The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 23, 2013, 03:21 PM   #26
Magnum Wheel Man

so... as a quick question for those who have both... do the 4 hole turrets interchange between both "aluminum" & "cast iron" presses ???

I had already ordered 2 extra turrets... ( they came today )

still unsure if I want to keep the ( non Classic ) model for pistol calibers only, & buy a Classic for rifle calibers, or send this one back ( I did print up the return form...

so I guess you guys with the lighter one... can you talk me into keeping it, or if you had the choice, would you send it back, even though you could use 2 presses ??? ( would 2 classics be better than one classic & this press ??? )
Old July 23, 2013, 04:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Just my opinion here and I use the Lee scale while reloading, anyone who has difficulty using the lee scale is most probably going to have there hands full loading there own ammo. Just a added thought, if you can't adjust the scale how can you adjust and set your dies????
That may be "just your opinion", but it sounds like it's coming from someone that's never used anything else. Do a search on the LEE scale and see what the evaluations actually are. I helped my brother in law get started in reloading and he bought the Breech-Lock Challenger kit that came with the LEE Scale. It wasn't worth the pot-metal it was made from. Zeroing was next to impossible and the powder weight measured gave a different reading with every attempt.

Just an added thought, is that the way a new reloader should go? With your last question you obviously overlooked the fact that I've been doing this for over 28 years. I've been setting dies probably longer than you could spell the word!
Old July 23, 2013, 04:20 PM   #28
Farmland

If you do not like it then send it back. I'm not going to labor the point to take time to read the Lee Web Site to learn about the differences, you know them now. I don't mean this to be a mean spirited comment.

So the easy solution is if you do not like it send it back for what you want.

I have never own or used a Lee turret press so I can't say which one is better or what the difference is in actual operation.

However I did own the Breech Lock Challenger Single Stage press which is made out of the same material. For a light weight cast press it did an amazing job. So I can tell you the material make up of the press irrelevant and it did a great job.

Since I didn't load anything but my 25-06 on a single stage this fit the job. However I soon started to load even more calibers with my single stage and I started looking for something with a little more heft.

I then bought the Classic Cast Single Stage press. To me the advantage was more leverage or at least it felt better than the Breech Lock. I love this press and no one will ever convince me this isn't the best value and the best single stage press on the market today.

So I have the Cadillac Dillon equipment working right along with the low end press manufacture and you would think Dillon made them both.

My point is that the cheaper material in your press should do just fine, though I have no first hand use in the turret operation but based on the single stage I would not be too worried about the build.

Did I need to move from the Breech to the Classic Cast? To be honest I wish I kept the Breech and no the Breech would have worked just fine. In fact i am looking for a used one to compliment my Classic Cast.

It is funny sometimes you can always find reason why two single stage presses are better than one.
Old July 23, 2013, 04:37 PM   #29
Farmland

The Lee Safety Powder Scale does a great job. Most people just discount that something this simple works. One thing that experience does is make you loyal to a particular piece of equipment you have use for ever.

Some people have problems with any type of balance beam scale. When I am into double checking loads at max I use three scales just to check them out and all three have read the same, Lee & RCBS balance and my Lyman Digital.

Look for a low budget scale it does its job. In most cases people who had problems had two issues, first they didn't know who to zero or in fact the Lee scale was defective. Those that sent back and exchange their problem Lee Scales had no issues when it came back.

I have a Lyman balance scale. For some reason I started having problems getting it to zero and it was always off. I did everything I could think of and when I got frustrated I put in away. Over a year later I pulled it out determined to get it to zero. After playing with it for awhile I notice a piece had broken off near where the pan holder attaches. So finally I found out I wasn't crazy or dumb. However for a good yer I said Lyman produced the worse scales in the world.
Old July 23, 2013, 06:22 PM   #30
lamarw

If I were you, I don't think I would worry about it. Below are pictures of my two Lee Turret Presses. I am only aware of Lee having these two models; although I could be wrong. In picture 1 is the plain model and in in picture two is the classic model. In picture three, you will see the two (Classic on the left).

I have never liked the auto indexing feature, and you will see it removed from both my turret presses. This is a personal thing.

Yes, the classic is a superior press. Otherwise, they function the same for me with the exception of the nice tube for expended primers on the classic.

Hope the pictures help in your decision making. I should apologize for my messy work area, but I want since I have everything I need within reach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reload 1.jpg (245.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Reload 2.jpg (248.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Reload 3.jpg (251.0 KB, 36 views)
Old July 23, 2013, 06:42 PM   #31
CADILLAC HOOSIER

I really like mine. Load 357, 38, and 40 S&W. I get about 125-150 rounds an Hr. Visually inspect each powder drop. Probably load 1200-1500 rounds a month. Simple and easy to use, what I learned on. If it wears out, Ill get another one!! Load safe, shoot safe. Hoosier
Old July 23, 2013, 07:01 PM   #32
Seven High

The only thing that I do not like on the Lee reloader is Safety Prime. There is always at least two primers that will not eject from its dispenser. I asked a Lee dealer about this problem. According to them, there is no remedy.
Old July 23, 2013, 07:18 PM   #33
osirus82

The issues does suck a little, but its not the worst thing in the world, i too vote to contact midway and return it, and of course drop the additional 100 bucks. no worries, be happy.
Old July 23, 2013, 08:10 PM   #34
lamarw

Seven High, I have not encountered the problem you mentioned. Once in awhile there is a jam, but it is not a routine issue. Are you referring to the last two primers in the primer? Is it happening for you using both the large and small Safety Primers? I often refill the primer tray prior to running out.

