The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: Realtree or Mossy oak Camo pattern?
Real Tree 11 29.73%
Mossy Oak 15 40.54%
other 11 29.73%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 2, 2001, 06:02 PM   #1
Killit n Grillit

Camo? Realtree or Mossy Oak?

Which is your prefered camo pattern? Realtree or Mossy Oak?
Old August 2, 2001, 10:40 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm mostly a deer hunter, so I don't need camo. I do tend toward dull-surface, tan or green clothing.

When dove hunting, I generally go with the same clothes, with maybe a camo-pattern gimme-cap. I've read that doves don't like a blue color, but have no idea why...

Art
Old August 6, 2001, 10:49 AM   #3
handgunhunting

it is best to mix the camo pattrens so you get a good mix and break up you form
Old August 6, 2001, 11:27 AM   #4
Poodleshooter

My last few years hunting have convinced me that except for turkeys, camo is not as big a deal as we make of it. Quiet camo that doesn't make you sweat and stink is better than pretty camo.
Old August 6, 2001, 12:49 PM   #5
Jakem952

Mossy Oak...

It maybe the name of the product or the styles that Mossy Oak produces, but it does not seem to affect my hunting. When I am 50 feet in the air, it does not matter. Mossy Oak does have a good look.

Thanks
South Georgia Hunter,
Jake
TAPCO-World's finest shooting and military gear
http://www.tapco.com
Old August 9, 2001, 03:58 AM   #6
Guyon

I wear mostly Mossy Oak, but I do have some Advantage Timber. They look fairly similar.

Realtree is not really a pattern by itself of course. They market Hardwoods, X-tra Brown, Hardwoods Snow, Blaze, etc. And the same guy that developed Realtree also developed the Advantage patterns.
Old August 9, 2001, 03:20 PM   #7
scouter27

PREDATOR!!! All the way. It is the best patern ever developed. And the creator is a nice guy to boot. He doesn't own the rights to it anymore, I don't think so anyway, but he still sells it on wool, wolfskin, and cotton at www.marcssweatshop.com. It is also very intimidating to look at.
Old August 10, 2001, 09:28 PM   #8
CoyDog

Back in the early 90's, Cabelas has a proprietary camo pattern called Konifer that was great. It had large brown/black/tan blocks of color interspersed with green spruce needles. Unfortunately, it is no longer made.

I think most of the popular camo patterns today are the products of marketing, rather than actual hunting effectiveness. Many have too many small details that fade out at a distance and appear solid, negating the effect.

The best camo of all is remaining motionless.

CoyDog
Old August 13, 2001, 10:03 AM   #9
KYE-OAT

Nat-Gear

Nat-Gear is the best.
Old August 13, 2001, 10:27 AM   #10
handgunhunting

most camo now days have too much detail. This detail is lost at distances and will show up as a blob
what everyone should do is first look at you hunting clothing under a black light, then if it dosnt glow you take it out side and place it by a tree in some brush walk back about 50-100 yards and look. how much detail do you really see?
Old August 13, 2001, 08:54 PM   #11
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Hardly matters for our deer/elk trips as we have to wear 500 square inches of blaze orange vest-things anyway here in CO + "a hat-thing that's visible from all directions."

The blaze orange doesn't seem to matter one whit to deer/elk.
I don't see how camo makes any difference for these critters.

We've had elk/deer/turkeys walk through camp when we had a camp fire going ..... last buck deer I shot was from my camp chair.

We do however use fleece-type gear that does minimalize the noise & it is camo.

My bud goes for the regular mil-spec-type woodland camo & I use a real-tree brown all-purpose. Both disappear very readily & in varying woodland scenarios.

We got "the stuff" from Cabela's in a Gore-Tex fleece. All-purpose outer gear that is its own life support system = stops the wind dead in its tracks & doesn't allow wet to penetrate to our insulation layers. Big plus at -10 degrees & when the snow's flyin' ...

When turkey hunting, we aren't required to wear the orange/wear the same gear (at least for spring hunts = still gets cold in CO in early April/May) .... We each have walked within 10 feet or so of each other at times = zero detection till a friendly "Hi." Both camo patterns are effective if you pick your background AND hold movement to a minimum.

That we bought high-tech GT fleece camo is very much secondary to the way we hunt - it matters only to ourselves & not to the game we hunt - except for the more "silent" nature of fleece.

Exercize minimal movements & watch the wind - doubtful you'll really "need" any more than that.
Old August 13, 2001, 09:20 PM   #12
handgunhunting

Look at it this way the military can afford the best camo ever made, but what do they use? woodland , white and desert. The woodland and desert both have large patches of color and not a lot of details
Old August 14, 2001, 04:49 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

People see colors. Birds see colors. Deer don't--nor do elk or coyotes or...It's all shades of gray to them.

Camo is great for hiding from people--until you move, and then it stands out more than a solid, drab earth-toned color.

, Art
Old August 15, 2001, 05:58 PM   #14
scouter27

Just as a note about the Military. They could afford the best/most expensive camo, if they didn't have millions of units to buy. Woodland is effective, but it isn't that great. The regular kakhi and 'chocolate chip' BDU's work better in desert's (different kinds). I still think Predator is the best, with ASAT coming in 2nd. Maybe once I'm in the Army I'll suggest Predator Fall Brown as a replacement for woodland. The Marines changed, so why not the Army?
Old August 17, 2001, 03:30 PM   #15
jonesboy

Flektarn / Alpenflage

I prefer either Flektarn (German) or Alpenflage (Swiss) to any of the domestically produced camos, including Realtree/Mossy Oak. Both of them are easily found on eBay in a variety of weights (my winter set of Alpenflage has rubberized knees and elbows for soak-free crawling) and for generally far less money than the "hunting" patterns.

Just my $0.02.

-Matt
Old August 21, 2001, 10:15 PM   #16
Mannlicher

I prefer to wear green, brown, or some other earth tone color. I still like wool pants and shirts. The deer I shoot do not seem to mind that I am not accoutered in the currently touted camo rip off patterns. Come on, camo wallets, eye glass cases and the like are just affectations. So are the camo clothes sold by the millions to hunters.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 22, 2001, 06:55 PM   #17
CD1

The military gets all its equipment made by the lowest bidder.
Old August 23, 2001, 08:52 PM   #18
skoonz

There is no best camo pattern, just some that work best in the environment you hunt in. I don't usually bother with camo except for birds.

In the arctic none of these would be any good, but I aint going summer goose shooting in snow camo.
Old August 24, 2001, 08:23 AM   #19
Turk

None of the above.

I use Vietnam era Tiger Strip.

Concerning Camo I lot of people like their rifles and shotguns camo. I don't. I like a nicely blued barrel and a good grain of wood for the stock and forearm.

Won't own a camo. Last year I picked up a Super Black Eagle at a good price blued and wood becasue everyone whats camo.

Turk