The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 17, 2012, 08:57 AM   #51
FJ4ZROX

I own both the GSR and a M1A.

- the GSR is light & well thought out...great to hike with
- the M1A is a heavy battle rifle that is also well thought out and reliable

Both are chambered in 308...more barrel options for different intended uses for the M1A.

I don't think I could recommend 1 over the other, barring felt recoil (bolt is obviously a little stiffer) and budget issues.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:04 AM   #52
robertsig

My holy grail is the Ruger Scout "Export" version. It comes with an 18" barrel instead of 16", and stainless as well. Ballistically should be similar to the M1A Scout.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but if anyone knows how to get ahold of one, let us know.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:06 PM   #53
checkmyswag

I appreciate the folks who say, "go shoot all of them then choose".

You guys must have some wealthy and well armed friends.

Maybe if I shot a M1A I'd "get" it. They seem extremely popular though pretty expensive.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:34 PM   #54
NWPilgrim

I've owned a couple of M1As, Garands, AR15s, and bolt rifles, though not the GSR.

I think a big factor is whether you want to use optics down the road. If so, the bolt action and AR are better suited for that.

While I like the M1 family, I prefer the two gun approach for all around utility and convenience and cost. Anything for the M1A is going to cost a lot more than the AR or bolt. Mounts, parts, barrels, mags, ammo. And it will be heavier. Lots heavier.

The AR has excellent iron sights, is cheap to shoot and can have excellent accuracy. It is better suited for most home defense purposes. A bolt action, not just the GSR, is much lighter to carry in the hills, can shoot a wider range of velocities/ammo, and is cheaper and easier to scope and will be more compact as well. You won't need abunch of high capacity mags for the bolt since you would have the AR. You can get an accurate Savage bolt rifle with scope for a fraction of an equivalent M1A setup.

As a lover of the M1/M1A it pains me to say it. I think a bolt rifle and AR is a more handy, versatile, and cost effective combination. But if I only had an M1 rifle I could still be happy!
Old May 18, 2012, 10:49 PM   #55
cookie5

The old Springfields with GI parts were real nice rifles the newer ones with made in Taiwan parts aren't so. A high quality M1a is an incredible long lasting reliable rifle. Can't beat a high quality AR or AK type. IMO the 16 inch Ruger Scout is too short.
Old May 19, 2012, 08:35 PM   #56
Tucker 1371

M1A all the way, I've shot M16A2/A4s, M4s, AR15s, and some AKs and for me the only thing thats more fun to shoot than my M1A Scout is a belt fed weapon which are hard to come by for $1500 (ok more like impossible).

Best investment I've ever made in a firearm hands down.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old June 6, 2012, 10:01 AM   #57
chadio

Don't forget to take a good look at the new Colt MT6700 (or a version by any number of other good manufacturers)

- 20" barrel
- long sight radius
- std peep / post sights
- removable carry handle / option to mount optics to the flat top

As much as I like the M14 / M1A, the one above will be terribly enjoyable, cheaper to feed and give less recoil.
Old June 6, 2012, 01:19 PM   #58
mavracer

Hey Kraig M1As are tough but I'll bet the farm they've gone through more recoil springs than all the bolt guns have.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old June 6, 2012, 01:26 PM   #59
Keg

I don't understand the talk of recoil on an M1A....It should not even be a factor....My SOCOM 16 is extremely mild in the recoil dept......
Old June 6, 2012, 01:46 PM   #60
chadio

Quote:
I don't understand the talk of recoil on an M1A....It should not even be a factor....My SOCOM 16 is extremely mild in the recoil dept......
.. compared to what? An AR15? A 30 - .06? .308 bolt gun? .22?
AK47? It's all relative. There is a difference.
Old June 7, 2012, 08:47 AM   #61
kraigwy

Quote:
Hey Kraig M1As are tough but I'll bet the farm they've gone through more recoil springs than all the bolt guns have
I wouldn't know, I never changed the recoil spring on my M1A, of course I've only been shooting it for 35 years. But I've shot the heck out of it, practicing and shooting it in competition when I shot for the Guard.

But to be fair, I've never change recoil springs on any of my guns, many older then my 4 diget (0068XX) M1A.

If I may drift off topic a bit, I don't know why people get hung up on recoil springs, I never changed one as I said, even on my Series 70 Gold Cup which is nearly as old as my M1A, and I've shot a ton of Military Hardball out of it, all with the springs that came with it. Still shoot it, Shot a 900 45 Bullseye and 30 round EIC match with it just a week ago last Sunday.

Back to topic, choose the rifle that suits you, but don't say the M1A isn't reliable. Its in the same "indestructible class" as it's daddy, the M1 Garand.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 7, 2012, 10:18 AM   #62
mavracer

Quote:
I wouldn't know, I never changed the recoil spring on my M1A, of course I've only been shooting it for 35 years.
Your missing the point. My 114 year old Krag and my 94 year old P17 don't have recoil springs to replace so nobody has ever changed one out.
So while the M1A is most certainly a reliable rifle. Bolts are more reliable.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old June 7, 2012, 10:19 AM   #63
Keg

Quote:
.. compared to what? An AR15? A 30 - .06? .308 bolt gun? .22?
AK47? It's all relative. There is a difference.
Well yes..It does have more than a 22...less than a 30-06 or 308 bolt....
My M1A is short and has a steel butt plate...Everyone I have let shoot it comments on how mild the recoil is.....So I call it a non factor....
Old June 7, 2012, 11:09 AM   #64
Crow Hunter

Quote:
Your missing the point. My 114 year old Krag and my 94 year old P17 don't have recoil springs to replace so nobody has ever changed one out.
So while the M1A is most certainly a reliable rifle. Bolts are more reliable
And a single shot rifle is even more reliable, because it doesn't have a magazine spring.

