The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 15, 2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Doc41

Best sights for a Ruger SR-556E

I just bought an SR-556E and I'm wondering about the best fixed sights for this rifle. I'm also interested in an optical sight, but I want some fold-down sights as well. Any ideas for newbie? I appreciate the help.

Last edited by Doc41; May 16, 2012 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old May 15, 2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Rogervzv

I went with the Troy Battle Sights, which are the ones Ruger uses as well. Here are my reviews on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3UKFN4...cm_cr_rdp_perm

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3OIRM4...cm_cr_rdp_perm

Or for a red dot sight, I like the EOTech XPS2-0

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1QMMR1...cm_cr_rdp_perm
Old May 16, 2012, 05:54 AM   #3
Doc41

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful. I'm excited to get this thing operational and on the range for some practice. And, thanks for the quick response.
Old May 16, 2012, 06:10 AM   #4
Doc41

After thought

I was looking at those Troy sights and see they make some with tritium. Any thoughts on those?
Old May 16, 2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Rogervzv

Hi Doc41:

I got my front and rear Troys with the Tritium. Unless you really think you are going to be shooting in very very dim light, I would take a pass on the Tritium and buy several boxes of ammo instead. The Tritium might be good for a tactical or hunting situation, I suppose, but it is nothing dramatic. When the Zombies come, I may very well change my mind, but that is my opinion until then.

Sure do like the Troy sights though. They exude quality and grace any rifle.
Old May 17, 2012, 12:03 AM   #6
Fishbed77

I'm throwing my vote in for the Troy Folding Battle Sights as well. Super simple and very well-built.
Old May 17, 2012, 05:15 AM   #7
Doc41

Thanks

Thanks guys. They are ordered. Can't wait to get them.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:36 AM   #8
Rogervzv

Don't forget to give us a range report! Be sure that you have the tool that adjusts the front sight in-hand when you go to the range. I at least was unable to adjust the front sight using a .223 round. Here is what it looks like:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2PHH5L...cm_cr_rdp_perm
Old May 17, 2012, 10:41 AM   #9
Doc41

Roger that!

Yep, I ordered one of those too. I also ordered the EXPS3-0. I'm hoping I like it. I guess I can send it back if I don't. Looks like I'll have to add a magnifier to it at some point.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old May 17, 2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Fishbed77

One of the biggest reasons the SR-556E costs so much less than the SR-556 is that Ruger just deleted the Troy Folding Battle Sights from the package!

They aren't cheap (unless you luck out like me and find a brand-new S&W-marked set off a display gun for $150) but they are worth it.
Old May 27, 2012, 09:49 AM   #11
Doc41

Eotech too high for rear Troy Battle Sight

I was expecting that my Troy sights would work through the Eotech EXPS3-0. However, when I pop up the rear sight, it's too low to see the front sight without removing the EXPS3-0. Is the EXPS3-0 the wrong sight to work with the Troy Battle Sight?
Old May 27, 2012, 10:40 AM   #12
Rogervzv

I am using my Troy sights with the EOTech XPS2-0 and it co-witnesses perfectly. Is there a difference? Do you have a photo? I would expect that the unit you are using would work in exactly the same way.

Last edited by Rogervzv; May 28, 2012 at 06:31 AM.