The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 20, 2013, 01:54 AM   #1
Chowder

Lionheart LH9

I just came across a pistol that I have never heard of. It's a Lionheart industries LH9. Does anyone here own one or know of anyone who owns one? It is definitely a good looking pistol at a good price. If it shoots well and is reliable I might have to go look for one. Something about its looks... new and stylish but very familiar.
Old November 20, 2013, 06:46 AM   #2
PSP

This is a rebranding of the Daewoo firearms label, made in Korea. They produce high quality, military grade weapons. Do a search for "Daewoo" to read about their pistols and AR style long guns.
Old November 20, 2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Fishbed77

It's a re-branded Deawoo DP-51 pistol. An very high-quality pistol with a neat trigger system, but a bit overpriced in it's current Lionheart LH9 incarnation, if you ask me.

I recall seeing an online vendor a few months back that had very good condition DP-51s for sale for under $300.
Old November 20, 2013, 12:50 PM   #4
RickB

Lionheart is local to me, and they sponsored our big IDPA match last Summer, providing guns at a steep discount for the prize table, and setting up in our vendor area with a variety of guns in two sizes, different finish and sight options, etc.
One of my buddies won a gun in the prize drawing, and reviewed it here (skip to 10:00 mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FJgx998h34
The match staffer whose job it was to coordinate with Lionheart, after meeting wi them at their location, paid for one out of his own pocket, so he was impressed.
I shot a couple of mags through a sample, and liked it, though I wasn't too keen on the cocked/hammer down option.
I don't know why anyone thinks that a gun with a forged aluminum frame that costs $700 is overpriced, when guns with plastic frames cost $600?
Old November 20, 2013, 03:05 PM   #5
JHansenAK47

Quote:
It's a re-branded Deawoo DP-51 pistol. An very high-quality pistol with a neat trigger system, but a bit overpriced in it's current Lionheart LH9 incarnation, if you ask me.
I would love to see the differences between the older DP-51s and a newer LH9 in person with one of the engineers. Kind of like looking at a CZ75 from the eighties, nineties and post millenium examples. Maybe I could ponder why they have gone up in price as well while I am at it.
Old November 20, 2013, 06:00 PM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew

The DP-51 so much like a 3rd gen S&W! The shape of the frame and slide look as if they copied it and changed a few things. With the safety being on the frame , not the slide.

The shape has a lot of resemblance to the older DP-51 with a few improvements in looks. Nice looking pistol.
Old November 20, 2013, 06:30 PM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
The DP-51 so much like a 3rd gen S&W! The shape of the frame and slide look as if they copied it and changed a few things.
Well... kinda. I actually think it's closer to a 2nd-gen Smith, as it has traditional separate screw-on grip panels (good), a vertical blade rear sight rather than a Novak-style ramped sight (meh), and a front sight that appears to be integral with the slide (bad).

Another significant difference is that the LH9/DP-51 uses an external Beretta-style RH-side trigger drawbar.
Old November 20, 2013, 06:49 PM   #8
RickB

My understanding is that the LH9 will run with S&W mags.
Old November 20, 2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Walt Sherrill

The DP-51 is an innovative gun. I've had two, and the similar DH40. (I try guns and then sell or trade them nd try others. The first one I had was particularly accurate, and I wish I had kept it.)

They have an unusual hinged hammer, which allows 1) hammer down DA start as with many guns; 2) cocked and locked, and 3) partially cocked with hammer pushed forward, with a very predictable "stage" or step as you move to hammer back and drop. The safety can be used in any mode.

The Lionheart seems to be the same gun with some minor cosmetic changes. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up again, if the price is right (which, for me, usualy means "used."

I always felt they seemed like a S&W built by SIG... S&W looks with a SIG "feel" about htem. Nice guns, and much underappreciated here in the U.S.

And they WILL run S&W 59 Series mags. (Don't know abount the mags for the 59xx series...) They stick out an extra 1/4" or so.
Old November 20, 2013, 11:33 PM   #10
Chowder

Wow tons of info guys thanks.

