The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old February 25, 2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Singlesix1954

Coyote that should have got away!

On feb.23 I came home from work just after 5:00pm and was about to take off my boots, when my cell rang. It was my 15 yr old calling to tell me that she, her brother, and mom were on thier way home. Looking south out the back door I spotted a yotey a half mile away. I told her I saw it and ended the call. I grabed my 1899 Krag carbine and took off on foot. First the wind was to my back and in the coyotes face, second when I was about 400 yds the family got home and started yelling and chearing at me. The coyote saw me but didn't scram. I set the peep for a 400 yrd shot but she ducked below a ridge, so I reset for 100 yd zero and started moveing again. I moved to the top of a small hill and spotted her again. She also was looking at me. She trotted west down the fenceline and I pulled up the old Cavelry gun and tracked her. I had taken up the first stage and was squezing when she stopped and looked at me. The trigger broke, the shot rangout, and I saw snow fly on the hill 25 yds beond her. As I looked at her and bolted the carbine I realized that she had went down in her tracks. I picked up my brass and walked up to her finding the shot had went in above her right eye an exited behind and below the the left ear. Very little damage and the nicest yotoe I'v ever taken. This is the first animal to fall to this 112 yr old gun since I got it 3 yrs ago. Also proof that even a blind chipmunk can get an acorn if he trys!
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old February 25, 2010, 09:28 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Good work, nice stalk and clean kill...
Let that ol' gun get some more exercise now?
Brent
Old February 25, 2010, 03:34 PM   #3
Scorch

Quote:
the shot had went in above her right eye an exited behind and below the the left ear.
Yep, that's a good one! They disappear pretty fast with a hit like that, no thrashing or running, they just lay down.
Old February 25, 2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Daryl

Congrat's on a fine stalk and a successful shot.

Daryl
Old February 25, 2010, 08:03 PM   #5
waterfowler

Nice job.
Old February 25, 2010, 09:21 PM   #6
taylorce1

Love the old Springfield Krag rifles. I hunted elk with one this year unfortunately I didn't see one. That .30-40 still kills game as well as it ever did.
Old February 25, 2010, 10:12 PM   #7
leadcounsel

So, any particular reason you like to shoot animals that are just mindin their own business....? Was it stalking your livestock? Stalking your kids? You gonna eat her? Or do you just have some bloodlust for killin creatures? Just curious as to why folks like shootin' 'yotes' so much, and you didn't really address it in your post under "the hunt" forum...

How exactly is a 'yote' supposed to get away when you're hundreds of yards away with a rifle? It's not like you're chasing it down with a spear, or heck even a bow, where it would have some realistic chance of survival... I'm frankly unimpressed when 'men' go out and blast 'yotes' or other 'rodents', without so much as placing themselves in any danger whatsoever (the biggest risk is maybe you'll catch a cold or twist your ankle or nick your gun) and think they've accomplished some feat...

How exactly is this a 'hunt?' May as well been a video game... Long story short: You saw a coyote. Grabbed your rifle. Stepped off your back porch. Shot a few times. Killed it. Congrats....

Last edited by leadcounsel; February 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old February 25, 2010, 10:48 PM   #8
johnwilliamson062

1.He shot once.
2. Just b/c the Coyote was not threatening anything at the moment does not mean it would not in the future.
3. Coyotes are grossly over populated in many areas of the US. Populations beyond anything seen pre-European just like deer. The food chain/circle of life is all screwed up and there is very little competition for what are now top predators. Humans need to fill in for wolves and bears every once in a while.
4.You sir, have never raised livestock or you would not be ignorant of these things.
Old February 26, 2010, 01:39 AM   #9
bamaranger

flamer

Gimmie a break.
Old February 26, 2010, 02:14 AM   #10
daveinwoodland

Lead Counsel,

Just so you know in my neck of the woods, there is a year round open season no bag limit on coyotes. Why? because they have become over populated by previous restrictions on seasons and due to abundance of prey.

I live in an area full of farms and livestock and let me tell you the farmers around here are very grateful when you can clean out some of these vermin. They are nothing more then oversize rats.

