Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 16, 2001, 09:49 PM   #1
bigfoot4

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO SHOOT A HANDGUN WITH BOTH
OF YOUR EYES OPEN AND SIGHT IT CORRECTLY. I HAVE
NOT HAD MUCH LUCK TRYING THIS. IS IT ME OR IS IT
SOMETHING THAT I NEED TO WORK ON. WITH BOTH EYES
OPEN I GET A DOUBLE VISION OF THE SIGHTS AND
BARREL. ( NO I AM NOT DRUNK ) THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

Old March 17, 2001, 01:44 AM   #2
Scooter2

It's all about focus. Not visual, but mental focus. If I force myself, I can see the gun from the other eye, but my mind is use to having both eyes open but concentrating on one eye.
Old March 17, 2001, 06:42 AM   #3
CrowShooter

Your focus is supposed to be on the front sight. It is impossible to have all three items, i.e., rears, front sight, and target, all focused at the same time. Front sight, front sight, front sight................

Rich
Old March 18, 2001, 08:38 PM   #4
Lmccrock

This is the Competition section, so I will ask, what kind of competition? If you are participating in an event where you stand on the line and shoot, then maybe a blinder over your non-dominant eye will work. Well, over your eye protection. The picture from one eye is blocked, but you do not get tired from squeezing that eye shut.

A blinder will not work in a run-and-gun sport like IPSC or IDPA, but it works for me shooting a rifle in Highpower. I practiced with one for handgun leagues, but never used it in that competition. So far, I have used Scooter2's method for handguns: concentrate on the picture from one eye.

Old March 21, 2001, 07:41 AM   #5
41magFan

My wife used to complained to no end that she couldn't keep both eyes open and see the front site while shooting. I told her to gradually close her left eye until her right eye focused totally on the front site, then gradually open it staying focused on the front site. It took several range sessions to get her to focus on the front site and she said that this technique worked for her. New shooters have the tendancy of wanting to see the complete picture, in other words, the target, the space in between and the sights.
Old March 23, 2001, 08:38 AM   #6
M1911

For me it's a function of distance. When I'm close to the target, I can keep both eyes open and have reasonable accuracy.

Once I get to around 50 feet or so, I have to partially or completely close the left eye, otherwise I see two targets.

M1911
Old March 27, 2001, 09:55 PM   #7
bigfoot4

THANKS FOR THE IDEAS AND HELP FROM ALL OF YOU.
I WILL GIVE THEM A TRY. MAYBE SOMEDAY I CAN MASTER
THIS ART OF SHOOTING A HANDGUN WITH ACCURACY.
GLENN
Old March 28, 2001, 09:43 AM   #8
banjobart

Practice always with both eyes open. After a year it will seem natural and the best choice.
Old March 28, 2001, 03:24 PM   #9
Ron Ankeny

Crowshooter:

Focus depends on the game. Most folks agree that there are 4-5 different types of visual focus. A type 5 focus would be used in something like bullseye shooting....front sight, front sight, bang. In IPSC looking at the front sight will kill you on the speed standards.
Old March 30, 2001, 10:57 AM   #10
DRM

If you are ‘right handed’ and ‘wrong eye’ dominant, you will see two sights if you have both eyes ‘wide open’ (which will be the case when it goes bad)…so, when you see two front sights, use the one on the left…

Seriously, it will work and in no time at all you'll have the muscles of the right eye taking over and performing the task without any conscious thought on the matter.

Either do it this way or shoot with on eye closed and forfeit 50% of your down range field of view, your choice.

Yours for better scores,

D.R. Middlebrooks – Director
Tactical Shooting Academy
(www.TacticalShooting.com)
Old April 26, 2001, 02:57 PM   #11
ktm520

I'm right hand strong, left eye dominant. I found that if I quickly blink my right eye as the sights come on target, my left eye will capture the sight picture fairly easily. Once I open both eyes I will see two targets, but if I aim at the left image and concentrate on the front sight, the other one fades out somewhat. I practiced at home frequently, aiming at various targets and distances, and found that I could use this technique on targets from close range to well over 100'.
Old April 26, 2001, 06:43 PM   #12
banjobart

Practice, it will take a year or so before having both eyes open is your natural way to shoot.
Old April 27, 2001, 09:52 AM   #13
ronin308

This is funny because I cannot keep one eye closed, I HAVE to have both eyes open to shoot! lol I've done that ever since I was little