Quote:
My understanding is that the LH9 will run with S&W mags.
That's great. I thought this was an all new gun so I was wondering about mags and parts availability.

Quote:
This is a rebranding of the Daewoo firearms label, made in Korea. They produce high quality, military grade weapons. Do a search for "Daewoo" to read about their pistols and AR style long guns.
When I first saw Daewoo all I could think of was the cars and I got a little scared. I just looked up some info on the firearms and they seem to make some pretty cool guns, especially the rifles.

Quote:
I always felt they seemed like a S&W built by SIG... S&W looks with a SIG "feel" about htem.
When I first saw it what came to mind was a highpower/1911 with SIG ergonomics. I never handled any of the older S&W semi's though but with some side by side photos can definitely see the similar DNA.
Old November 21, 2013, 01:02 AM   #11
RBid

Lionheart LH9

I looooove the cocked/hammer forward mechanic. That is sexy. The press is long and light until that clear break. Very nice. The size of the LH9 is a strong point, too. Good carry option for steel/hammer guys who don't want a heavy first pull.
Old November 21, 2013, 01:23 AM   #12
RX-79G

RBid,

This is not a steel pistol, if that's what you mean.
Old November 21, 2013, 08:26 AM   #13
Walt Sherrill

As RX-79G notes, it's not steel -- not all steel, in any event:

1) Forged aluminum frame.
2) Steel slide and barrel.

The slide and frame are Cerakoted, apparently a variantion of Ceracoating, which is a very durable finish.

The forged frame makes it a bit lighter than a similarly-sized steel-framed gun.
Old November 21, 2013, 09:50 AM   #14
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill
...they WILL run S&W 59 Series mags. (Don't know abou[t] the mags for the 59xx series...)
Although there are numerous S&W factory variations, including 14rd and 15rd flavors, metal vs. plastic base plates, different followers, etc., AFAIK any 59-series mag will work in any 59-series or 91x-series pistol. Since the Daewoo/Lionheart has a slightly shorter mag well than a S&W, there's no obvious reason why any particular 59-series mag shouldn't work in the pistol.

Additionally, extended 20rd and 30rd 59-series mags have been offered by the aftermarket, and by Marlin for the Camp 9 Carbine, which was designed around a 59-series magazine. These mags should work in the Lionheart too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowder
When I first saw Daewoo all I could think of was the cars and I got a little scared.
I think this is the fundamental reason why this pistol is being marketed under the Lionheart brand. FWIW most significant industrial activity in South Korea falls under the auspices of a handful of giant conglomerates, one of which is Daewoo. It's safe to assume that their failed automotive division has no relation to their gunmaking operation. (BTW the automotive division bled much more red ink than expected, and was sold to GM, which restyled the cars, rebadged them as Suzukis, and reintroduced them on the North American market.)

Last edited by carguychris; November 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old November 21, 2013, 11:10 AM   #15
Bart Noir

Chowder, search this forum. We had a thread on this gun earlier in the year.

Bart Noir
Old November 21, 2013, 11:10 AM   #16
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Although there are numerous S&W factory variations, including 14rd and 15rd flavors, metal vs. plastic base plates, different followers, etc., AFAIK any 59-series mag will work in any 59-series or 91x-series pistol. Since the Daewoo/Lionheart has a slightly shorter mag well than a S&W, there's no obvious reason why any particular 59-series mag shouldn't work in the pistol.
The only magazines I used were for the S&W Model 59, which is a subtly different gun than the 5906 -- i.e., a generation older. Are you saying You HAVE used the 590X series mags successfully? (Not disputing your comments; just trying to be sure we're talking about the same thing...)
Old November 21, 2013, 12:22 PM   #17
PSP

Quote:
I think this is the fundamental reason why this pistol is being marketed under the Lionheart brand. FWIW most significant industrial activity in South Korea falls under the auspices of a handful of giant conglomerates, one of which is Daewoo. It's safe to assume that their failed automotive division has no relation to their gunmaking operation. (BTW the automotive division bled much more red ink than expected, and was sold to GM, which restyled the cars, rebadged them as Suzukis, and reintroduced them on the North American market.)
The Daewoo collapse had much more to do with poor management than bad cars. The Daewoo brand was dropped a long time ago.