I suppose you feel that way about rodents too? that the mean old homeowner used a trap with peanut butter on it when shame on him he should of stalked it with sharpened toothpick. Well now that I fed the troll I hope you're full.
Old February 26, 2010, 03:35 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
So, any particular reason you like to shoot animals that are just mindin their own business....? Was it stalking your livestock? Stalking your kids? You gonna eat her? Or do you just have some bloodlust for killin creatures? Just curious as to why folks like shootin' 'yotes' so much, and you didn't really address it in your post under "the hunt" forum...

How exactly is a 'yote' supposed to get away when you're hundreds of yards away with a rifle? It's not like you're chasing it down with a spear, or heck even a bow, where it would have some realistic chance of survival... I'm frankly unimpressed when 'men' go out and blast 'yotes' or other 'rodents', without so much as placing themselves in any danger whatsoever (the biggest risk is maybe you'll catch a cold or twist your ankle or nick your gun) and think they've accomplished some feat...

How exactly is this a 'hunt?' May as well been a video game... Long story short: You saw a coyote. Grabbed your rifle. Stepped off your back porch. Shot a few times. Killed it. Congrats....
I cannot properly put into words how ignorant you sound, with those statements and emotional outbursts.

This is the hunting forum; not the "love all animals because they're cuddly" forum.

Do you get this angry when some one throws away a blank piece of paper? A happy tree was murdered to produce it.

As DaveinWoodland said - Many parts of this country have enormous populations of coyotes. Humans have created artificial food chains, that create an excess of food for predators. That excess of food leads to an excess of predators, and lots of bored animals. Bored animals kill things for fun, burrow into burrow into things they shouldn't, and harass livestock and wildlife.

Until the population of the U.S. wakes up, and starts caring for the environment and its native inhabitants; coyote populations must be controlled with high-speed lead injections.

It's a problem humans created. It's a problem humans are attempting to control.
Old February 26, 2010, 04:06 AM   #12
callme_crazy

I live in Colorado and this state like others im sure offers bounties for coyotes. This is the state dow telling you to kill coyotes, honestly, I dont see the point in it unless they have endangered livestock or people.
Old February 26, 2010, 05:32 AM   #13
shortwave

leadcounsel, first let me thank you for your services to our country.

Secondly, your comments clearly show your ignorance of the coyote. Left un-controlled the yote will be in your neighborhoods/parks chewing on fluffy and the children. Just last week, here in Ohio, we had a coyote alert(I think Grandview area, by Columbus, can`t remember). Not uncommon here.

Reproduction of the yote would be a good place to start learning. Getting out talking to livestock farmers would be a good place to research there distruction.

SingleSix, seems as though you and your old Krag "still have it".
Good shooting.
Old February 26, 2010, 05:58 AM   #14
comn-cents

FrankenMauser "This is the hunting forum; not the "love all animals because they're cuddly" forum".

I must have made a wrong turn somewhere. Which way is the cuddly forum?
That's some funny stuff thanks FM
Old February 26, 2010, 08:16 AM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

WOW JUST WOW!!!

Hey LC, You do realize that, in america, we quit the whole run 'em down with a spear when Al Gore invented this here internet thingy?

A person who spends 10K to prepare for a deer season hasn't the need for the meat and doesn't put himself in danger so why do we have the hunt section if no hunting is right in your eyes?

You reckon there would be financial, social, logistical and safety concerns if each and every type of hunting were stopped? YOU BET YER PINK SOCKS BUDDY!!!

Financial losses from animals would break the farmers bank then our wallet. The insurance claims from animal/auto accidents and attacks by aggressive, starving overpopulated critters would ruin the insurance industry or break us paying increased premiums.

Social loss would at minimum be from folks not being able to travel or go out from fear of injury and death.

Logistical damage in the form of important transport of goods and food being stopped or severely slowed by all the large critters on the roads all the time...

