The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 4, 1999, 01:50 PM   #1
bk40

I bought several boxes of Federal's Personal Defense, low recoil, 12ga #2 shot ammo.

Anyone have experience with this or any other Federal P.D. s/g ammo? I'm thinking this will be good ammo for a house defense load. Any opinions?

------------------
- bk40
Old May 4, 1999, 04:27 PM   #2
dundee

take your home defense shotgun somewhere you can pattern it at house ranges, 5 to 50ft? See what the pattern looks like. We know how they test handgun bullets for penetration but I have never read of shotgun pellets tested in the same media.
War stories tell us the close range scattergun is VERY effective, but again I have never read any study done on this.
One of the africa hunting writers tells of shooting a female lion out of the middle of her spring with a 20 ga. loaded with bird shot. Head shots count.
Old May 6, 1999, 02:03 PM   #3
S Dodson

We tested the Federal Personal Defense Shotshell last December. We performed penetration and pattern testing using an 18" modified cylinder bbl Remington 870P. The design of the Federal PD Shotshell shotcup produces a shot pattern that spreads at twice the rate (approximately 2" for every yard of travel) as conventional shotshells. Our article, with photos, is published on the Internet at: http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs13.htm

------------------
Shawn Dodson
http://www.firearmstactical.com