If it is the last two primers, then try refilling prior to running totally out of primers. Using the Safety Primer sure is better than any other method I know of using Lee reloading with a turret press.
Old July 23, 2013, 10:02 PM   #35
dickttx

What lamarw said. I always end up with my magazine about half full, then just put it in a Folgers coffee can. I have never tried to get all to feed.
Old July 24, 2013, 12:17 AM   #36
skizzums

i got the lee anniversary from fs reloading for about 100$, its the cheaper press, perfect powder measure(awesome btw for TG, havent tried others yet), the primer tool and the saftey scale. i know its a cheaper version, but i love it, maybe if i had other kits i would feel differently, but m working on 3k rounds now and havent had an issue yet. my only complaint is i was the scale was a little heavier, but i'm sure i could fix the finniky-ness by using a heavier bowl. overall for 100$, i love it.
Old July 24, 2013, 12:18 AM   #37
skizzums

and the primer thingy only has issues when you start to run out of primer, just doesnt have enough weight on top of the primers to push it through the neck, just put more primers in it. a non-issue
Old July 24, 2013, 10:47 AM   #38
Don P

Quote:
That may be "just your opinion", but it sounds like it's coming from someone that's never used anything else. Do a search on the LEE scale and see what the evaluations actually are. I helped my brother in law get started in reloading and he bought the Breech-Lock Challenger kit that came with the LEE Scale. It wasn't worth the pot-metal it was made from. Zeroing was next to impossible and the powder weight measured gave a different reading with every attempt.

Just an added thought, is that the way a new reloader should go? With your last question you obviously overlooked the fact that I've been doing this for over 28 years. I've been setting dies probably longer than you could spell the word!
I have been spelling for quite some time so please gently unwad you pantaloons for I was a new to reloading some 7 years ago and to date have used 2 different digitals and the Lee scale. I continue to use the Lee scale and must be extremely lucky to have one that can be zeroed without issue and continually give the same powder charge weight reading where my digitals did not.

Quote:
Just an added thought, is that the way a new reloader should go?
Yes, and is your answer no because you had issues with the scale?

Quote:
The Lee Safety Powder Scale does a great job. Most people just discount that something this simple works. One thing that experience does is make you loyal to a particular piece of equipment you have use for ever.

Some people have problems with any type of balance beam scale. When I am into double checking loads at max I use three scales just to check them out and all three have read the same, Lee & RCBS balance and my Lyman Digital.
Another lucky customer I guess.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 24, 2013, 12:00 PM   #39
kostner

Sold two Lee Turret presses and bought the New Classic and never looked back. Had the turrets for twenty years one for me 45 acp and the other for the wife 9mm. She stopped reloading years ago so I up graded to the Classic sold my RCBS jr. and load all rifle 3030, 3006, 7.62x39 and 5.56 on the new Lee. Never got the double disk to work well so I still use a Hornady on the rifle cases. Was saving up to buy the Hornady AP but had to ask myself What for?
I run two SDB's 45 & 9mm but all other reloading is done on the Lee Cassic. Best $125 I ever spent on reloading except maybe the new Rockford Vibra Prime. Jim
Old July 24, 2013, 12:11 PM   #40
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've been reloading for over 30 years.... damn, a lot closer to 40 than 30..., and have worked extensively with many scales, powder throwers, measures, presses, dies, etc., from virtually all of the 20th century's major manufacturers.

It's always interesting to find yourself weighing powder on a scale that was bought new in 1927, throwing powder charges with a measure from the 1950s, and loading on a press from the 1960s.

I've come across a lot of items over the years of which I'm not particularly fond, and to be perfectly honest, the Lee Safety Scale is on top of, or very near the top of, that list.

I've always found it to be too fiddly and annoying to set and, much worse, far too easy to inadvertently knock off its intended charge weight without noticing it.

It only took me about an hour of working with one to know that I wasn't going to be working with one again.

If you find that it serves your purposes, more power to you. But I won't recommend one.

And, just to make sure that no one can accuse me of anti-Lee snobbery...

My primary press - Lee Classic Cast Turret

My primary dies - Lee

My primary powder measure - Lee Auto Disk Pro (my RCBS Uniflow and my Belding & Mull also get workouts)

My primary hand primer - Lee

My primary shotshell press - Lee Load All II

But my primary powder weighing device?