The safety issues are only lightly hit on in the above.
Brent
Old February 26, 2010, 09:24 AM   #16
knoxville

Frankenhausen

Here after i finish my cup of coffee i'm going to go hunt some coyotes it will prob go a little something like this. I call for about an hour two coyotes come into range and either i get one or i don't about 50/50 and thats hunting and i will continue to do it no matter what kind of post you put up saying how unimpressed you are we won't change so don't come in the hunting forum and tell everyone how killing is bad if you want to talk like that i'm sure i could find you a PEDA forum our tree hugger forum you could try out just stay outta the hunting forum if you don't want to hear how unimpressive we all are.
Old February 26, 2010, 09:41 AM   #17
Singlesix1954

Apology

Well I guess I did a bad thing. Here in Nebraska the coyote is a varmit and folks shoot them on sight. Forget that it is calving season and they grab calves as they are being born. Oh and not only was this yote less than 500yds. from a heard of preg. cows, (Uh that is a group of girl cows that are all going to have babbies) but it also was less than 1/2 mile from my wife's chicken house. For the record around here a chicken house is a structue that chicken live in and lay thier eggs. Anyway I have seen the errors of my ways and will start today an turn loose all these farm animals and hang up my gun.

<...Justifiable but a tad excessive hostility edited out...>
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old February 26, 2010, 09:55 AM   #18
golfballshootr

LC, in my area, there is no limit, no season on "dogs". I hunt them as often as I can. Sometimes I hunt them for the hides, most times it is just population control. See, around here, we lose or used to lose a lot of the poults, (baby turkey), and fawns to these coyotes. The folks that farm in our area have commented to me that in the last few years, they have seen an increase in the Rio's around here. That is a good thing in and of itself, as it allows me to take my wife out and hunt the birds or one of the kids.

No, I will not try to change your mind or tell you to go somewhere else or another forum, because I'm sure you don't want me telling you what to do when you have the freedom to do so. Please just don't sound off so vehemently against a person that shot a coyote cleanly and did not have to chase a wounded animal, that is his freedom.
Old February 26, 2010, 09:57 AM   #19
Uncle Billy

Ya know, I'll bet there are a lot of folks who think that the only way hunting could be a "sport" would be if the deer or coyotes or whatever had scope-sighted .300 Magnums or full-choke shotguns (or .30-40 Krags) too, and shot back. Or it would only be ethical if the rats could set IED's or the cockroaches had biological weapons.... wait! cockroaches DO have biological weapons!

Or if in some altered universe, hunters hunted each other and left the animals alone, like a Lasertron with live ammo.

"leadcouncil" implies it's a lawyer, probably one that works for the Brady Bunch or PETA or such.
Old February 26, 2010, 11:18 AM   #20
CajunBass

Quote:
So, any particular reason you like to shoot animals that are just mindin their own business....?
I wrote to the VDGIF (game dept) a couple of years ago and asked them about the season on coyote's. They wrote back and told me on private land shoot every one of them you see.

That would be "reason" enough for me.

Quote:
I'm frankly unimpressed when 'men' go out and blast 'yotes' or other 'rodents',
Frankly rather you're "impressed" or not isn't important to me. I doubt it is to many other people either.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 26, 2010, 12:07 PM   #21
Scorch

Quote:
This is the hunting forum; not the "love all animals because they're cuddly" forum.
I thought this was the "love all the animals because they're delicious" forum, but I suppose that coyote will be cuddly after it's tanned and stretched.

Either way, leadcounsel is entitled to his/her opinion, whether or not it is a reasonable one or not. Attacking him/her for being a bunny hugging idiot will not change him/her, it will simply justify and reinforce his/her erroneous assumption that we are all atavistic retards and convince him/her that all the animals really do love each other and scamper through the woodlands laughing and giggling and playing games together. So leave it alone, and maybe it will go home . . .
Old February 26, 2010, 05:36 PM   #22
LateNightFlight

Nice, and particularly nice because you pulled it off with something definitely not in the class of a modern varmint rig. A little over a month ago, I was feeling a little proud because I took my first black powder coyote - a scoped black powder rig I might add. There's no question I have been trumped and trumped hard.

