The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2012, 11:57 PM   #1
jeffreyulatan

My 45 ACP, jams up Glocks.

I have a weird problem. My 45 ACP that I load seem to always jam up Glock 21s. However they work flawlessly on my 1911.

What happens is when I load a round into the chamber and fire, the second round would somehow not fully go inside the barrel. Which causes the glock to malfunction. Only way to remedy this is to push the barrel forward to fully chamber the round.

Could this be caused by a light load? I'm currently loading these rounds with 5.2-5.4gr of Winchester 231. The bullet is a 220gr Lead Flat Point.

However on my 1911 it feeds, and shoot properly.
Old October 23, 2012, 12:16 AM   #2
joneb

The COL maybe to long. Drop a sized case into the Glock's barrel the case should be head spacing properly in the chamber, and the case head should be just below the barrel hood. The loaded round's case head should be in the same relationship to the barrel hood. If not reduce the COL and the powder charge.
Old October 23, 2012, 12:31 AM   #3
jeffreyulatan

Thanks, my COL for my 45s are 1.265 Is that too long or too short?
Old October 23, 2012, 12:42 AM   #4
hk33ka1

The COAL will depend on the shape of the bullet.

I had a .45 230gr RN plated that had to be seated shorter than a 230gr FMJ to chamber in my 1911 but it worked fine in Glock 21 go figure. Same problem as yours it would not fully chamber/ go into battery. For argument sake I think the FMJ was fine at 1.25" and I had to seat the plated RN to 1.20" to chamber in all my .45s.

The shape of the ogive (part of bullet nose fat enough to touch rifling) is different from brand to brand or part# of otherwise similar bullets and can require different seating depth.
Old October 23, 2012, 01:00 AM   #5
joneb

Quote:
my COL for my 45s are 1.265 Is that too long or too short?
Did post #2 make sense ?
It is important that you understand it.
My guess is 1.265" is to long for your gun's chamber with that bullet.
Other factors could be at play here, but the COL seems the most likely.
Do you have a reloading manual ? Many of these provide information that will help.
Old October 23, 2012, 05:00 AM   #6
jeffreyulatan

Oh sorry for the confusion, I do not own a Glock 21, but when I was at the range the other day I was lucky enough to have been loaned one. That glock 21 really does not my like my reloads.

Anways here's the projectile I'm using. It's a 220gr Flat point lead bullet, unsure what COA I should use for a glock 21, or why it doesn't feed correctly in a glock.

Old October 23, 2012, 06:46 AM   #7
robfromga

Don't shoot non jacket cartridges in a Glock.
Old October 23, 2012, 09:16 AM   #8
Don P

Quote:
Don't shoot non jacket cartridges in a Glock.
Here we go with the don't shoot lead. Has absolutely nothing to do with the issue the OP is asking.

Quote:
That glock 21 really does not my like my reloads.

Anways here's the projectile I'm using. It's a 220gr Flat point lead bullet, unsure what COA I should use for a glock 21, or why it doesn't feed correctly in a glock
Just my opinion now, you need to read up on OAL (over all length). It is very possible that the round is seating in the chamber of the Glock on the bullet instead of the case. My 1911's will not chamber a round with a OAl of 1.265. That is long in MY OPINION. My 1911's will chamber a max of 1.255. Not all chambers are created equal.

Again you need to do more reading on reloading and OAL and the effect it has on feeding and chambering a round.

For the (don't shoot lead in Glocks folks) I have shot lead in my Glocks at steel matches with round counts over 200 rounds and the guns didn't blow up and had zero issues.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 24, 2012, 06:40 AM   #9
robfromga

To the guy with 5 posts that hands off his reloads to another guy at the range and can't get them to run...it means a lot. Thanks for the friendly attitude Brah. Wow, 200 rounds ? That's incredible! Tell us more.
Old October 24, 2012, 07:53 AM   #10
MrJog

I'm going to have to agree with Don on this. Unless Rob is trying to say that the extra .001" doesn't work well with glocks, then he is straying from the topic. But I don't think that is what Rob means. And if you are going to go to the trouble of posting advice like that, you should also include that, many people feel this way about Glocks because of the polygonal rifling. Although it is more common to see that sort of rifling in a Glock (all the factory barrels I have seen were polygonal), it could exist elsewhere. Also it might help to portray yourself as someone who is interested in helping.

Anyway, I believe Don has it right with the OAL. And the guy's glock is going to be fine after shooting those rounds. I would do a little extre bore cleaning after shooting it though if it were mine.
Old October 24, 2012, 08:18 AM   #11
Edward429451

They're too long. I did the same thing when I still owned a G21. The glock would choke on them, the 1911 would eat them up. I had to wind up seating them to 1.190 to get them to run in the G21. I was using a 225 gr LFP.
Old October 24, 2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Valerko

I had a same problem in my G35. Turned out they were too short.
Same FP lead bullets.
Somehow my seating die got turned one turn or so and bullet edge where it tapers to FP was align with end of the brass. It was actually end of the case that got stuck on feed ramp. Thankfully it was only about 50 rounds I've loaded like that. Went back to shop , made adjustments and everything is back to normal

BTW: I'm using LW barrel
Old October 24, 2012, 04:10 PM   #13
grumpa72

Your powder charge is right in the ballpark but why not try loading some dummy rounds without primers or powder and just seat the bullet at varying lengths, starting with your current length and decreasing it in .05" increments. Load up three or four of each and try to feed them from the magazine by racking the slide. Once you find a length that your pistol likes, then play with the length in .02" increments until you find the perfect length. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Once you finish make sure and break those dummy rounds down.

And have you tried the drop test yet - dropping a loaded round into the barrel, after you remove it from your Glock of course, and see if it falls into the barrel freely?
Old October 24, 2012, 04:44 PM   #14
nmbrinkman

Old October 25, 2012, 04:12 AM   #15
jeffreyulatan

Thanks for the information guys, I managed to fix the problem by reseating my bullets to 1.230 and it works great in my friends G21.

Since I do not own a G21 I had no reason to reduce my standard OAL of 1.260 to 1.230, however it looks like both the G21 and 1911 like 1.230
Old October 25, 2012, 11:28 AM   #16
nmbrinkman

That's weird. I mic'd my factory Winchester .45's and they're at 1.266" and my G21 works fine with them.
Old October 25, 2012, 04:20 PM   #17
Gerry

nmbrinkman, I doubt his bullets have the exact same ogive profile as your factory Winchester .45's. Why would they?
Old October 25, 2012, 05:23 PM   #18
nmbrinkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
nmbrinkman, I doubt his bullets have the exact same ogive profile as your factory Winchester .45's. Why would they?
You're right. I just re-read and noticed they were flat point lead bullets. For some reason I was imagining RN.