The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 1, 2008, 09:05 AM   #1
djonathang

Non-lead regulation clarification

Hello All,

I live in California, and just received my deer tags for this season. Along with the tags came a notice about the ban on lead ammunition in the Condor area...

Much to my surprise, the language says, "...you will be required to use non0ead projectiles to hunt big-game and non0game species beginning July 1, 2008. In addition, while hunting these species in this area hunters may not possess any lead projectiles/ammunition and a firearm capable of firing that lead projectile or ammunition."

Okay, I understand the nonlead part, but the firearm part has me lost. Does this mean it's only archery? Is it not true that any firearm can shoot lead or nonlead?

Anyone care to clarify.

Thanks.

DG
Marlin 39A - Something to shoot while the .270 cools off.
Old August 1, 2008, 09:17 AM   #2
OnTheFly

Quote:
...hunters may not possess any lead projectiles/ammunition and a firearm capable of firing that lead projectile or ammunition.
This is just my guess, but I believe it is saying that if you had lead projectiles without a firearm that could fire them, then you are not in violation of the regulation. So if you had .308 rounds with lead bullets, but your rifle was a .270 caliber, then you wouldn't be in violation.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old August 1, 2008, 09:24 AM   #3
djonathang

OnTheFly,

I never would have got that. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for clarifying.

DG
Old August 1, 2008, 09:54 AM   #4
davlandrum

Quote:
Makes perfect sense

Nothing about this makes any sense except to California politicians...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old August 1, 2008, 12:03 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

So what could they do to someone out hiking that is found to be in possession of half a bag of #8 lead shot but no weapon? Would be as heinous as being caught with half a bag of *ACME handy dandy condor poison*
Brent
Old August 8, 2008, 09:10 PM   #6
crowbeaner

Nope. It just means you have to use Barnes X bullets that are made of solid copper or gilding metal. Everybody knows that the land of fruits and nuts never made any sense with any OTHER legislation, so why should they start now? AHNOLD must be listening to Maria and Uncle Ted Kennedy; we all know how pro gun THEY are. Shoot the effing condors into extinction and there won't be any NEED for the asinine law. JUST DON'T GET CAUGHT!
Old August 8, 2008, 09:14 PM   #7
djonathang

Well,

Tomorrow is opening day for Deer here in California. I'm loaded with all copper for my .270. Hopefully: 1) I have the opportunity. 2) I take advantage of the opportunity. 3) The all copper does it's part.

I'll report back if there's something to mention.

Cheers.

DG
Old August 8, 2008, 10:02 PM   #8
MeekAndMild

crowbeaner, I would hope you were joking on your comments, as up until now I thought you to be a decent guy.

On a similar thread in L&P I predicted that this would be one of the laws which would prove to hasten the extinction of the condor. My conjecture was they'd be poisoned. There was a some discussion about what sort of person would kill them. My conjecture was that it would probably be either teenagers or the sort of "poacher types" who cut fences and leave garbage on other people's property or PETA operatives.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old August 9, 2008, 03:05 PM   #9
crowbeaner

Merely biting sarcasm.