The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2012, 09:41 AM   #1
larrymac1

CBC case problems

i started de-priming and resizing 9mm cases last night. Everything was cool then suddenly a case did not want to resize. I finished the stroke and the case has developed a ring/belt along the bottom of the case. I ran into 20 more cases that had some greater and lesser degree of this. All of the cases were CBC. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it somehting I am doing and not recognizing I am doing it? All other brands of cases resized without a problem and not all of the CBC were a problem. I will not be using those cases and will include some photos later if anyone is interested.
Old January 9, 2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I haven't encountered it, but it sounds like the bulge that can develop when a case is fired in a pistol that doesn't provide full, all-around case head support. It's very common in Glocks chambered for .40 S&W. Lee Precision (the reloading equipment company) has introduced a line of what they call "bulge buster" dies to deal with the problem.
Old January 9, 2012, 01:48 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Most of the CBC brass I have is fairly soft, and has a thin web. As such, it doesn't do well when fired in unsupported chambers.

The bulges are unsightly, annoying, and the death of the case. Chuck it.
Old January 9, 2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Sevens

I have used CBC brass in a few of different chamberings and I've had no issues with it -- of course, I've not run any really hardcore loads in them that I can recall.

I have bulged 9mm brass before, and I did it with a pistol that is not a Glock. My best guess as to how is because the brass I was using may have been on the "small" side for internal capacity and the pressure rose and the brass left me evidence that the load was too much, even though I had used the same load in other brass.

This was not CBC brass.

If two piles of brass were sitting before me... one pile of CBC brass, once fired, any caliber... or twice as many in a pile of R-P, same caliber, also once-fired, I'd take the CBC every time and twice on Sundays.
Old January 9, 2012, 03:25 PM   #5
larrymac1

CBC Problems

It is not a chambering problem. I have been firing this stuff for a while. I was a definate resizing problem. I had a mixture of cases fired the day before. Tumbled clean and removed the primer and resized the case. 22 CBC developed this belt at the lower edge of the case. They were fine until I started resizing them. Thanks for the responses so far. Hope this information helps put responses on the target.
Old January 10, 2012, 01:29 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Get us some photos.