The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 19, 2010, 09:37 AM   #1
stegar1

how much does size matter?

in bullets that is. i was wondering if there is any real noticeable difference in weights for .454 when hunting hogs?

i have some 260 gr pthp and some 300 gr xtp i was told i should get some 325 and 360 buffalo bore.

i shoot them out of a puma 92. shot placement is not normaly an issue.

with that caliber on hog sized animals..even big hogs is there any practical difference?

Semper Fi
Old October 19, 2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Daryl

I like a soft-point or hardcast for hunting with big-bore handgun cartridges, simply for better penetration and less meat damage. Bullet design and construction is far more important than a few grains of bullet weight.

As an example, I'd chose a 260 gr hardcast over a 300 gr hollow point when penetration might be an issue, although either would work fine on thin-skinned game like deer.

My standard hunting load for my .45 Colt uses a Speer 300 gr JSP, and I've had no issues with insufficient penetration. In fact, I've never recovered a bullet...from anything.
Old October 19, 2010, 09:12 PM   #3
BIG P

I use a 454 also in a SRH.Igot a deal on some Magtec 260gr.I got the same
result on hogs as did with 300gr. hornady 10 bucks a box for the magtec
dead is dead.
Old October 20, 2010, 11:25 AM   #4
GeauxTide

With the velocities of the 454, the heavier bullets would hold together better on tough animals.
Old October 20, 2010, 02:08 PM   #5
bswiv

I know you are talking about a .454 but I think this is along the same lines.

I've got a 45-70 that I used on a number of hogs. It's a double rifle so it is "regulated" for a particular load. In the instance of this one it is for the 300 grain bullet.

That being the case I used that bullet on a few hogs. Used handloads that my friend helped me with. They had a velocity of about 1800 or so.

Now what I found was that they opened up to much, did not pass through as I would have liked and did a bit of meat damage when one of them hit bone.

I'm a meat hunter and as we usually are hunting hogs and deer at close range in our thick NE Fl. swamps I like a larger slower bullet. Usually I use a old .35 Rem.

Anyway after seeing what the 300 grain slugs did and did not do on those hogs I took a few different loadings using the 405 grain cast lead flat point slugs to the range. As it turned out on of them regulated almost as well as the 300 grain.

That worked out because when a hog is shot with that bullet at 1400 or so it does less meat damage and it goes through.

I think you may find the same experence with the .454.

And if I may add this, there is a old article someplace on the web about large metplat bullets and how they deliver shock and drive straight without a lot of meat damage. You may want to look that up.