The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old January 22, 2005, 11:44 PM   #1
PhotoRecon

New flat rate priority mail shipping

Fellow reloaders:

The postal service is trying a two year program whereby you can ship up to 70lbs. in one of their boxes anywhere in the US for a flat rate of $7.70. Several cast bullet manufacturers are now shipping this way. One is getting 2,000 hard cast lead bullets of weights less than 230 grains into one box. This should allow shooters to buy from places in the US that would be cost prohibitive by UPS. This program might save us all some money on other none hazardous materials for reloading as well. I imagine live ammunition shipments may work as well up to a point.

I have 2000 185 SWC for 45 coming next week from Texas. As advertised the rate was a flat $7.70.

http://www.usps.com/shipping/flatrate.htm

Last edited by PhotoRecon; January 23, 2005 at 12:46 PM. Reason: left out word
Old January 23, 2005, 01:24 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks! That sounds cheaper than media mail.

Once I get my book published, it'll be cheaper for me to sell to museums or bookstores.
Old March 8, 2005, 07:16 PM   #3
HQBrass

We are trying this also. From my experience they tend to beat the crap out of the the heavier boxes and the shipper has to use USPS boxes and they are not the toughest boxes around. I really hope this works out.
Old March 9, 2005, 12:55 AM   #4
fastforty

Well, you could always drop a box inside of their box. Something tells me that postal delivery personel are not gonna be happy about those 70 pound boxes, especially around Christmas time We're on a rural route & our 60+ y/o mail lady has trouble with 10 pound packages
Old March 11, 2005, 09:03 AM   #5
HQBrass

All I'm going to say is USPS shipping supplies are free for the use of shipping USPS it does not say that you have to use one envelope or box per shipment . Think Tyvek.
Old March 13, 2005, 01:41 PM   #6
M16

Quote:
I imagine live ammunition shipments may work as well up to a point.

Shipping live ammo through the U.S. Postal service will get you in a heap of trouble as this is quite illegal.