The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 24, 2015, 06:46 PM   #201
kilimanjaro

We can, but what's the question? Are there two of them? Is one still moving after being hit? Should I move after returning fire?

Maybe there were two. Or four. Now it's one less and part of the mall is controlled by a good guy.

You shot one, he's still moving. Can he fire a weapon? Shoot him again and secure his weapon. Kill him or he may detonate a vest you don't see.

Keep moving, don't stand there wondering what to do next.
Old November 24, 2015, 09:15 PM   #202
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
The readers here can not see this type of situation, actually happening?
I didn't want to tell you about how I was waiting above peering down through the skylights and saw the terrorists moments before you engaged them. Luckily, on this day I decided to bring my full bug-out pack on the trip to the mall with my wife as an integrated training exercise. Included in my pack was a set of small remote charges designed to shatter glass and destroy locks. I blew the glass of one pane of the skylight timed perfectly with your second shot, then silently rappelled down directly behind the one gunman you tagged AND his TWELVE co-conspirators.
Distracted by your shooting and the shattering of window displays, they didn't even notice my descent. Worse situational awareness than Bolsheviks. I think to myself, good time to prove out those +2 extensions on my 9mm Baby Glock, so I drop my suppressed 300 BO SBR attached to my just donned tactical vest by a custom single point sling, draw my sidearm, screw on my Osprey 9, and smoothly place one bullet in each of the unsuspecting terrorists. Center of mass. They all go down, but it immediately becomes clear the pointman you took wasn't the leader. The last man was, and, as leader, was issued body armor scavenged off a fallen US soldier in Iraq. Terrorist coward.
It's apparent my 9mm ++P++ has hit him like a jackhammer in the back temporarily incapacitating him, but he is still moving and trying unsuccessfully to regain his feet. Good thing I packed an extra mag. I only expected to need it for a malfunction, but, unfortunately, I find myself in one of the only 5% of defense situations where one mag is not enough. With the terrorist slowed by the previously mentioned blunt trauma, I have just enough time to change magazines and take off the Osprey. With this precision shot I can't afford the negative accuracy affects and increased bullet drop from lost FPS the Osprey causes. I take the shot, nerves cold as steel and the terrorist drops.
Without missing a beat, I walk to the right where an unmarked steel door leads to a utility closet. I open it to find a five gallon bucket I knew would be there as all unmarked doors are utility closets and all utility closets contain five gallon buckets. I remove the bucket and place it upside down on the light grey tiles of the mall floor right up against the white painted concrete wall. The same generic grey tiles and white painted concrete found in malls across this great nation. I take a seat and begin using my feet to push the shards of broken glass away from my seat; clearing an area to sit comfortably just as a medium sized commercial drone dips into the building through the hole I blasted in the broken skylight. As it approaches a small aluminum foil wrapped cylindrical payload is visible under its straining chassis.
It descends to within a half meter and I reach out to retrieve the payload. Still warm. As I unwrap the Moe's Southwestern Grill Homewrecker I admire the perfectly proportioned mix of seasoned rice, black beans, shredded cheese, and pico de gallo, lettuce. Holding it in my left hand I waft in the sharp stinging scent of fresh jalapenos. Even more impressive is the ability of the drone to successfully track the RFID chip in my Moe's customer loyalty card and navigate through the broken window; even after I left the designated rooftop drone delivery pad. I settle in to enjoy my meal, but I am promptly interrupted by my approaching wife. Oblivious to everything going on, she has completed her shopping in a record setting 30 minutes and is ready to go home, AND she has only spent $100 on presents that will have to be shipped internationally to her nieces and nephews. I had been expecting her to continue her shopping until well after the 24 hours news cycle had moved onto the next tragedy. The second drone with my bag full of freshly fried tortilla chips hasn't even arrived yet. Sacrifices must be made, and I beat a hasty retreat. The NSA can surely track the RFID cheap as easily as the drone if the authorities have any questions.

I just didn't think that was the direction you wanted to go with the fantasy, so I didn't reply at first.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; November 24, 2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old November 24, 2015, 09:56 PM   #203
rickyrick

So thats how its done.... I need to bone up on Tom Clancy
Old November 24, 2015, 10:16 PM   #204
44 AMP
Staff

apparently Gecko 45 is still with us, in spirit, at least...
Old November 24, 2015, 10:28 PM   #205
kilimanjaro

So, you repelled them while rapelling, outstanding tacticoolness, indeed.
Old November 24, 2015, 10:41 PM   #206
johnwilliamson062

I fixed that rappell bit.
I'm not going back and fixing all the tense changes though.
Or any of the punctuation.
Old November 24, 2015, 10:46 PM   #207
TXAZ

I'm guessing you guys don't have to pee in a cup periodically at your work

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 24, 2015, 10:55 PM   #208
johnwilliamson062

Not anymore. They said workflow has slowed enough we have time to walk to the restroom now. I think it was really because of the guy who cut himself on the Dr. Pepper can though.
Old November 25, 2015, 10:43 AM   #209
Brit

I did not see my musings, whilst in a very high end mall, the type Terrorists utilize, all over the world, as being something to make silly jokes over?