And a rock is even more reliable because it has no springs.

Which do you consider more "effective"?

Good luck.
Old June 7, 2012, 11:18 AM   #65
kraigwy

Quote:
So while the M1A is most certainly a reliable rifle. Bolts are more reliable.
Maybe...............maybe not.

The NRA did an article a while back about sniper rifles in Vietnam.

In comparing the M21 (M14) and the M-40 (Model 700 Remington) it was found that the M21 spent less time in the maintance shops then did the Marines M-40.
Old June 10, 2012, 05:24 PM   #66
PH/CIB

I always read Kraig's posts anyone who burnt up an M60 Machine Gun in Viet Nam in combat, and spent a lifetime in long range rifle shooting is someone to take seriously.

The OP is torn between an M1A or buying for the same money the Ruger Scout rifle and an AK or AR...For me the answer is easy,,,just me but I am not interested in the Ruger Scout rifle and the AK's I like the old Robinson Arms Vepr's and milled receiver Arsenals cost almost as much as the M1A...Ditto for the AR's I like they all cost over a grand...so for the price of an M1A I could not buy two rifles.

I have the M1A, FAL, AR10, PTR91 and Vepr AK in 308 and some AR's and AK's and I like all of them,,,but I understand the OP's thinking,,,whether you are just starting out and on a budjet,,,or have collected firearms for a lifetime,,,it is sometimes hard to figure out how to best spend your money.
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old June 10, 2012, 06:31 PM   #67
jimbob86

Quote:
You forget that recoil is mostly subjective: it's a perception thing and much of that perception is based on the shooter's experience and training (and lack thereof) .....

Back in the days of 9+ pound wood stocked battle rifles and 600 yard rifle ranges, military recruits worked out with their rifles, shot them a lot, and military service was pretty common. Even city boys that joined the Navy learned to manage a .30 cal rifle.....

Now, military service is not very common, and relatively few people in the .mil shoot anything bigger than an M-4 ......

The people that do shoot anything .308 WIN or larger for the first time often have little or no experience or training in dealing with what "normal" recoil is, particularly when they are shooting a really light, short rifle such as the GSR ..... they don't pull the gun into their chest, don' t get a good cheek weld*, and when it whacks them, it's "ZOMG!!!!!!111111!!!! That thing kicks like a mule!"

*Often, the stocks of many guns don't have a high enough comb for the ginormous "moonscopes" that have to be mounted so very high so their objective lenses will not contact the barrel .... and the shooters must raise their heads off the stock to get a sight picture..... when the gun fires, instead of the gun and shooter moving back as a unit, their head is momentarily stationary, until their neck pulls it back and down- they call this "whiplash" in auto crashes- and can cause the cheek to hit the stock and/or the scope to whack them in the eyebrow .... I've seen both happen. Once a shooter has this happen to him, he'll forever believe that the .308 or .30-06 is a mule kicking round.....
Old June 11, 2012, 11:18 AM   #68
Keg

Quote:
Now, military service is not very common, and relatively few people in the .mil shoot anything bigger than an M-4 ......
Quote:
Well yes..It does have more than a 22...less than a 30-06 or 308 bolt....
My M1A is short and has a steel butt plate...Everyone I have let shoot it comments on how mild the recoil is.....So I call it a non factor....
Jim Bob...The fellas that shot my Socom had AR's and shot them regularly....
My wife shoots a Ruger Hawkeye 77..in 308....Her rifle has more recoil and it is light....So I still call non factor....
Old June 11, 2012, 12:16 PM   #69
jimbob86

Quote:
My wife shoots a Ruger Hawkeye 77..in 308....Her rifle has more recoil and it is light....So I still call non factor....
I'll bet she has learned how to handle it.

It is a factor for most new shooters that have not learned proper technique, something that shooting a .22lr or AR will not necessarily ingrain..... if you doubt me, put the stock of a .308 bolty to your groin and touch off a round. In basic training, one of the DI's demonstrated how tame the M16a1 was by emptying a 30 round mag on full auto with the buttstock over his crotch......
Old June 11, 2012, 01:21 PM   #70
chadio

checkmyswag:

Until you figure out which rifle is perfect for you , I suggest finding an SKS and 500 rounds (cheap entertainment) . You will have something that is highly affordable and enjoyable to shoot while you research the other rifles listed above.
Old June 11, 2012, 01:31 PM   #71
Keg

Quote:
It is a factor for most new shooters that have not learned proper technique, something that shooting a .22lr or AR will not necessarily ingrain.....
Jim Bob...I would think that most folks..that are considering buying an M1A are not new shooters....I don't really know where this new shooters talk came from....

Proper technique..to me..is from the shoulder..not the groin....
Old June 11, 2012, 01:58 PM   #72
jimbob86

@keg- I was commenting on the comments questioning a .308 bolt gun as having objectionable recoil ..... I always thought of 30-06 150 gr @ 2800 f/sec out of a hunting weight rifle as "standard" .....
Old June 11, 2012, 04:40 PM   #73
Last Escape Pod

M1A seems like it could do both the job of the scout rifle and an ar 15. However, if you want a survivalist/prepper opinion, a full size M1A might be unwieldy when clearing buildings.
Old June 11, 2012, 06:25 PM   #74
checkmyswag

Gunsite scout rifle is out. That leaves me with M1A and AR type rifles.
Old June 11, 2012, 06:57 PM   #75
kraigwy

Quote:
It is a factor for most new shooters that have not learned proper technique, something that shooting a .22lr or AR will not necessarily ingrain.....
I ain't buying that one bit.

Small bore (22s and air rifles) are excellent means to learn fundamentals. They are less forgiving then high power rifles.