The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 5, 2012, 09:15 AM   #1
ycastane

Holster Question

What would be better for carrying, IWB or if there is such thing IWB for lower back. Yes side IWB is a lot easier and faster but just for concealment purposes which area would conceal better out of those 2?? Lower back or side?
Old September 5, 2012, 04:10 PM   #2
BarryLee

It really is a personal thing based on body type and manner of dress. For me I have found that carrying IWB at what I refer to as the 3:30 – 4:00 position works best for me.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 5, 2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Creeper

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a IWB-SOB these days. For a number of years, the OWB-SOB was a popular rig, in particular, the Galco SOB.
I used an SOB for a number of years as a firearms sales person. I found it quite easy to conceal well, comfortable and easy to access in all situations save one... driving a vehicle. Bear in mind that both of the guns I carried in SOBs were not exactly small or light... a 5" SS 1911 and a HK P7M8.

If you want to try IWB-SOB, you have to consider what angle you want the gun butt to be presented and if the design of the holster will accommodate you. If you are right handed, you may end up with a left handed holster to achieve the desired result.

C
Old September 7, 2012, 11:10 AM   #4
ycastane

Yeah i was thinking about that, ending up with a left hand right just to get the desired angle. I'll most likely get the IWB around 3-4 o'clock position from CrossBreed and go from there!!

I was just asking to see if i could get away with carrying without having to compromise clothing style, i use fitted jeans and shirts and polos and that kind of stuff so i know i have to get some lose garments in oder for me to carry.
Old September 7, 2012, 05:22 PM   #5
MLeake

SOB conceals well from the front, but you'll want good mirrors or a significant other to check visibility from the back. Also, bending forward can highlight the gun. Last, driving and extended sitting may not be comfortable.