The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Servant

Anyone ever try these: .223

Barnes® Triple-Shock® X-Bullet
Old January 6, 2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Roughedge

As are all Barnes bullets the are great. I load them as a coyote round. Hard hitting and retain almost all therfe weight.
Old January 6, 2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Not in 223 but I use the 110gr TTSX in my 7mm-08 Encore handgun. Fantastic bullet. Accuracy is as good as any. I've only shot one deer but it was BANG!, Flop! Dead before his feet hit the ground again.

I notice that they recommend 1:8 twist or better in 223.
Old January 7, 2012, 02:03 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

Why are you looking at the 70 grain version?

Your rate of twist?
Desired weight range?
Assumed increase in terminal performance?

Neither of us has taken big game with them, but Cornbush and I have both used the 53 gr TSX FB. (.220 Swift for me. .223 Rem for Cornbush.)
Old January 7, 2012, 05:57 AM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

I still have not been able to convince myself to drop enough coin to buy any of them. It is a bit to spendy for my paper punching, and blowing up plastic jugs of water. Though for a dramatic effect a 3 litre soda bottle full of water, and a 55 Grain V-Max will make a huge splash.
Old January 7, 2012, 08:25 AM   #6
Nathan

For what?
Old January 7, 2012, 08:54 AM   #7
lockinload

Just as we keep our carries loaded with some hollow points for that "special" moment. This would be a nice round to have loaded in a few magazines for circumstances that may require an exclamation point. Time to see if Barnes sells the bullet by itself.
Old January 7, 2012, 08:58 AM   #8
lockinload

I just found the bullet at PV for the same price as the factory round. $24.50 per 50. Yikes
Old January 7, 2012, 09:01 AM   #9
lockinload

My bad... I just realized the OPs post was for a box of bullets and not factory rounds.
Old January 7, 2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Servant

I'm looking at them for terminal ballistics. My barrel is 1:9 twist. Looking for a great bullet to take down a 200# unfriendly critter.
Old January 7, 2012, 01:08 PM   #11
603Country

If you don't go with the Barnes bullet, the 60 gr Nosler Partition or the 65 gr Sierra Gameking should do just fine for you.
Old January 7, 2012, 01:10 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

With a 24" barrel starting at around 2,700fps and max loads of 2900, those bullets would be marginally stable with a 1:9 twist.

If I were hunting deer with a 223, it would be with 55gr tsx bullets. They can be pushed to almost 3200fps and around 1200 ft/lbs at the muzzle.
Old January 7, 2012, 01:16 PM   #13
Servant

My weapon seems to shoot the 62grain bullets more accurate than the 55 grains, which is why I was looking at going further. So, weight aside, you have experience with them that they performed well at the end of travel?
Old January 7, 2012, 01:35 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The 110gr 7mm performed exactly as expected (and hoped) on the deer. Unfortunately, samples of one are notoriously unreliably. I don't really expect any less though, since many people have used them and they are almost universally held in high regard.

You have to remember that a 70gr all copper bullet is longer than a 70gr copper jacket, lead core bullet. Even if your barrel is 24", you're going to be on the edge of stability. If it's under 24", I'd be surprised if you got enough speed but it might be that your gun will stabilize them fine. The worst you're out is about $35 worth of ammo and some time.
Old January 7, 2012, 02:22 PM   #15
Servant

yea, I have no experience with copper bullets at all, so trial and error. Always looking for the bigger and better thing
Old January 7, 2012, 06:20 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

If it were me, loading .223 Remington (you haven't specified), I would use a 53-62 gr version.

The 70 gr TSX will be about as long as an 80+ grain bullet of standard construction (cup-and-core). It is length, not weight, that has the most affect on stability. Not many barrels can handle an 80+ grain 'class' bullet with a 1:9" twist.

If you just want to see if it will shoot heavier bullets, you should stick with a standard bullet (and run the TSX tests separately). In that case, I would start with some bullets in the 68-75 gr range.

In my opinion, the increase in weight from 62-70 grains won't get you much in the way of "killing power", either. You're better off with an accurate and predictable 60 grain bullet, than an unpredictable and unstable 70 gr bullet.
Old January 7, 2012, 06:41 PM   #17
Servant

So your saying the copper bullets are longer? In that case I will probably go with the 62grain bullet. This bullet, regardless of length, is what I was really interested in, I have never seen what they can do.
Old January 7, 2012, 08:36 PM   #18
603Country

