The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 23, 2016, 08:15 PM   #1
EnoughGUN

winchester super x1 info

I just purchased an sx1 for trap. It is a late trap model I believe a stage 3 trigger, vent rib, 30in barrel and full choke. It has gold inlay in the scroll work and a gold grip cap. I cant find any info on that exact trim. Could the grip cap be an add on?

Another weird addition it has a recoil absorbing butt plate and a monsterous 15.5 length of pull.

any info on the edition would be appreciated.

also, isnt full choke a lot for trap?I was under the impression mod was normal for trap.

Last edited by EnoughGUN; November 23, 2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old November 23, 2016, 08:18 PM   #2
FITASC

Pics would help; 15.5 isn't THAT outrageous, but it is a tad long for most short folks; sounds like a great trap gun.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 23, 2016, 08:22 PM   #3
Kvon2

I don't know much about some of the other questions but some people do use full choke for trap...they really let it fly out there.

I would say most casual trap shooters use either modified or improved modified though.
Old November 23, 2016, 08:47 PM   #4
EnoughGUN

sx1

Pic added
Old November 23, 2016, 09:07 PM   #5
Rifletom

I take it being a fixed full choke? I'd take that baby to the range and see what it's got. Looks nice. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old November 23, 2016, 09:33 PM   #6
bobn

nu line sells original stocks for reasonable, also check the buffer. mine was rotten.
...mine is a trap full choke also. works good for me. I also use it for sporting clays. bob

Last edited by bobn; November 23, 2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old November 23, 2016, 11:10 PM   #7
EnoughGUN

sx1

Not sure why most guns have over 14inch length of pull, seems most people are 13 range but whatever. This seems a bit long so thinking about selling the stock and getting a shorter one. Also thinking about having the barrel bored for chokes.
Anyone know anything about the gold cap?
Old November 24, 2016, 08:29 AM   #8
Virginian

American Trap is shot pre mounted and a lot of trap shooters like a little longer length of pull, especially if they are lanky. Full is pretty standard for experienced trap and/or handicap shooters, and many go with extra full, especially for practice.
The Super X 1 was the first really good semi automatic shotgun Winchester ever produced after they turned down John Browning's offer to license the Auto 5 and pay royalties. Remington and FN were delighted. Unfortunately for them, the 1100 was already firmly entrenched by the time they came out with it, and one look tells you where they got their styling cues. The gold in the rollmarking may have been added as many did that with the gold fill kits back then. I assume it has an aftermarket buffer - the weak point of the original design - and it should serve you extremely well for it's intended purpose.
Old November 24, 2016, 11:22 AM   #9
EnoughGUN

sx1

I dont have very long arms (im 5'10"), my lop should be about 13.5 depending on which method you use. I am debating buying a replacement stock and forarm maybe in a higher grade wood.
My other option is having this stock shortened and dropping the comb down all the way which defeats all the work done to it.
Old November 24, 2016, 12:09 PM   #10
bobn

I shot mine with a lowered comb and it changed the point of impact. also the view of the rib. both for the worse. the standard monte carlo trap stock is already a pretty high grade of wood....bob
Old November 24, 2016, 01:20 PM   #11
dreaming

Is that an add on bump master typer recoil reducer on it? It may have been owned by big guy. Regardless, can't the recoil reducer be removed, and if you like it then the stock is cut and the reducer is ground to fit the shortened stock. No?
Old November 24, 2016, 02:25 PM   #12
FITASC

Quote:
Not sure why most guns have over 14inch length of pull, seems most people are 13 range but whatever
Actually, the only folks who want less than 14" are the folks who shoot M4s and use shotguns squared up like they are shooting an AR. Target and wing shooters, especially those who use a SxS, know that the longer LOP, coupled with proper fitting, gives the best result. This applies to folks from 5'-6" to 6'-6"
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 24, 2016, 04:07 PM   #13
EnoughGUN

sx1

Yeah I thought about either just taking off the reducer or cutting the stock down then refitting it but I have no experience with that. The length coupled with the adjustable comb being too high I think a new stock might just be easier and cheaper.

