The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 3, 2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Cary

Rem Oil or Break Free CLP on my new 870

I just purchased a new 870. I have a can of Break Free CLP that I use mainly as a rust inhibitor on my guns. Remington pushes Rem Oil as the product to use on their guns which is understandable. My question is should I use my CLP on this new 870 or get me some Rem Oil? Give me some input so I can decide. Thanks.
Cary
Old December 3, 2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Lee Lapin

Depends on the model. If it's an Express, I'd use BreakFree, generously. On a bright polished Wingmaster, Johnson's Paste Wax is my long time preference. http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Fine-W.../dp/B0000DIWIM

Yep, floor wax. On the metal as well as the wood. Rub it in and let it dry, it'll be dull till you handle it or polish it off.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:40 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Between the two, I'd choose CLP. It's better all around. All RemOil is is mineral oil with Teflon in it. I don't think it stays on surfaces well when the firearm is used. Mineral oil isn't that great in cleaning, lubing or protecting. And Teflon isn't good at sticking to surfaces by merely spraying it on, IMO....especially after being subjected to use of the firearm.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 3, 2012, 11:41 PM   #4
grey_pilgrim

I have an 11-87. I have used both breakfree, and hoppes #9 as a solvent and rem oil or hoppes advanced for the lube and protect. I think either will work fine for you. I felt like the CLP wasn't strong enough solvent to get the junk out of the gas system, but that's not a problem with your 870. Unless you notice a problem, I say stick with what you know.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:44 AM   #5
Virginian

I have used WD-40, CLP, RemOil, and G-66/96 forever, and the differences between them are extremely minute. WD-40 and G-96 are the best corrosion inhibitors, but WD-40 is not the best lube. The old wives' tales about WD-40 are hugely overblown by the way. If sprayed on thick and not wiped off, it will get gummy, but it is a solvent for itself and a spray and wipe will fix things right up. Lots of light petroleum products will do the same thing.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Rifleman1776

CLP definitely.
Although, recently I have been using Ballistol and find it to be a superior lubricant. Not a rust inhibitor but great lube.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
All RemOil is is mineral oil with Teflon in it. I don't think it stays on surfaces well when the firearm is used.
Agreed. RemOil is not a product I'd recommend for this reason. My father-in-law uses it and his guns are often dry when we show up to the range....
Old December 4, 2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Panfisher

I've used lots of different things WD-40 (quick clean or to run my 11-87 wet during a long shoot), Rem Oil, FRP, Break Free, and the old Standby G-96 (mostly because I love that smell). The main thing simply keep it clean and lubed with something. Generally on the outside of everything I use something like Birchwood Casey Sheath, seems to last a long time. Don't shoot it, wipe it down and put it away for a year, take it out a couple times a year and give it a quick clean/lube. I have use a polymer car wax on the externals before and it seems to give a nice hard shine, don't know how long it lasts but looks good.
Old December 4, 2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Pahoo

Shane Tuttle +++

I gave up on Rem oil, a long time ago mainly because it gets gummy, with time. Break Free CLP, is a much better product but there are certainly equals out there. WD-40, is great for wiping down after a hard hunting day but still will not afford lasting protection ... JMHO ...

Be Safe !!!
Old December 4, 2012, 12:12 PM   #10
BigJimP

Of the two ...go with CLP.../ but most any oil will work if you're talking about a final wipe down, after you've thoroughly cleaned the gun, and are putting it away.

The light oil I use is Rig #2 ...its a better product that Rem Oil.
Old December 4, 2012, 03:51 PM   #11
Cary

"Of the two ...go with CLP.../ but most any oil will work if you're talking about a final wipe down, after you've thoroughly cleaned the gun, and are putting it away."

That's exactly what I will be using it for. I have other products to clean my guns with and specific lubricants I use after the gun is clean. Thanks for your input guys. CLP it is.

Cary
Old December 4, 2012, 05:48 PM   #12
Erno86

I've read that Rem Oil, is just as bad as WD-40 --- as in relation to gummed up parts. Breakfree CLP...is way to expensive. I prefer semi-synthetic motor oils, which I've read is the best to use on firearms and parts.
Break Free spray cans...lose gas in a heartbeat ---same goes for Break Free degreaser.

Last edited by Erno86; December 4, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:43 PM   #13
mehavey

I've used Break-Free since`83 as the best-of-the-best.
But it now runs second to WeaponShield....
... which I'm now using on everything
Old December 4, 2012, 07:56 PM   #14
340 Weatherby

Breakfree for the last 30 years and counting. But only as a lubricant/protectant. Lots of Hoppes #9 as a solvent.