I'm with Frankenmauser. The 60 gr Nosler Partition would be all you'll ever need for a coyote or big pig or small deer. Since my rifle didn't shoot that 60 gr bullet too well (Ok, but not great), I followed advice on this forum and went to the 65 gr Sierra Gameking. My 1 in 9 twist Ruger loves that bullet. I also have some 55 gr Gamekings, but haven't tried them yet. And I should mention that the 65 grain Sierra has a similar velocity and BC to the bullet I shoot in the 270, so flight path is easy for me to anticipate. No, it's not the same BC, but close enough.
Old January 7, 2012, 08:59 PM   #19
Servant

One other factor is my barrel length (should have done mentioned it, sorry) which is 16". Know that, although it would be nice, my #1 goal is not to put them through 1 hole of paper @ 1000 meters, it is for the best terminal velocity I can get. And I regularly shoot @ 200 yards for practice, and distances in between. (ducks his head after typing this in anticipation of s###t thrown for not saying something earlier). Also, this is not a bolt weapon, but an AR, and I don't mean Arkansas.
Old January 8, 2012, 02:33 PM   #20
A_Gamehog

As usual some good advise by FrankenMauser, and peetzakilla

Quote:
The 70 gr TSX will be about as long as an 80+ grain bullet of standard construction (cup-and-core). It is length, not weight, that has the most affect on stability. Not many barrels can handle an 80+ grain 'class' bullet with a 1:9" twist.

Many factors contribute to a good stable bullet and success,

Elevation
Bullet speed (Charge weight)
Bullet length
Barrel length
Barrel twist

With a 16" barrel and a long for weight solid copper bullet you are marginal.
What works for me @ 4500ft elevation with a 24" barrel won't work for you.

Last edited by A_Gamehog; January 8, 2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old January 8, 2012, 04:55 PM   #21
thallub

i've killed a couple dozen wild hogs using the 53 grain TSX in my .223 rifles. Some of those hogs weighed over 250 pounds. My shots are placed very carefully with the intention of dropping the hog DRT.
Old January 8, 2012, 06:15 PM   #22
Servant

Well, if they will take care of a hog that size, they will handle what I am looking for. Did you head shot it or go for the vitals (through all that cartridge)?

Thank you all for your input, I do listen well. Could you please school me up, or point me in the direction to learn, on how to figure the barrel length to bullet weight/length? I do realize that a longer the barrel (up to a certain point) will allow the pressure to push the bullet faster.

Let's assume apples to apples: semi-auto, 1:9 twist, within same altitude/humidity, etc.--All things equal except barrel length, one being a 16" barrel, the second being a 20" barrel, and the third being a 24" barrel, using the same type bullet, same manufacturer, and SAME POWDER AND LOAD, what differences would the barrel length cause to happen?

Also, is it not true that a larger bullet, of the same caliber/type, ect. would have a larger effect on the target? I am thinking that although the transfer of energy would be the same, the larger bullet would have more energy to transfer, which would = greater terminal effect. I do realize that in order for this to be so, the larger bullet would have to be loaded hotter than the smaller in order to gain = PSI, or more, to attain the same rate of speed. Is this wrong?

I know that is allot of questions rolled into one post, but please be patient with me and fill in the holes. I probably know just enough to waist allot of money!! , Thank you ahead of time for answering these questions. God bless.
Old January 8, 2012, 11:38 PM   #23
A_Gamehog

Of all the .223's I have owned, they are all 24-26" rifles. 3 AR-15's and 3 .223 bolt guns. So my experiences won't help you. I don't encourage you to shoot
game with a .223 larger than 75 lbs. It's just me and I have seen many wounded animals (deer) in my 45+ years of hunting. Barnes does make a great bullet though, I have used them in every rifle I have owned.

Greenhill calculator link http://www.z-hat.com/twistrate.htm

You can use the 62's with a hot load of R-15 or Varget with thick

primers like rem 7-1/2 or CCI 450's. Winchester brass usually holds the most

powder. Start low and work up. You can't use the 70's as they did not work well for me unless I used a really hot load and was at 5,000+ ft elevation. Sometimes rifles are built and stamped with 1-9 but if you run a tight rod and patch and accurately count the revolutions it may be 1-8.5 or even 1-9.5. Button rifled or hammer forged for example. I never shot a 16" rifle but it should do well with 40-69 grain bullets of lead and copper construction. The 60 grain V-Max bullets would be your best bet for Varmints.
Old January 9, 2012, 12:02 AM   #24
Servant

Gamehog, not for deer, but for sd. Where I live my dirty 30 does just fine in the deer woods for me.
Old January 9, 2012, 03:27 AM   #25
Bamashooter

The 62gr. Barnes TSX shoots just fine with a 1:9 twist. I broke down and tried some just before christmas. I used Tac powder and an OAL of 2.26''. I havent shot anything with them yet but paper but bought them for deer and coyote. I reload the sierra 65gr. as well and can say its a fine bullet if any other but the barnes interest's you. Barnes is all copper giving it an advantage over other bullets.