The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 19, 2015, 04:27 PM   #26
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is interesting that the serial number, proof mark and caliber marking all appear to have been engraved and gold inlaid. Does that mean they were done at the same time? And where? By whom? A lot more questions than answers, unfortunately.

The engraving is good and deep; IMHO, it is not top quality (the lions are not very lifelike) but it is not bad and is far above the "cigarette carton" engraving I mentioned earlier before seeing the pictures. It is certainly Germanic, whether done in Germany or by a German-trained engraver here, I don't know.

Jim
Old July 19, 2015, 05:46 PM   #27
Jim Watson

Do we know it is a Magnum Mauser action?
A standard length can have the magazine box and magazine opening in the receiver lengthened to take magnum rounds. The .375 is pretty mild as such things go, so as not to overheat and overpressure in the tropics and the gun will hold up fairly well. Weatherbys etc on opened up standard actions do not.

The Magnum Mauser receiver is 9.15" overall, a standard is 8.75". The Magnum bolt body is 6.77", standard 6.37".

Quote:
(the lions are not very lifelike)
I cannot count the number of engraved guns I have seen with very nice scroll - or oak leaf as here - with poorly drawn animals, or people. If you want a portrait of yourself or your dog or the game you plan to take, you must find a great engraver, not just a good one.

Last edited by Jim Watson; July 19, 2015 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Lions
Old July 30, 2015, 02:02 PM   #28
Bassassassin

Have yet to make any measurements on the gun to verify magnum action. The engraving is not gold inlaid. I crayoned some of the proof marks and serial numbers for clarity.