The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 1, 2002, 09:16 PM   #1
stick

post academy training

In conversation between several recent LE academy graduates a question came up regarding on-going training in defensive tactics. Bascially: how to improve the hand-to-hand skills taught to them in the academy. They all want to train regularly (at least weekly) in "something" that is 1) Immediately applicable and 2) Defensible in the relm of "policy and proceedure". None of them are all that interested in "forms, katas or tournament rules". They recognize a need for personal improvement in a survival skill.

All in SoCal so there is a cast sea of training choices. Krav Maga, Gracie's BJJ, Vunak's JKD plus the normal array of MA's are fairly accessible.

Any ideas? If you don't mind, please ID if you are LEO or a trainer/training partner of one.

Thanks for any input.
Old August 1, 2002, 09:43 PM   #2
madgrad

My opinion is bigotted but.... I'd say go for Krav Maga. As it is the quickest to learn, trains you understress and exhaustion, does not have any bs Katas, rules or tournements,and the LA Center has specific regular classes open to law enforcement only. Darren Levine the guy that brought it to the U.S. is an District Attorney in So Cal. They also have the best defenses against gun, knife, and stick attacks pertanent to what cops and corrections officers get attacked with on regular basis.

I've been doing Krav for 2 years now. It's been great watching it grow. In my school a good third of the people taking are Police officers.They are very happy with it.

Not to mention that you live in the geographic for it.
Old August 2, 2002, 01:28 PM   #3
wingnutx

I have several feds in my Krav Maga class, and they run seminars for local PDs. Check it out if you have a local instructor. Anything that combines striking and grappling in a realistic environment, I would think is ideal. Seperate boxing and BJJ classes, maybe.
Old August 5, 2002, 02:44 AM   #4
borderjeeper

Look into San Soo Kung Foo. I've just started taking classes and I find this form of MA easily adapts to LE work. In addition it is not tightly structured. We learn basic techniques then practice using free form exercises.
Old August 5, 2002, 09:18 AM   #5
Demi Barbito

I dunno nothin but I'd check out...

www.DemiBarbito.com

I think it's what your looking for.
Old August 7, 2002, 08:49 AM   #6
Brian Killing Tangos

Try this site also:

www.tonyblauer.com

I attended his Officer Survival School and I learned a lot! It's a week long school but you can get a taste at a Caliber Press Street Survival Seminar.