The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 20, 2011, 02:52 PM   #1
jd3020

Remmington 597 Vs Marlin model 60

Ok guys im planning on purchasing a new rimfire rifle and i have been looking around and i have come to find that i like either the marlin model 60 or the remmington 597. I am used to shooting my dads old winchester model 190 that is a tube fed magizine and i like it for the fact that it can hold 16 rounds before i have to reload and i dont have to deal with loading a clip. This makes it nice when you are out in the wood coon hunting and trying to hold a clip a box of shells and load it all at the same time. So with that i lean towards the marlin but on the other hand for just a few bucks more i can get the nice camo stock on the remmington. My other concern is that on these two guns there are no studs for swivel's for a sling which to me is going to have to be a must because being im out in the woods with it i want to throw it on my should when im walking and its not in use. How hard would it be to add these on to the gun and would it be something i could do or would a gun shop have to do it for me. Othen then that i guess this is where you guys come in and give me the advice that i need for making my decison, The ups and downs to both guns etc... any ways i would like to purchse one this week if possiable.
Old February 20, 2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Fusion

I'd get the Marlin 60 hands down between those two. However, that being said, I think the Ruger 10/22 is a better option than both.
Old February 20, 2011, 04:22 PM   #3
L_Killkenny

Old February 20, 2011, 04:28 PM   #4
g.willikers

Since it's a rare shootist that doesn't own at least one .22 rifle, and even more rare to own just one, and even rarer, still, if one of them isn't a Marlin 60.
So, you might as well start there, for now.
They might not be the highest quality .22 rifle in the world, but that's the whole point.
They are a low cost, reliable and accurate every day rifle.
You won't regret getting one.
For starters.
Just make room in the closet for more.
Old February 20, 2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Outdoorsman

I've 3 .22's at the moment, Ruger sporters 77/22 & 10/22, both purchased prior to the advent of heavy barrels & thumbhole stocks on rimfires. Third is a Savage 94 .22 mag that does have the heavy barrel & thumbhole stock in stainless steel. All are good accurate working guns, though the Savage is the most accurate of the 3.

If I were buying now, I'd opt for a Savage 64 with heavy barrel & thumbhole stock. Mostly as I already have the sporter 10/22, so would prefer to add the Savage as something a bit different though a Ruger 10/22 with heavy barrel & thumbhole would be a great choice as well.

Any fairly well made .22 auto is a good small game gun when it comes down to it. Like any other gun buy, just handle both & if possible fire one of each, then buy the one you find is best for YOU.

So you pays your $$ & enjoy your choice.
Old February 20, 2011, 10:56 PM   #6
windshear

I've got a 597. It's quite accurate but heavy, seems bulky, and has a trigger with a very strange feel to it. That said, it comes to shoulder readily and fits me well. The extra weight is probably due to the laminated stock.

It's also unreliable with more than 5 rounds loaded in the magazine. I've tried some newer magazines. I think one can handle 6 rounds without a jam. It'll fire the first 5 or 6 rounds in the magazine with no problem. After that it's a crapshoot. Over at rimfire central, guys beefing about 597 jams were legion at one point. Lately, not so much. Maybe the very latest magazines have fixed the problem. Shoulda bought a 10/22, I guess.

I don't have a Marlin 60, but have been looking at a couple at Walmart. Will probably pick one up this year. Can't decide between stainless and blued at this point.
Bob

Last edited by windshear; February 20, 2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old February 20, 2011, 11:11 PM   #7
dayid

The Marlin Model 60 is as popular as it is for a good reason. I'd choose it (and have, twice).
Old February 21, 2011, 12:11 AM   #8
Buzzcook

If you're going Remington, get the Model 552 Speed Master.

I like the heck out of the Marlin Model 60.
Old February 21, 2011, 05:18 AM   #9
Tim R

Quote:
If you're going Remington, get the Model 552 Speed Master.

I like the heck out of the Marlin Model 60.
+1. I have both the 552 Speed Master and a model 60. The Speed Master is a fine rifle indeed. But like the Speed Master, the model 60 never fails.
Old February 21, 2011, 09:01 AM   #10
okiewita40

Have never owned a Remington rifle of any cal. I have had both a ruger 10/22 and a marlin 60. As far as i am concerned the marlin 60 is the better gun of the two. more accurate out of the box in my hands at least. plus i can get a couple new marlins for the price of a new ruger.
Old February 21, 2011, 09:06 AM   #11
cecILL

Marlin, slings and mounts are easy to find and install.
Old February 21, 2011, 10:38 AM   #12
Technosavant

I have a couple 597s, and I'd say that it sounds like you're leaning toward the Marlin, and that probably isn't a bad thing.

The 597 can be a great rifle, it can be a mediocre one. They're usually very accurate and shoulder well, but even those who really like the platform have to admit that the overall quality of the line has been iffy at best. Some have been great, some have been nothing but trouble.