I'm another one of those who will opportunistically take a coyote to help control their numbers. I don't do so with any malice, even though they literally wiped me out on my first attempt to have a flock of ducks, geese and free range chickens. (Okay, maybe a little malice.) Needles to say, coyotes are more opportunistic than I could ever be. The following spring I had a dead calf and another one injured. That could have been dogs, but our recent history with coyotes points to coyotes. Not only did our DOC (dept of conservation) issue us an out of season permit, (we have a closed portion here,) they shipped us a big box of snares and helped us figure out how to go about it.

In our case, the vast majority of coyotes were too well schooled to come to a call. Some did come to a live lure, (I’ve posted a couple here about using a Pekin duck,) but not enough to stop the predation. We finally got the upper hand with the snares. I'd rather we never have to resort to that again.

IMO, rifle hunting or shooting as the opportunity arises is better than trapping in humane terms. In a snare, a coyote may hang himself. While that's not the most humane thing, I would always hope it went that way, otherwise I'm dispatching a terrified animal with no means of escape. Same thing with a leg hold trap. (Hold your fire trappers. I get it. I'm just saying it isn't for me.)

Leadcounsel, I hope you'll see this other side of the issue and understand why someone like me appreciates what the OP has accomplished. From my experience, seeing a coyote in daylight that is tolerant of people within any proximity is an indication that you are headed for a coyote problem.

Plus, if anyone will use the fur or sell it, I'm all for it. "Save a dog in China - Shoot a coyote in America!"
Old February 26, 2010, 05:56 PM   #23
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Aw, c'mon guys! What difference does it make if coyotes kill some lambs, goats or even calves? Or chickens or turkeys? After all, meat comes all cut and wrapped at your local Hoggly-Woggly or the A&Poo feed store. You don't need ranches and feedlots or farms, after all.

And it's unheard of for anybody to ever protect their property, much less animal property. Why would anybody ever do that?
Old February 26, 2010, 06:29 PM   #24
leadcounsel

Quote:
Humans have created artificial food chains, that create an excess of food for predators. That excess of food leads to an excess of predators, and lots of bored animals. Bored animals kill things for fun, burrow into burrow into things they shouldn't, and harass livestock and wildlife.
So, what you're saying is that humans caused the problem, so animals need to pay the price for... well... being animals. And "bored animals kill things for fun..." much like the OP and others that joined in the "flame Leadcounsel"...

Eh, keep doing what you're doing and patting yourself on the back. Shortsighted human folly has caused so many global environmental problems including the depletion of resources and extinction of animals at alarming rates... but who cares, right? Pat yourself on the back for a well placed shot and go on about your day...

I appreciate a good hunting story like anyone else; I also enjoy eating a tastey steak or venison like the next guy. I'm not naive to not know where meat comes from, and most of it is grown by corporate farms and killed in dirty foul slaughterhouses.

However, posts like the OPs are better suited for the topic of "lazy psuedo hunter puts a bullet in a rifle and pulls the trigger and sportkills animals for depraved fun and bragging rights" rather than "the hunt" - which implies some skill and use of the animal which was killed... Wow, you shot a large dog sized target at 400 yards. Big deal.... We're all entitled to our opinions and again I'm not impressed... I routinely shoot 3 second pop up targets at 300 meters with open sites with a carbine... you don't see me raving about it like its' some big accomplishment.

Last edited by leadcounsel; February 26, 2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old February 26, 2010, 06:42 PM   #25
2damnold4this

Quote:
However, posts like the OPs are better suited for the topic of "lazy psuedo hunter puts a bullet in a rifle and pulls the trigger and sportkills animals for depraved fun and bragging rights" rather than "the hunt" - which implies some skill and use of the animal which was killed... We're all entitled to our opinions and again I'm not impressed...
Really? What would impress you?

Quote:
Eh, keep doing what you're doing and patting yourself on the back. Shortsighted human folly has caused so many global environmental problems including the depletion of resources and extinction of animals at alarming rates... but who cares, right?
Are you worried that coyotes are endangered? If that's the case I have good news. The coyote is categorized as an animal that is of "least concern" for the purposes of conservation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote
Closed Thread