Suzuki is a completely separate Japanese car maker... nothing to do with Daewoo or Korea.
Old November 21, 2013, 02:09 PM   #18
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill
The only magazines I used were for the S&W Model 59, which is a subtly different gun than the 5906 -- i.e., a generation older. Are you saying You HAVE used the 590X series mags successfully?
No, I've actually never fired a DP-51/LH9, nor tried to use a 59-series mag in one.

However, I'm a S&W TDA enthusiast, and I've never heard of a situation in which a magazine from a 59-series pistol did not fit in another 59-series pistol, regardless of the generation or model, or the exact magazine type. IOW the magazines are all interchangeable, at least in the Smiths.

Also, pardon the slight thread hijack...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
The Daewoo collapse had much more to do with poor management than bad cars. The Daewoo brand was dropped a long time ago... Suzuki is a completely separate Japanese car maker... nothing to do with Daewoo or Korea.
I never said that the problem was bad cars, although the US-market Daewoos were by no means outstanding. Actually, I've also heard it was caused by bad management, combined with ridiculously optimistic sales projections that prompted the company to vastly over-invest in plant capacity.

The Daewoo Leganza, Nubira, and Lanos became the Suzuki Verona, Suzuki Forenza, and Chevy Aveo respectively. They were extensively restyled to mask their Daewoo heritage, and in the case of the Verona and Forenza, were sold alongside actual Japanese-engineered Suzuki vehicles.

Last edited by carguychris; November 21, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old November 21, 2013, 02:33 PM   #19
RickB

And how successful were they after being rebadged as Suzukis?
I find that hard-to-pronounce car names, names that sound "funny" to Americans, are not a good way to go. Leganza? A new type of pasta? Nubria? A former Dutch colony in Africa?
Old November 21, 2013, 07:32 PM   #20
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguychris
No, I've actually never fired a DP-51/LH9, nor tried to use a 59-series mag in one.

However, I'm a S&W TDA enthusiast, and I've never heard of a situation in which a magazine from a 59-series pistol did not fit in another 59-series pistol, regardless of the generation or model, or the exact magazine type. IOW the magazines are all interchangeable, at least in the Smiths.
I didn't know that a 5906 mag would work in a Model 59 -- or vice versa. I didn't realize that the Model 59 and 590x guns were that compatible.

I do know, however, that the 4006 mags will NOT work in the DH-40. Because of that I suspected that the same relationship between the 400X series to the 500x would carry over. Apparently not.

(You can make a Model 59 mag work in the DH-40 with some work on the front of the mag, lowering it a bit, or by opening up the top by putting a bigger GAP in the feed lips. Either solution could ruin the mag if you get too heavy-handed.)
Old November 21, 2013, 11:04 PM   #21
Chowder

Quote:
FWIW most significant industrial activity in South Korea falls under the auspices of a handful of giant conglomerates, one of which is Daewoo.
My first reaction to the south Korean car brands probably was unwarranted, especially seeing the cars they have been putting out for the last decade. The more I see about these guns, and the older Daewoo variants, makes me want to pick up the Lionheart and the Daewoo. 13 December I am starting my drive from the great state of Alaska and moving to the great state of Texas. I think I have added yet another gun to my short list for when I reach Texas based on all the info you guys have given me.

I am avoiding getting into the automotive portion of this discussion so we can stay on topic. Before starting my military career I was a mechanic so this is hard to do haha. One day I might find the perfect firearm/auto forum to join. Of course TFL is as close to perfect a forum I have been a part of so far .
Old September 26, 2014, 04:20 PM   #22
BFMCBeaner

I sometimes kick myself for selling my old DP-51. I was a poor soldier then and sold it because I needed the money or buy another gun.

I bought one back in '96 after coming back from Korea and shooting a Korean Army one at MPRC on the range. The tri action trigger to me was the bee's knee's. I should have kept it but been eyeing to add a LH9 to my stable as of late.