The Marlin is a better proven design. If you're interested in a detachable magazine rifle, you might also want to look at the Ruger 10/22 or some of the other Marlins, but I think you'll be happy with the Marlin 60.
Old February 21, 2011, 11:03 AM   #13
jmortimer

Not mentioned but worth consideration is the Marlin 795 - I have two and they are (I believe) the least expensive Made in USA semi-auto .22 LRs. I like the "traditional" detachable magazine and the fact that it always goes bang. Best gun for the $$$.
Old February 21, 2011, 11:26 AM   #14
IDAHO83501

No 597

If you don't want a 10/22 Ruger for some weird reason,,,,I'd get the Marlin 60. A friend of mine purchased a new 597 about 4 years ago. It was hard to belive that Remington made such a bad example of a .22lr semi auto rifle. After about 6 months the finish looked terrible, it would not feed without jamming (yes it was cleaned over and over again). Resale value was terrible so many others must know about the quality issues as well. All of this because he wanted something " different " than a Ruger 10/22. Bad decision !
Old February 21, 2011, 12:00 PM   #15
mpd61

owned 10/22 and Marlin 60 both. The Remington doesn't impress.....

MARLIN 60
Old February 21, 2011, 04:00 PM   #16
Don P

I would stay away from Marlin. I have a 795 and it is AMMO SENSITIVE. Next is the breech block. The left side of the block looks like it had sat out in the weather for a few years( severe galling) before becoming a breech block. On my rifle I truly cannot understand how it made it past QC. The person that installed the extractors and firing pin HAD to see the galling and if that person missed it the person that assembled the rifle should have seen it.
Customer service is soooo busy every time I call I get to listen to music and recording telling me it is a high volume call period. Only got off 3 rounds on Saturday and the finish that is worn off the inside of the receiver where the galling is, is pathetic.
This is truly a "I wish I never purchased it" gun. As they say hind sight is always 20-20
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 21, 2011, 04:33 PM   #17
sneasle

My thoughts...

I own a Rem 597 and am currently building a 10/22 custom. I do not own a Marlin 60, nor can I remember ever shooting them.

Take my opinions with a grain of salt, I'm only recently coming back into shooting after a 15 year break or so.

My 597 has been a great little gun. Had it for 2 months now and put about 1000rds through it of high and low end ammo, have only had one FTF (bulk federal), and that round fired on the second cycle. Never had a feed failure, FTE, or any other issues. It shoots well, breaks down to clear easily, and it fairly simple. I like it a lot. Mine is the 'standard' blue barrel with grey synth stock. The guys at RFC heavily factored in to my purchasing of this. I have not make any modifications to it, although I will swap out the hammer in the near future, just cause I can.

One brand I want to recommend that hasn't been mentioned is CZ. Not on your list and not a very common brand and a bit more expensive then the 'cheap' .22's, but they are very accurate shooters and have a very devoted following, especially on rimfirecentral. They also have some of the nicest wood I've seen on factory stocks and their customer service is hard to beat. I just bouth 2x 452's sight unseen from Whittakers (in Kentucky) just because of the reputation that these rifles have. Whittakers is also great to deal with.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-ca...imfire-rifles/

Take a look at their offerings. They all come highly recommended, but I think the 452 is a bit more popular and can be had for ~$380 shipped to your FFL, which is about on par with the 'target' versions of both Ruger and Rem .22 offerings that have a nice wood stock. I bought 2x 452's, one in the American style and one Varmit style and I've got to say they are really easy on the eyes. I would not hesitate to take either one in the woods. They are some of the most accurate out of the box, dime sized groups at 25yards on cheap ammo, quarter sized groups at 100yards with good ammo, no modifications necessary.

One thing to note, these are bolt actions. They do make a SA, but I have no experience with it, although it is of the same build quality of every other offering CZ has.

In regard to 10/22's, I haven't shot one yet. I bought the 597 over the 10/22 as I wanted an out of the box shooter, and haven't regretted it. I'm building the 10/22 as a custom from the ground up for the fun of it. There are so many upgrade options out there you can create something truely unique, but it's neither cheap nor will it result in something I would take hunting, it will be a bench queen.

Just a little more to think on. I highly recommend checking out rimfirecentral, great group of guys that are really knowledgeable about these things.
Old February 21, 2011, 10:35 PM   #18
MEATSAW

I've got a Model 60SB. What a fantastic rifle. Never had a problem with feeding or extraction, and the thing is more accurate than I am. I put a tasco 3-9x40 scope on it. A good friend owns a Rem. 597. Great rifle and accurate as well when it shoots. With the small 10-round magazine that came with the rifle it shoots with no problems for the first 6-8 rounds. The last few tend to jam. He bought 2 brand new (i think they were advertised as generation 3) 30-round polymer magazines and has had nothing but trouble.

