The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 20, 2013, 09:59 AM   #1
8MM Mauser

Careers in the firearms industry

Hey all! I'm a college student, I'm working on a degree in Business Communications and ultimately an MBA. Right now I work in the administrative/service arm of a Xerox subsidiary, mostly keeping customers supplied with supplies for their purchased machines (under contract) or leased machines.

I am very interested in pursuing a career in the firearms industry. So far, I have applied for several jobs and had very little luck. At my LGS they looked at me like I was crazy when I applied for a simple position behind the counter. At several local sporting goods stores I have failed to get even a call back when applying for or inquiring about open positions.

My question I suppose, is: Do you really just have to know someone to work in this area? My LGS has kids younger than me (25) working their counters and I'm sure with less college (I have an associates) and based on conversations I've had with several of them, less firearms knowledge as well... Yet they don't take me seriously at all.

So , to those in the industry: what steps can i take to increase my chances for a firearms related career? What ways could I be representing myself better? And how can I go about demonstrating my knowledge of firearms when I can barely get a foot in the door?

Any advice is much appreciated!

PS: please don't just tell me to do something else, I already am and it bores me to death... I will continue doing something else if I fail to get into the industry but that is my goal.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Alabama Shooter

At our LGSs everyone who works there is either related to or good friends with the owner. I'd try a big box store (other than Walmart). IME you will need to have a very special level of trust before most small LGS owners will even consider hiring you.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:57 AM   #3
horatioo

maybe get some credentials. Become an Appleseed instructor. Join the IDPA (not sure of the initials), but the one that does shooting contests with handguns. I would think that would put you in contact with some gun store owners on a friendly basis.

I dont really know though. ;>)
Old January 20, 2013, 01:37 PM   #4
8MM Mauser

Getting some more credentials makes sense. Around here that can be difficult. The closest Appleseed events to me take place a good 3 hour drive away and I'm not certain there are any IDPA events around here either.

Now that said, I realize that I need to be willing to commit to these sorts of things if I'm going to have a real shot at a career in this industry. I'm pretty good with a handgun, though I admit I should practice more. Does anyone know
What it takes exactly to become an NRA instructor? I imagine I'd be a few years out from affording/being good enough and practiced enough to make it, but help from the inside would be very helpful.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:09 PM   #5
ehenz

Consider getting your foot in the door at a firearm related company. Perhaps working with companies that supply parts, ammo, or gear would be a good place to start.

I think you would be wasting your MBA at a LGS.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:57 PM   #6
8MM Mauser

Well I don't have the MBA yet.

A parts supplier is a great idea though. I bet they'de use similar software and methods of storage and inventory to where I am now. Seems very translatable.

That's some good advice sir!