The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Papafoxtrot

Improperly seated .38spl bullets - LWC, SJHP, LSWC

Hello all,

This is my first post here, and hopefully this is the correct forum for it.

My father and I have done a good bit of reloading in the past, mainly .45 colt and .45 ACP, with some black powder cartridge in there as well. My father recently passed away, and in going through some of the reloading equipment, I found a bag of .38spl that just didn't look right.

I know these weren't loaded by him as he did not shoot .38spl and didn't load for other people.

My main question though, is what is wrong with these rounds?

In the first photo, you can see what looks to be a properly seated bullet, but the rest are not. Some of the brass has some odd bands around it too.

In the second photo, you can see the same odd bands. These do not occur on every piece of brass, and I cannot find a pattern to it.

So, would you pull the bullets and re-use the brass? Can the bullets be reused if seated properly?

Thanks for the help and for the patience if these are knucklehead questions.

Old June 14, 2013, 03:01 PM   #2
David Bachelder

I have seen those bands before. I have a lot of 38 brass and some of it is marked the same way. It comes from the factory like that.

Pull the bullets and reload them If you can I don't see what it would hurt. Get an inertia bullet puller, you know the old hammer looking outfit. They are a reloaders eraser.
Old June 14, 2013, 03:11 PM   #3
mehavey

The knurled "bands" are just factory crimping marks. Ignore them.

The cartridges as loaded/seated in the first pic, however, look more than a little strange -- almost as though someone was attempting to seat the bullet out to create 357Mag case volumes.

I'd probably pull a few and see what's really in there (But it may not be recognizable unless it's a "unique" [pun intended] powder.)

HOWEVER ---

You might rather not shoot them, ...and just write them off as your safest bet.
Old June 14, 2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Old Stony

I think Id just be tempted to seat the bullets a little deeper with a proper crimp and try them. Someone just didn't seat the bullets deep enough.
Old June 14, 2013, 03:26 PM   #5
mehavey

Quote:
tempted to seat the bullets a little deeper...
I thought about that, but then said "Self,... if someone deliberately did that for a pressure reason, don't negate their action. And if someone did that out of carelessness, don't tempt fate on what else might be involved inside."
Old June 14, 2013, 03:28 PM   #6
g.willikers

Yeah, if they didn't seat the bullets correctly, what else did they do wrong?
I'd pull 'em and use the components.
Old June 14, 2013, 03:34 PM   #7
Papafoxtrot

I will most definitely be pulling several to see what was loaded as far as a powder weight is concerned. I'll be doing this on the WCs too, just so I know what is there.

Oddly, in the bag of 70 some rounds, 25 are seated just fine, 20 or so are not seated, and the rest are wadcutters.

I certainly do not know what the story is behind them, maybe my father took them as trade for some blackpowder stuff or was trying to help someone out. Could have been from one of my uncles too...who knows. I do know the rounds wont be used until I figure out what the powder load is.

Thanks for the insight gents, it is appreciated and I look forward to getting back in to reloading!
Old June 14, 2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Semper Paratus

Take them apart save the brass and projectiles and reload with an appropriate load out of a reloading manual or manufacturers data. WRT the brass with the two cannelures in it...don't sweat the small stuff. I have a fair amount of older .38 Spcl brass and nickle plated brass with the same cannelures. The purpose was to serve as a stop for the bullet when seating it in the case, prior to crimping. Size the brass normally and go on.
Old June 14, 2013, 11:30 PM   #9
Shootest

I would pull all of them and reuse cases/bullets and trash the powder. It’s too risky to shoot the unknown. Who knows what is loaded in them.
Old June 15, 2013, 05:05 AM   #10
rebs

yep, pull the bullets and throw the powder on your lawn for fertilizer then reuse the bullet and cases.