It seems that magazine fed rimfires tend to have more problems. Sure it takes me quite longer to reload with my model 60 and its tubular magazine, but I would rather take the longer reload time than have a rifle that I never know will work right.
Old February 21, 2011, 10:55 PM   #19
MemphisJim

I have no experience with Marlin 60s. I have a Winchester 290 (same as the 190 with fancier furniture) that was a gift from Dad when I returned from Vietnam in '68. And I now have four (4) Remington 597s. Two are .22LR (one heavy barrel, target stock, scoped; one basic syn stock sport barrel and scope for field use); two are .22WMR (one heavy barrel, target stock, scoped; one syn stock sport barrel with scope). All four are great shooters and totally reliable. Their springs are a little more challenging to work with on reassembly than is the Winchester. However, trigger pull on the 597s is a whole lot lighter than the 290. The HB .22LR is stainless, the others are basic black. I've had no issues with fit or finish on any of them. Each now has had many rounds through (thousands on the LRs; hundreds through the WMRs) them with the usual occasional FTF common to rimfire ammo. Virtually all of my shooting is at the range, most often from benchrest, and I'd rate accuracy for all four as between great to oustanding. To date, I've yet to lose an informal match to anyone shooting a 10/22, a Marlin 60 or anything else comparable in our "Hey, let's see what you can do with it" matches. I'm quite happy with mine.
Old February 21, 2011, 11:17 PM   #20
ELMOUSMC

I have a Marlin M60 that has had at least 25,000 rds put through it between me my sons and grandchildren.I can't remember it ever giving any problems of any kind.both of my sons used it for Coon hunting and also my 1 grandson. for the money I don't think you can go wrong with the Marlin.

Leatherneck
Old February 22, 2011, 12:43 AM   #21
Ifishsum

They are both good rifles IMO. I owned a md 60 for years as a youth and pretty much wore it out (it has retired to the barn where my brother still uses it on occasion). That said I really like the Remington 597, the way it feels and handles, plus the open sights are WAY better than most .22s get. I liked the first one so much I bought 2 more, one with the heavy barrel and laminated stock. The magazines can be a little finicky at first, at least the early models can - but mine have given me no trouble since I tuned them up. All of the 597s (and the Marlin 60) shoot more accurately than that other really popular .22 rifle in my experience.
Old February 22, 2011, 01:58 PM   #22
tAKticool

Here's the deal on the 597. For around $100 (less really) you have a rifle that can easily be better than the 10/22 the 60 and most if Not all other competitors. It just absolutely needs the Volquartsen Edge Extractor ($19.99) and really really should have their Target Hanmer ($39.99). From there you add sling studs and say a military contract silent sling (lets say $40 for all sling related stuff ) and you have a rifle that is awesome !

It's my understanding that the 597 has always been known as an awesome action , and also despite the fact that it can be had with better barrels , the way it was put to me was " Remington had spent their money on barrels on the 597" ie even my lowest qual on totem poll sportier barrel is still awesome.

When i tried mine out having had the extractor , hammer , and also sling installed , it was just amazing. The rifle fires through magazines with ease and snipes numbers on targets with more ease. I feel like when I can add a Harris bipod I will have a sniper rifle... A .22lr version of a sr-25! ( joking of course ). I added a nikon prostaff 4-12x40 which i feel is the perfect compromise of quality price and size/strength.

So I know the 10/22 is immensely popular - I didn't want that. And the Marlin is a little too old school for me , the Rem 597 not only felt immediately right it also balanced just right on the scales of old school and most popular etc.

Not everyone will want to do upgrades and replace a scope when it came with a scope , and not everyone will see it my way. And I'm sure there are some rifles better than mine. Not for $300 I doubt. And if I add a 300 barrel ( which I would do more because I like the way it looks than wanting a super Perfomance , I just dug the Volquartsen barrel insW ) I'd be dmn near unstoppable outside those aunshutz etc rifles.

Just my perspective plz don't think im saying I'm 100% right.
Old February 22, 2011, 04:01 PM   #23
Sballard

Marlin
Old February 22, 2011, 05:47 PM   #24
jd3020

i think im leaning towards the marlin. I did happen to stop by and look and feel the remington 597 and it felt good but it was a little bulky for me being im a small framed guy. But i think after listening to every one on the 597 say they work better when you put the new parts in it i just dont see spending 177 on the gun plus tax and then having to turn around and spend another 50 or more to make it so it wont jam. I know marlin has been around for a while and im used to the old tube magazine from my dads old winchester 190 and i like being able to put 15 rounds in and not have to worry about loading a clip every five shots. Plus i like the fact that there wont be a clip digging into my back while im carrying it through the woods. What i did like about the 597 was the camo stock, but after talking with the guy at the gun counter i found out that the marlin was avaliable in the camo stock with a blued barrell. So i think this is going to be my decision with the marlin even tho maybe later on down the line i might decide to go with a 597.
Old February 23, 2011, 01:07 AM   #25
Jseime

I've owned and shot the heck out of both.

The Remington 597 was a gun I purchased about 7 or so years ago, never worked right with the new or the old magazines and then this year when the accuracy went all to heck I found that I had a broken reciever. Overall very
accurate but crap. A couple of friends of mine bought the 597 and had bad experiences as well.

I went and bought a Marlin 60 this spring and with very minimal work and about $0.03 worth of epoxy on a trigger job and a cheap scope it is a seriously accurate little rig. Never EVER EVER jams, eats any kind of ammunition you feed it and hits the mark.

Hands down Marlin.

Tags
22lr , 597 , remington