The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 26, 2006, 11:31 AM   #1
an82cj7

trigger on 03

I have been working on a 03 springfield and would like to keep it stock but the trigger leaves a little to be desired the pull is verry stiff and the free travel is quite long what can i do to fix this with out going to a timley trigger?
Old February 26, 2006, 07:05 PM   #2
DnPRK

The 03 has a 2 stage trigger and is not a target quality trigger. However, it can be tuned so it doesn't take 2 men and a boy to pull.

I assume you have completely disassembled, cleaned and lightly lubed the trigger assembly and bolt. If not, do so.

With the barreled action out of the stock, the next step is to observe how the sear and sear mating surface on the firing pin rod fit together. I color the mating surfaces of the sear and firing pin rod with permanent marker. Then cock and dry fire several times. Remove the bolt and observe the wear pattern on the sear and firing pin rod. Ideally, the wear should be evenly distributed across both surfaces.

Heavy trigger pull is typically caused by contact on only on the right or left edge of the sear surface. If this is the case, you'll need to stone the sear until it bears evenly across the firing pin rod as viewed from above. Use a fine arkansas stone held square to the surface and go slowly. You do not want to alter the sear angle as viewed from the side, nor do you want to round the surface as viewed from above.
Old February 27, 2006, 10:08 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Please do not remove too much metal from the sear or cocking piece. And when you have smoothed up the pull, MAKE SURE that you have sear reset. To do this, cock the bolt, set the safety, pull the trigger hard and then release it, and move the safety to OFF. If the firing pin falls, you took off too much. Do NOT try to mess with the safety and ruin it, too. Buy a new sear and new firing pin rod.

Jim
Old February 28, 2006, 06:43 PM   #4
an82cj7

I have a 400 grit diamond hone i plan on using to clean up the sear and cocking piece would this be too agressive?