The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 24, 2005, 01:32 AM   #1
magnut

spray finishes and chemicals available locally

I have been looking through the brownells catalog alot lately. I purchased some of the steel white for stipping blue. While using it I found that this stuff leaves a black goo on the parts. Called brownells and spoke with a tech and he said steel white does that and if I wanted something to strip bluing try naval jelly. Picked some up at lowes and it works like a charm. It looks like brownells takes alot of common chemicals, puts the brownell name on it and charges bucho bucks.

I have also been interested in some of the spray on finishes. Are there any products I can buy locally that will work like some of these epoxy type finishes. I have been wanting to try some clear cote enamel type finishes to put over white polished steel to gaurd against corrosion. Or even possibly a black enamel/ epoxy finish. Are their any automotive sprays that will work well on firearms. I am not looking for anything to be as good as a factory finish but I dont want to spend a buch of $ on brownells sprays to be disapointed like I have been in the past. I see teflon paints, lacquer paints, and enamal/epoxy paints out there. Whats the difference? How much better are these brands from brownells from ones I can pick up at autozone or wallmart? Help me out guys.
Old March 26, 2005, 07:41 PM   #2
briang2ad

try this...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=166371

It seems that KGI is about the best from what I can tell...