RCBS 5-10.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; July 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old July 24, 2013, 05:16 PM   #41

In my first post on this thread I gave my opinion that the Classic Turret is probably the best press available $ for $. The Classic Cast single-stage is also an excellent press for the $. I have a Classic Turret and on it are the Safety Prime and Pro Auto Disk powder measure. It leaks powders that are fine grained but it's easy enough to sweep the spillage back into the powder container after reloading. I only have problems with the Safety Prime when I use the nickel plated CCI-500 primers which is easily fixed by using Winchester SP primers.

The most precise tool on your loading bench should be the powder measure because inaccurate powder charges can get you into trouble, especially with the high number of new shooters that have TiteGroup (or other very fast burners) recommended to them by the commando at the local gun shop. A scale should work well enough to eliminate any doubt about the accuracy of the powder charges you're throwing. For those of you that don't have a problem with the LEE scale, good for you, but, have you checked it against another balance beam scale? If not, you're ASS-uming that the LEE is accurate.

Like I said, do a search on the LEE scale and see what the majority of opinions actually are. I don't know any EXPERIENCED handloader that would recommend the LEE scale. The one I checked out was properly set and would NOT consistently zero, first clue. But even when zeroed, it would give a different charge weight for every charge thrown. This information is not for those who make a habit of assuming when they handload, it's for those that may be considering buying a LEE Cast Iron press in kit form. Don't do it! One way or another, the Safety Prime and the Pro Disk powder measure are functional. The LEE scale is best avoided and any truly knowledgeable reloader will tell you the same.
Old July 24, 2013, 05:28 PM   #42
Real Gun

That's a lot of drama about the accuracy of a Lee scale, but how many who have a turret press, the topic of this thread, even care? The whole point of the turret's automation is more productivity, and clearly the case-activated powder measure is a big part of that. For handgun ammo, it is quite adequate, although we know some powders flow better and more consistently than others.
Old July 24, 2013, 06:05 PM   #43
CrustyFN

Quote:
so if you have a Lee turret... do you like it, & what are you loading on it...
I love mine. I load 9mm, 38/357, 45 auto and 223 on mine.
Old July 24, 2013, 10:03 PM   #44
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Wheel Man
so... as a quick question for those who have both... do the 4 hole turrets interchange between both "aluminum" & "cast iron" presses ???

I had already ordered 2 extra turrets... ( they came today )
I believe they do. If you want to convert a 3-hole Deluxe into a 4-hole Deluxe you have to buy new verticals and a new ring. But I BELIEVE the 4-hole Deluxe and the 4-hole Classic use the same ring and same turrets. I would call Lee Precision directly (or or send them an email-they usually answer in one working day, but keep the question simple, unambiguous and one per email). I would not ask Midway, nor any retailer (even Factory Sales people have made mistakes about parts compatability) but Lee Precision. The only reseller I would completely trust to ask would be Sue Kempf at Kempf's Gun Shop online. She is good and uses a Lee Classic Turret herself.

Or, you could go to Lee Precision's web site, drill down to the "parts" list for the two different presses and look at the part numbers of the turret disks. If the part number for the Classic Turret press' disks is the same part number for the Deluxe 4-hole Turret press' disks, they will fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Wheel Man
still unsure if I want to keep the ( non Classic ) model for pistol calibers only, & buy a Classic for rifle calibers, or send this one back ( I did print up the return form...

so I guess you guys with the lighter one... can you talk me into keeping it, or if you had the choice, would you send it back, even though you could use 2 presses ??? ( would 2 classics be better than one classic & this press ??? )
THAT is a tough one. If you can deal with a less convenient spent primer disposal system, the slightly cheaper price (and convenience of not having to return it) might be worth it. If buying new, the joy of the lesser upfront cost will fade every time I have to sweep up spilled primers.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; July 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old July 24, 2013, 10:22 PM   #45
higgite

The 4 hole turret press and the 4 hole classic turret press both use the same 4 hole quick change turret.
Old July 25, 2013, 06:14 AM   #46
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks for the reply's guys...
Old July 27, 2013, 12:38 AM   #47
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57K
But even when zeroed, it would give a different charge weight for every charge thrown.
I've had powder measure and powder combinations that do that too. Often, using a different powder measure straightens it right out.
Old July 27, 2013, 06:41 PM   #48

Quote:
I've had powder measure and powder combinations that do that too. Often, using a different powder measure straightens it right out.
I hear ya. When I bought the RC-130 it didn't have as much to do with price as it did precision and I had previously bought, and had to return, a Dillon Eliminator scale because it didn't want to consistently zero. The RC-130 being inexpensive is just an added benefit because you can expect a higher degree of accuracy in weighing charges with a scale that has a 131 gr. limit vs. a 500 gr. limit, IMO. Otherwise, I'd own and use a REDDING #2 that's supposed to be accurate to 1/20th of a grain rather than the typical 1/10th of a grain.