The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 27, 2010, 06:06 PM   #1
ZeroJunk

Which Hunting Rifle?

I have found a couple of fair deals on a light mountain rifle. One is Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight and the other is a Remington Titanium. They are both about the same weight. Any opinions on which is better??
Old September 27, 2010, 10:50 PM   #2
trooper3385

Both of them are fine rifles and you can't go wrong with either one. I think it would boil down to which one fits you better and your more comfortable with. I've always been a big fan of Weatherby rifles, so it would be an easy decision for me. I've heard of some quality control issues with the Remington lately although I've never had any problems with any of the Remington that I have. I believe most of the issues have been with the lower end remingtons. I would be surprised if you had any issues with there titanium model. I would love to get the ultra lightweight in a 257 weatherby. The 300 weatherby would also be a good choice if your planning on hunting larger game, although that light rifle would probably kick like a mule on crack.
Old September 28, 2010, 10:06 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For decades I hunted with a Mark V; not a lightweight but a helluva good rifle.

Not long after they came on the market, I bought a 700 Ti in 7mm08. Excellent trigger; reliably sub-moa.
Old September 28, 2010, 11:31 AM   #4
GeauxTide

Wish I still had my German Weatherby. Top quality and a tank.
Old September 28, 2010, 12:02 PM   #5
ZeroJunk

I suspect either one will work fine. I will probably get the Weatherby because it is within driving distance.

I will have a light rifle before I go back to the Rocky Mountains. People talk about losing a few pounds yourself, which is usually a good thing. But, the issue is that you often have a 10 or 12 pound rifle on your shoulder, high above your center of gravity. Or, you have to hold it in your hand on the high side which uses a hand you may need to catch yourself or grab on to something. Sixty degree inclines are often the rule, and having to juggle a weight around to keep it from gettting you off balance and perhaps falling off something gets old.
Old September 29, 2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Telgriff

Come down to personal preference and how it feels on the shoulder, but as faras my taste goes, I would get that Weatherby! The Mk V is a fantastic rilfle.
Old September 30, 2010, 12:03 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

You should be plenty happy with the Weatherby.

Quote:
I will have a light rifle before I go back to the Rocky Mountains. People talk about losing a few pounds yourself, which is usually a good thing. But, the issue is that you often have a 10 or 12 pound rifle on your shoulder, high above your center of gravity. Or, you have to hold it in your hand on the high side which uses a hand you may need to catch yourself or grab on to something. Sixty degree inclines are often the rule, and having to juggle a weight around to keep it from gettting you off balance and perhaps falling off something gets old.
I'm having issues with this right now, myself. My wife bought me a Marlin XL7 last Christmas, that was destined to become a .35 Whelen or 8x57mm. I made the mistake of shooting the donor...

Now, I have a .30-06 that will hold me over (for my medium-bore fix) for a few years, and it shoots great. The problem was weight. It was a little light for my taste, and very muzzle-heavy. I like balanced rifles. I don't like having my support arm get fatigued, if I have to stay in shooting position for prolonged periods (45 seconds, to 5 minutes, depending on the situation).

So, I bought a Boyds laminate stock for it. I figured the proper wood stock would balance the rifle. It sure did. It balances great now, but added probably 2 pounds (at least 1.5). So, now I'm wondering if I made the thing too heavy....

One of my favorite hunting rifles doesn't even belong to me. My dad has a Winchester M70 Featherweight in .270 Winchester. Loaded, with a scope, it weighs in at 7 lbs. Add the fact that it's incredibly accurate.... and I just wish I could talk him into parting with it.

All of this, of course, relates to the fact that I hunt in the Rockies, as well.
Old September 30, 2010, 06:11 AM   #8
jmr40

Just food for thought. A Weatherby action is the heaviest action made. The Remington is the lightest production action made. http://brownprecision.com/SelectingComponents.htm If both rifles weigh about the same the Weatherby has to be losing weight in the barrel.

I like lightweight rifles, but prefer to keep some weight in the barrel and lose it in the stock and action.
Old September 30, 2010, 11:42 AM   #9
Scorch

I agree with jmr40. While I love the Mark V action, it is a heavy action. I would recommend going with the 700 Ti, put a #2 profile barrel on it, put it in a fiberglass composite stock, and you will have a rifle that weighs about 5.5 lbs. Put a good scope on it, and you will still be around 6.5 lbs.

If you want a real lightweight unit, get the 700 Ti, put a carbon-wrapped barrel on it, slap it in a Kevlar/graphite stock, put a light scope on it, and you can be under 6 lbs ready to hunt.
Old September 30, 2010, 03:32 PM   #10
lefteyedom

NEWTON LAWS

I like light rifles myself, just remember there is no free lunch.
Newtons law do not change just because we want them to.

Lighter rifles have more felt recoil. Muzzle breaks do help but at the price a lot of noise.

Easier to carry, harder to hold steady off hand.

I have a light weight 308 with 18" barrel. It kicks as hard as my 338, I am fine with it but lets just say I don't shoot it much.