This particular Mall had a Santa display (with a bearded Santa right there) and dozens of happy Children lined up.

A perfect place for some sick person to bring horror to this venue. Be it a sick local (all the perpetrators of our home grown mass shootings were nuts) or a Muslim extremist (Yes Mr. Obama there are loads of them around) for sure.

My exercise was to see how effective my ability to hit a man sized target, at the ranges I could see, from where I wondered, shopping as I have stated, for kiddy clothes not being what I like to do.

A stationery man, aiming a rifle, I could hit, at 30m. Is he on his own? Are there 12 others? Not a question I could answer, but a single adult who is aiming/firing, at children, that would be self explanatory.

This could happen, in fact has happened.

No Sky Lights at this Mall, the vast majority of the upper ceiling is glass.
Old November 25, 2015, 11:18 AM   #210
DaleA

Shrug.

I dunno.

Yeah a terrorist attack as we all know certainly is a serious and very possible event. Yet I still enjoyed johnwilliamson062 post.
Old November 25, 2015, 11:21 AM   #211
DaleA

It's been mentioned before in other threads---the fictional mall terrorist attack has been famously done in Tom Clancey's book 'The Teeth of the Tiger' and in Stephen Hunter's book 'Soft Target'. Probably others too...
Old November 25, 2015, 11:22 AM   #212
Brit

Your prerogative Dale.
Old November 25, 2015, 11:53 AM   #213
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA
Yeah a terrorist attack as we all know certainly is a serious and very possible event. Yet I still enjoyed johnwilliamson062 post.
+1. I regard the ability to examine dire situations through satire to be a mark of a civilized and modern society. If we demand that terrorism be discussed only with dour grimacing solemnity, then the jihadists have won, because that's the type of morally absolutist and medieval society they want.

It is no coincidence that the fist major Paris attack targeted a satirical magazine.

My kudos to johnwilliamson062 as well.
Old November 25, 2015, 02:02 PM   #214
rickyrick

Santa is a bit of an extremist. I'll keep a wary eye on him as I shop.

Honestly and seriously, I'm thankful for every day that passes without incident.
Old November 25, 2015, 05:02 PM   #215
Brit

As my Family and I were almost the victims of one of the worst mass murders of all time, Adolf Hitler (he bombed the snot out of Liverpool, the Docks especially) in fact an incendry bomb came through the glass roof of the Gents Toilet, two buckets of sand took care of that!

Thinking in a joking fashion is not common to me. About Terrorist attacks and the like. But if different individuals find that's OK, so be it.

Violence to me, is kind of natural (strange Scouser's!) so I can think in that language, kind of naturally.

My Wife has just baked a big apple pie for the single Mum and the teen twins next door. We two are not gardeners, but Anna next door is (does our side too!) so a wee bit of thanksgiving feeling on its way.

Same to all here also, Happy Thanksgiving.
Old November 25, 2015, 06:49 PM   #216
ronl

The best weapon you have is not the weapon strapped on your hip, but the one between your ears. Use it!
Old November 25, 2015, 06:57 PM   #217
Glenn E. Meyer

We are starting to wander and if it continues, we close.
Old November 25, 2015, 07:56 PM   #218
johnwilliamson062

I've thrown around jokes when taking cover from fire too close for comfort.

I don't think many US mall are a good place for an extended attack by a terrorist group. It is a much different environment then malls internationally. I know one or two of the malls in my area have armed security. All the malls in my area have sporting goods stores that sell firearms and gun stores in the vicinity. Too much chance of immediate intervention.
The design of malls in the US makes it an unfavorable environment for small bombs.
Beyond the propaganda effect of hitting a bastion of 'the perversions of western society,' not a great target IMO.

The Bataclan theatre was a near perfect target for terrorists. Large enough to be lots of people, small enough not to have any security, single open space for shrapnel, etc. Most venues that size in the US still prohibit weapons and have bouncers search at the door. Similar, but less universal, propaganda effect as a mall attack also.
Old November 25, 2015, 10:56 PM   #219
rickyrick

There's many urban malls that have been overrun by gangs, not completely overrun, but enough of a presence that probably deter a terrorist. I'd be willing to bet that there are more armed people in one of those malls than in a suburban mall in a legal gun friendly area.
Old November 25, 2015, 11:53 PM   #220
TXAZ

wolves, sheep and sheepdogs

Two years ago there was an attack at the Westgate Shopping Mall Nairobi Kenya. Lots of "sheep" at that mall, 4 "wolves" and no "sheepdogs" there until the HRT showed up. 67 fatalities, 170+ injuries.

While no one wishes such an attack on anyone anywhere, I expect the casualties at the Beverly Center in LA would be orders of magnitude larger with so very few "CHL sheepdogs" than a similar attack at the similarly named Westgate Mall in Amarillo Texas, where the number of sheepdogs carrying are likely to outnumber the wolves.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 26, 2015, 05:10 AM   #221
Brit

A definite yes on the Amarillo Mall! Pedestrians clang when they step out of their vehicles!
Old November 26, 2015, 10:45 AM   #222
Glenn E. Meyer

Now we have wandered into silliness.

All our sympathies to the people of Paris.

Let readers of TFL take precautions and be prepared.

Closed.