Unless im measuring wrong goibg be all the methods and chearts im seeing my length of pull should be aabout 13.5. The gun is 15.5 now and it is very uncomfortable to shoulder. I have to stretch to bring it up without it catching my armpit.
The comb is too high even at its lowest. I can get a flat sight plane but I have to force it.
Old November 24, 2016, 07:03 PM   #14
dreaming

You have to see a reputable gun fitter. I can't imagine any charts suggesting that a 5"10" male should have a 13.5" LOP. I am 5"8" and my gun has been set up for an LOP a hair less than 14" by cutting 1/4" of wood off and using a thinner pad. I am not so sure that I don't shoot better or as well with the thicker pad and an LOP of about 14.25".

I don't know how easy it is to remove that recoil reducer, but if you can get it off and someone has some old recoil pads, try temporarily fixing them to your stock with double sided automotive tape from 3M. If not that, get a slip on pad. Then if you want to make the LOP a little longer you just add some cardboard in the bottom of the slip on pad before slipping it on the stock.

Most likely you need to learn how to mount the gun.
Old November 24, 2016, 07:34 PM   #15
EnoughGUN

sx1

Dreaming if you measure from the inside bend of your arm to the last joint on your trigger finger how long is it?
Old November 25, 2016, 04:51 PM   #16
FITASC

That is NOT an accurate way of determining proper gun fit or LOP. There is a LOT more to proper fit than the length of the stock. The tightness of the grip radius, the drop at heel, drop at comb, thickness of the comb, cast on or off, toe in or out, pitch, etc. all play a crucial role. Shotgun LOP is not the same as rifle LOP. You should not be scrunched up on the stock and too short of a stock will make that happen.
Old November 25, 2016, 07:34 PM   #17
EnoughGUN

sx1

I borrowed my buddy's 1100 that fits me perfect and compqred the two. The 1100 has a 14inch LOP. When I shoulder it the sight line is right on without me forcing down on the comb and my cheek is maybe two inches from my thumb. Im going to shoot with it tomorrow again and pay attention to how it fits me. I believe my 16 has a 14.5 LOP so when it is fixed ill compare the two and see which fits better.
Old November 27, 2016, 10:35 PM   #18
EnoughGUN

sx1

Anyone know if it is possible to have the barrel of this bored for chokes?
Old November 28, 2016, 08:04 AM   #19
FITASC

Shouldn't be any issue having it threaded. Mike Orlen in MA or Briley in Houston can do the job
Old December 3, 2016, 02:10 PM   #20
FastGame

You bought the gun for trap and that is the trap model SX 1 with one of the best patterning barrels made, why would you ruin it with choke tubes ? That barrel is excellent from 16 to 27 yrd. in trap. If you want chokes get Briley thinwalls and be done with it, they know the SX 1 well and do excellent work.

Remove that recoil setup and get Limbsaver, Decelerator or Kick-EEZ pad installed for your correct length. SX 1 doesn't beat you up on recoil and any of those pads work great.
Old January 31, 2017, 03:34 PM   #21
stuckinthe60s

check your bbl markings. does it say TRAP FULL or just TRAP?
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old January 31, 2017, 09:23 PM   #22
reynolds357

When I shot competition trap, my over and under was full in the bottom barrel, and extra full in the top barrel. My handicap barrel was xfull in the bottom barrel and xxfull in the top barrel.
Old February 2, 2017, 04:56 PM   #23
stuckinthe60s

the grip cap is aftermarket.
there is an adjustment inside the butt unit to adjust lop.
Old February 2, 2017, 05:18 PM   #24
FITASC

Before you go butchering up what many consider THE best semi ever made, take a deep breath. I might be interested in it if it just isn't going to work out for you. Once you start messing with the barrel, etc., values tend to tank quickly - ESPECIALLY if done by a shade tree gunsmith.
Old February 2, 2017, 06:41 PM   #25
stuckinthe60s

don't you think the gun is already butchered with that stock?
I would agree not to ruin the perfect barrel at this point.