The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 14, 2008, 09:40 PM   #1
MeekAndMild

Hungry lion on back porch?

OK, here is the scene as posted on snopes.com.

You are sitting in your kitchen with your kids playing on the floor. Then you look up and see a hungry 60 pound kitty cat watching them through your glass door. You don't have a solid door to close in his face. Do you grab your camera? Do you shoot through the glass door? Do you call 911? Do you open the side window and hope kitty stays around long enough for you to get a good shot?
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old April 14, 2008, 09:50 PM   #2
CPTMurdoc30

I am not grabbing no stinking camera untill that sucker is laying in a pool of his own blood from a 30 cal 165gr Hornady Interbond at close range.
Old April 14, 2008, 10:08 PM   #3
armoredman

While I believe 9mm is sufficient to deal with a 60 pound cat, I would be instructing the wife to retrieve her AK. Too close for a bolt action Enfield, unless I could spit him with the bayonet!
Old April 14, 2008, 11:15 PM   #4
predator86

now that cat was in fort dodge ia?? man that cat has been everywhere.....
Old April 14, 2008, 11:19 PM   #5
ActivShootr

Had that happened to me, the only pictures you guys would see would be of my new cat skin rug.
Old April 14, 2008, 11:23 PM   #6
Yithian

Those pics are nearly 4 years old now.
Every now and then they pop up as being in a different place.
Still, it is an awesome sight. "Aint they purdy."

It would be the first time 'dinner' came to the kitchen of its own will.
Yum.
Old April 14, 2008, 11:33 PM   #7
tplumeri

AW, Cmon, a 60 pounder?
i have a picture of my wife on a beach at a resort in south africa with 120 pounder, paws over her shoulders... no shots were fired.
and NO, you cant see the picture!
tom
Old April 15, 2008, 01:55 AM   #8
bhannah

chicago police just shot one today... thats rite cougars in chicago...
Old April 15, 2008, 04:35 AM   #9
rem870hunter

i wouldv'e got the kids outta the area fast and quiet. moved to my bedroom. and got 911 on the phone. if it busted into house and came looking for me and the kids. it wouldv'e got something it didn't want.
Old April 15, 2008, 05:17 AM   #10
Musketeer

When people ask why I like dogs and dislike cats I respond with the following.

"Plenty of people, myself included, have 100# dogs and are fine. When a cat gets to be 100# it will eat you."

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old April 15, 2008, 05:21 AM   #11
M14fan

What? Nobody else has cat food in #10 cans?
Old April 15, 2008, 06:36 AM   #12
DMacLeod

LOL, Since when did "cats" know how to open doors..... Sliding glass doors aren't as fragile as some may think. Now if it were a screen door, that would be a different story.

Long story short call animal control or take matters into your own hands with a 12 ga. Screw the rifles and pistols at that range. OO buck is much more
formidable.

Isn't that the same cat seen wandering around up in NH
Old April 15, 2008, 06:59 AM   #13
BrunoNorway

arent they dead scared of humans...? wouldent you just have to knock on the glass door a few times and maybe jell at it to make it run...
Old April 15, 2008, 07:51 AM   #14
Musketeer

Large cats being scared of humans is a myth. There have been plenty of mountain lion attacks on adults and children. These are dangerous predators and while pretty to look at they have no problems making a feast out of you.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old April 15, 2008, 09:00 AM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sixty pounds? Good eating size. Yummy tasty.

I dunno. Me, I alrady have a skin draped over my couch, so I'd probably go for the camera. At some point, the lion will wander off, or I'd go bang on the door if I had some errand to do.

For all the lion-attack stories we read about, they're usually in areas where lions are protected or when people put themselves into a prey position.

Children are at risk; they're the right size. A person sitting or bending over makes of himself a prey-like target. (I don't have a clue about the guy on the bicycle, out in California, as to how that came about. But "protected" means "no fear".)

My "playground" has been in lion country since 1972, and I've lived here in lion country since 1983. I see tracks around quite regularly, and have seen a couple of lions. The only problems have been up in the national park, and there have been but three or four problem events in some 30+ years.

Lions are not something I worry about...
Old April 15, 2008, 09:07 AM   #16
Jack O'Conner

These pictures were widely circulated over a year ago. The most believeable version is that the photos were taken at a rural home just outside of Lead, S. Dakota. (Black Hills)

TR
Old April 15, 2008, 10:13 AM   #17
Uncle Ben

No need to shoot through the glass, just get the kids out of there, grab something with enough power, and wait for it to either leave or actually attempt to come in.
Old April 15, 2008, 10:21 AM   #18
azredhawk44

Too much nerviness here.

Go upstairs with a familiar old rifle of just about any suitable caliber, and open a window a bit. Wait for him to wander back out into the night, and pop him about 25 yards from the house. Skin, wash, rinse, repeat.

Or just take a picture 'cause he's purdy. He isn't gonna beat down the door.
Old April 15, 2008, 05:50 PM   #19
RckyMtnHigh

I've had a few run-ins with the big cats, all times when I have not had a firearm. Luckily for me, they kept on their merry way.
Old April 16, 2008, 06:33 AM   #20
Jack O'Conner

I've seen only one cougar in the Black Hills and that was fairly close to to the town of Johnson Siding. It seemed suprised to see me and wasted no time in making its getaway. Ironically, it was not hunting season.

California seems to have a large population of these amazing animals. My friend John & I saw a big tom near Lake Berryessa in Napa County in broad daylight. It was neither menacing nor passive. The animal appeared to be passing through and largely ignored us.

Jack
Old April 16, 2008, 02:27 PM   #21
tplumeri

Quote:
Sixty pounds? Good eating size. Yummy tasty.
Hey Art,
what do they taste like?

PLEASE, nobody say "chicken"!!
Old April 16, 2008, 02:36 PM   #22
Yithian

I'm sure they taste like mountain lion.

Bobcat is good, but I hear lion is better.
Old April 16, 2008, 06:21 PM   #23
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Been a long time since a buddy of mine barbecued the hindquarters from a 60-pound lion. I don't know what sort of marinade (if any) or sauce he used. I recall it was tender, tasted good, and was very slightly sweet. At that party there was also beef, pork and venison. All was good. But, after folks tried that proverbial, "Well, I'll try a little bite." deal, the lion was the first empty tray...
Old April 20, 2008, 06:54 PM   #24
squibload

Gee you could kill that thing with your hands. You might get a little scrapped up but any man could do it. I remember reading about a sixty year old grandmother out with her grandchildren taking on a mountain lion. She killed it with her hands. It had gone for one of her grand kids and she grabbed it and beat it to death.

I used to live in Hercules California. One night I came home late and saw one jump through a hole in my fence. I'm sure it ate mostly deer. I was glad of that. What a pest those deer were. I couldn't get a garden of anything before those things would eat it up. I had to put webbing over anything I had growing. So in my opinion those cats can eat all the deer they want.
Old April 21, 2008, 06:39 AM   #25
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
You are sitting in your kitchen with your kids playing on the floor. Then you look up and see a hungry 60 pound kitty cat watching them through your glass door.
How do you know it is hungry?