The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 2, 2009, 10:56 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Removal of breech plug on Cabelas Hawken

Well, here it is about 10 days before black powder season, and I screwed up my gun. I have a jag with a dry patch stuck at the breech end of the barrel, and the threaded brass fitting came off of the derned ram rod. I have a range rod, and used a ball retriever that has been good for getting lead balls removed. No dice. The brass fitting must fit inside of the tube shaped grabber, and even though I could get the wad tangled up in that grabber, it would come apart when I tried to remove the rod.

I have run a lubed patch down to the brass jag/fitting to try and ease the removal. I tried the pointed screw attachment on the range rod and cannot get anything started into stuck brass. Dagnabbit!

I have one of those handy dandy little CO2 ball removers but am fresh out of CO2. I will get some CO2 tomorrow. If that doesn't work (and I doubt it will, because the jag fits rather loosely into the barrel and the only thing jamming it in the tube is that dry patch....the CO2 will probably leak around the thing.)

I do not...repeat do not want to remove the breech plug, if there is any other way to get this out. I thought about trying to get a drill bit into the range rod tip some way and drilling a starter hole in the brass fitting holding the jag, and then maybe the screw type ball remover would get a hold in there.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Colorado Redneck; September 2, 2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Mi spelling sux
Old September 3, 2009, 05:36 AM   #2
Hawg

If the co2 doesn't get it out try removing the nipple and put some powder under it. You really don't want to try to remove the breech plug. It's probably going to have to have heat to get it out.
Old September 3, 2009, 06:41 AM   #3
dodgecummins01

What Hawg said!!! I have also pulled the ramrod tip off before, I pin mine in place before use.
Old September 3, 2009, 07:20 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

CO2 or compressed air at 150 psi, good luck.
Old September 3, 2009, 09:10 AM   #5
Gbro

My sympathy's,
If the jag pulled off it is probably stuck very tight in the patented breach.
The CO2 is going to be better than a small amount of powder in the nipple hole, but before removing the breech I would try everything as the plug will never look the same after removal. IMHO!
I would even try a powder charge of black powder. It may get under the stuck patch just after a shot of CO-2 or air.
Or a whittled down rod with some super glue on it, But I expect it is jammed to tight for that.

Keep us posted, and keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction!
Old September 3, 2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Pahoo

Been thar more times than I care to mention and other than what has been posted, be sure to soak the bottom of that breech area for at least an hour, not just the wet patch. The #13 or whatever you use will work it's way around and below the patch and really loosen up the contact area. Then do the CO2 and you may have to repeat this. This is the method I used the last time we had a stuck ramrod. Strange to see a ramrod flying down range and hearing a thunk sound, when we discharged the CO2. The application of a small amount of powder, will work but not push it out all the way. There was a previous post where A fella had a rock crusher that had a simular problem and he wound up using a grease gun. Look fer it as I thought is was pretty ingenious on his part. I don't think or hope you won't have to disassemble the breech plug. Please let us know how you made out!!

Be Safe !!!
Old September 3, 2009, 09:44 AM   #7
robhof

robhof

Been there done that. As above I now pin all my rod tips. I had one that wasn't responding to the C02, so I added copious amounts of bore butter and swabbed it down to the obstruction; fired out like a giant pellet with a greasy following.
Old September 3, 2009, 11:34 AM   #8
W. C. Quantrill

Take the nipple out, put a grease zerk in its place and run down to Coop and use their air greaser and just push it out the end of the barrel. The barrel will have a half a cup of grease in it, but you can clean that out real easy by taking the zerk out and just pushing it back down with a good rod and jag. It will come right out the nipple hole and then you can give the barrel a good scrubbing with solvent, then oil it and go. You can be done with it in 30 minutes,,,try that before you ruin the barrel trying to pull the plug.
Old September 3, 2009, 06:13 PM   #9
Colorado Redneck

Thanks everybody!

These are great ideas! this forum and the people that post here are the greatest!

I am under the weather and just got home from work. In the next couple of days I will try these ideas and suggestions. One of the guys I work with had this happen when he was 5 miles from the truck in the Rockies. He put a little bit of black powder in through the ignition port and under the obstruction and capped and fired the thing right out. All I have is tripple seven and it is pretty granular. Enough of that might get in so might try that first.

And I will post whatever happens.

Thanks again
Old September 3, 2009, 06:57 PM   #10
W. C. Quantrill

Got kids? Ever mash a pill between 2 spoons? Launch it into a pillow or a cardboard box so you can find it.
Old September 3, 2009, 07:48 PM   #11
markallen

+1 on W. C. Quantrill.
The only thing I can add to this is to get a grease gun of your own, and instead of using grease, pack the gun with Criscoe. You can remove the Criscoe from the barrel and reuse it in the gun. Plus it makes it easier to clean the barrel afterwards.
Old September 4, 2009, 09:04 PM   #12
Colorado Redneck

Got it fixed!

I took the advice about loading the barrel pretty heavily with bore butter. Squeezed about a teaspoon or so into the barrel and then pushed it down with a lubed patch. Waited a little bit and used the CO2 ball remover to blow the patch and the jag right out into an empty grain bag. Whew! thanks for all of the input. Also bought one of the composit ramrods that you cut to length.

This Hawkin was shooting Hornady 425 gr. Great Plains really good. Can't wait to go out for an elk.

Thanks again.
Old September 4, 2009, 09:51 PM   #13
Buck Conner

I was going to tell you to return it to either Sidney NE, or Lehi UT for repair or an exchange unit. Cabelas will stand behind it, we get guns in all the time with similar problems, some a manufacturer deal - most the owner did it.
NAF Mountaineer Degree
Old September 5, 2009, 01:23 PM   #14
Colorado Redneck

No doubt...this was my fault

I shoulda run a lubed patch down the barrel first. We had shot the gun three times with triple seven since last good cleaning, so I didn't think it would be so darned tight for a dry patch. I wuz wrong. Agin. Ain't gonna be the last time, neither, unless I blow myself up pretty sudden.

Thanks again to ya'all.