The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old May 17, 2014, 05:27 AM   #1
s3779m

saving threads

Every once in a while there is some really good information from a thread that I would like to save onto the computer. I have tried saving a thread on "open office" by "file as is" but it does not save it in a readable manner. I can cut and paste on threads that are small but there have been several which are pages long and I would like to save the whole thread. I do use the search feature, but that usually will involve going threw (wrong "threw" just not sure which one to use here) several threads to find the right information. I have been fortunate to have had several questions answered on tfl so I am going to the well again. thanks.
Old May 17, 2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Evan Thomas

What I do is just bookmark the thread -- then I can easily go back to it.

At least in Firefox, you can do Edit > Select All > Copy for each page -- and then paste as text into a Word or Open Office document. Not too labor-intensive, and few threads run more than 5-6 pages.

As far as I'm aware, there's no way to download an entire thread, but I've been wrong before.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:15 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Like Vanya, I think the best method is to save the URL as a bookmark which you can rename to anything you like. That way you will also get any updates to the thread when you look at it at a future date.

However, if you want to save a thread to a file, it isn't overly difficult. With the thread on page 1 (if there are multiple pages), open the "Thread Tools" menu just above the first post. Select "Show Printable Version". If there are more than 25 posts in the thread, I would also click on the link "Show 100 post(s) from this thread on one page". Then simply print the file using your normal print function (usually Ctrl + p). When the print window pops up, select "Print to file". Follow your operating systems instructions to name the file and place it where you want it. You may have to print it to several different files if it is a long thread, then merge them using a word processing application (e.g., Notepad, Word, etc.)
Old May 17, 2014, 01:37 PM   #4
Evan Thomas

And there's me, learning something new again...
Old May 17, 2014, 07:03 PM   #5
s3779m

thanks, I knew someone would know how.