The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 14, 2002, 05:14 PM   #1
Ed Dixon

$10 per bullet!

Just got an order in from National Bullets that was about a hundred bucks. Went through some old receipts going back to when I got my RCBS Master Kit a few months ago. At this point I've spent several hundred more on components, books, videos, and accessories and figure with the few boxes I've actually reloaded, I'm at about 10 bucks a bullet. This should begin to improve as I've got all I can handle now and am actually starting to feel like I can handle it (some). Thanks for the help so far. Figure I'll be in the black by Friday (2012).
Old September 14, 2002, 05:37 PM   #2
griz

It gets better pretty quick. By 2012 you'll be looking for new reloading stuff to buy.
Old September 14, 2002, 06:19 PM   #3
dakotasin

if you shoot w/ any frequency at all, you will quickly recoup your initial investment. of course, that is not putting a price on the intangibles: improved accuracy, increased velocity, and the biggest - the satisfaction of knowing you put that whoop-a** load together yourself.
Old September 19, 2002, 08:33 AM   #4
Desert Pete

Ed, I assume you mean $10 per cartridge. Never call a cartridge a bullet.
Old September 19, 2002, 09:27 AM   #5
k5blazer

The feeling I get knowing I reloaded my own outweighs the other costs. Besides I consider the cost for equipment and accessories a sunk cost. I don't apply them when figuring out the cost of 50 rounds. Helps with justifying my hobby (habit) to the wife who is a banker.
Old September 19, 2002, 01:23 PM   #6
Thumper

Hey pete, between sizing dies, molds, melters, dippers, lube and flux, ther've been times when I was WAY over 10 bucks a bullet, not cartridge. It all evens out. Eventually.
Old September 19, 2002, 09:50 PM   #7
Ed Dixon

Okay, Pete, "cartridge" it is. I did actually know that, but was trying to play up my neophyte status. (Would someone who uses "neophyte" not know such a thing?) By the way, those metal cappy things that go in the bottom hole are actually priced quite reasonably.

Ed (poorer in wallet and spirit by the minute)
Old September 20, 2002, 08:09 AM   #8
Sisco

Posted this little saying before but it's always good when another neophyte comes along!
Reloading is a vicious circle:
Reload, shoot, clean guns. Reload, shoot, clean guns. Wait for payday to buy more supplies, reload, shoot clean guns.
Old September 20, 2002, 08:41 AM   #9
Steve Smith

Ed, I don't get it, are you actually pulling the handle on that press? If all you are doing is stockpiling supplies but not lading anything, of course you're going to be in the red! Some amount of manual labor is required to actually produce cartridges.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old September 20, 2002, 08:08 PM   #10
Ed Dixon

Steve, I admit over the last few months I've been doing more reading and buying than loading, but it seemed that as a novice that was the wisest course. Also, when I came across some rough spots I felt it was more prudent to consult some of the experts here than to rush off and fire as much as I can as fast as I can. If this post wasn't clear enough and you didn't see some of my others, I'm new to this, have no hands-on mentor, and am trying to be safe first and "get it right" second. Anyway, there was some humor implied in the post and if that escaped you I apologize. I'll try to do better with that as well. Ed
Old September 20, 2002, 08:33 PM   #11
Ed Dixon

SK: Already starting to feel a twinge of that. Seems like guys(and gals) that golf are the same way. Ready to step over to the obsessed side. Thanks, guys. (I think.)
Old September 20, 2002, 08:33 PM   #12
Steve Smith

Read some of my recent posts and you'll see that I would be the last to urge you to shoot ammo you have questions about. On the other hand, you knew your budget, and assuming you stayed wtihin it, you didn't need to drag out the calculator. I can hear it now, "Lessee, I got X amount of this for $XX.xx, X of this for $XXX.xx, and X of this for XX.xx, but I have only loaded 3 rounds. Yup, I'm in the hole!" Wow, did you need the calculator for that? I don't think you've convinced yourself of the savings of reloading yet. Once you crank out a few thousand you'll be hooked, of you'll decide you don't have the time.

"In humor, there are little slices of honesty" -Stephen Zerbe

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old September 20, 2002, 08:44 PM   #13
Ed Dixon

Steve, yet again, the humor part. I wasn't really complaining. I was trying to be light-hearted and familiar regarding getting started in this endeavor. Again, I'm sorry if you feel I've tricked you. Does this happen often? From most of the responses, seems like most of the people understood what I was (and wasn't) saying.
Old September 20, 2002, 09:05 PM   #14
coonan357

ed I said the same thing when I started to reload several years ago and believe me after you let loose the first round you'll know why your doing it . I paid mine off in about 2 years .

You can't argue with a .357 Mag.
Well, you can try, but you'll end up bleeding an aweful lot. -GEORGE HILL 4-08-2002

My Coonan is Not For Sale please do not ask!
Old September 21, 2002, 04:10 PM   #15
kitb

My wife is still trying to figure out if I re-load so I can shoot, or shoot so I can re-load.
After 45 years of re-loading, I still enjoy working up a new load that will work just a little bit better.
Old September 24, 2002, 10:16 PM   #16
dervari

I just started reloading 12ga for myself and my wife back in March. Since then I've loaded over 10k rounds and have recouped the cost of the loader. Of course, loading shotshells all you need is the loader and a scale.
Old September 25, 2002, 01:15 AM   #17
Steve Smith

I am not as dense as you might think. Its not like I can't see the humor in your posts. I just see things differently than most folks.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member