The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 23, 2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Flame Red

Please talk to me about Colt SAA

Wanted to get some advice and opinions of the fine folks on this forum. I am a Colt collector and was thinking about getting something a bit different and was considering getting a Colt SAA. One of the problems is that I know almost nothing about Colt SAA.

I want a collector, as I am not really very interested in SASS and have enough other shooters I thoroughly enjoy.

I'm still debating what SAA I might want to get as a safe queen. I do like one that Nutmeg offers, but the price is a killer. But I understand his labor is expensive.

Since I'm into Colts, no other brand would be of interest even though they are more affordable.

I don't believe I would shoot it, so I am looking for something more collectable and classy. I noticed a few new offerings by Lew Horton that have a lot of bling (which I like). But I am not sure if for $2-$3K if I should look at the first or second generations instead. I am guessing that although the 3rd generation is not cheap, they are not as collectable as the 1st or 2nd generations. But I really think I would want to get something with some engraving (classy) rather than something that is just gold etched.

The other thing I noticed is that many times, these are offered as seuqentially serial number pairs. There is no way I can afford a $8K set of engraved SAA. Does having only one really make it that much less desirable from a collector's prespective? Or should I just get a seq numbered pair with no engraving that will about the same price? But it is the engraving that turns me on!

Anything you can comment on would be most appreciated.
Old March 23, 2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Hawg

Getting an engraved 1st generation would be very expensive. A second gen. would probably be your best bet. Not quite as collectible as a 1st gen. but still desirable. I kinda doubt you'd find a consecutive pair of plain jane 1st gens. for sale at any price. I'd go with a single engraved model before I'd go with a pair of plain with consecutive numbers. Also when it comes to engraved for collector value I'd stay away from custom engravers and only get one that was engraved by Colt. If you're more into artistic value then go with custom engravers.
Old April 13, 2008, 12:06 AM   #3
imdarren

Flame,
I can not speak from experience, however, I am bitten BAD with the old Colt SAA bug.
I have done ENDLESS / countless hours of research on the Colt SAA, and find that there is still MUCH to be learned.
If your going to get serious about the Colt SAA, you should first buy the book, "A Study Of The Colt Single Action Army" by Graham, Kopec and Moore.
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...p?itemID=15861

Call John Kopec at 530.222.4440 and he will send you a signed copy for ~$140 delivered. I know this seems like a lot, but this is THE BIBLE on the Colt SAA, and worth every penny if you are serious about collecting the real deal. If you call him, and have a signed book sent to you, it will also go up in value as well. Trust me.

Having said that, I would collect 1st gen Colts first, and second gen next in order. Price will be a big difference between 1st and 2nd gen Colts of the same condition. As always, get the authenticity letters from Colt if your spending big money on one. Also, John Kopec is such an authority on old Colt SAA guns, he does evaluations to certify authenticity as well. Thats part of his business. Making copies / fakes of some of these old guns happens a lot sadly, and folks get burned. The Colt SAA's are the most saught after / collectible Colts out there, and the older verieties copied often.
Old April 13, 2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Flame Red

Darren,

Thank you kindly for that advice. It is indeed very sound. I keep flapping which way to go and I definately want don't want to get ripped off as it seems so easy to be.

I am still considering a 3rd generation engraved one. But it seems that I should just keep my eyes out for 1st too. I will just have to be much more patient. There is a large gun show next weekend and there are always a lot of Colt speciality vendors there that have many SAA. I hate buy under the pressure of a gun show as I don't have a chance to validate what I am being presented with. So I just might collect business cards and contact them afterwards if I find something interesting. I usually find that impulse buying (store or show) without proper research mean over paying at the least and being ripped off at the most.

I don't think I have the resources to get more than one, so I will have to concider it very, very carefully.

But that book sounds like a great idea - I can suggest the wifey buy it for me as a birthday present instead of underware or socks!
Old April 13, 2008, 08:55 AM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
But that book sounds like a great idea - I can suggest the wifey buy it for me as a birthday present instead of underware or socks!
140.00 is a lot of underwear and socks.