The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2006, 05:05 AM   #1
davidebt

Lee Pro 1000 & .243

Hi all, I'm a new member to the forum from the UK and desperately need some advice.

I shoot a Remy 700 in .243 and want to start reloading my own ($35.00 / box of 20 balistic tip in the UK for factory ammo!).

I just bough a Lee Pro 1000 second hand in as new condition which I thought would be suitable for thre job but am now begining to wonder if i've been stiched!..

The shell plate is # 1 but I cant find any reference in the lee cataloge for a shell plate for a .243. and I don't know if I have to change the primer attachment either.

Any advice greatfully received.

Regards

david
Old March 31, 2006, 08:55 AM   #2
Leftoverdj

My Pro1000 was converted back to a simple turret press long ago so I am not quite sure if the progressive has enough room to load .243. If it does, the .243 takes the same shell plate and priming assembly as the .45 ACP.

I'd set the dies up to neck size only to lessen the strain on the press. Lyman makes an adapter kit to mount a powder measure in the second station. You'll have to manually operate the measure.

Frankly, the Pro1000 would not be my choice for loading rifle cartridges, but you may have to make do with what you have.
Old March 31, 2006, 08:59 AM   #3
davidebt

Thanks Leftoverdj,

What would you recommend as a rifle press?
Old March 31, 2006, 09:04 AM   #4
Rico567

I loaded a variety of pistol calibers on two Lee Pro 1000s for many years, and with complete success. However, even though Lee currently sells it in a .223 configuration, and I believe they used to sell it set up for 7.62 x 39mm, I don't believe it's built to stand up to the stresses of reloading most bottleneck cases....certainly not .243, which in sizing (where most of the stress occurs) is just a .308 (7.62 x 51mm) case. When I wanted to reload bottleneck rifle ammo progressively, I bought a Dillon XL650.

- Mark Twain
Old March 31, 2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Leftoverdj

David, nobody ever went wrong with a Rockchucker, but I don't know your needs, finances, and what is available to you. Very few people really need a progressive for a rifle cartridge, and those who do are almost always military high power competitors. For the rest of us, any decent single stage press will do.

Besides the Rockchucker, the Lee Classic Press is getting quite a good reputation and is a good bit less expensive. The new Lee Classic Turret would be a somewhat faster option. It looks good, but is too new for me to have used one or to have read many reports from those who have.