The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 10, 2010, 11:39 PM   #1
jdscholer

Hunting and Fishing Times/Tables

These days we all have access to various hunting and fishing tables in our magazines, newspapers, GPS's, that tell us the best days and times to hunt and fish.

I'd like to know what y'all think of these things; do they work or are they a crock? Anyone got any real scientific knowledge of them?

I've gotta say that today I went coyote calling at a new spot on a private ranch. The place has been unmolested by other hunters, has a good population of coyotes, bobcats, and cougars, and everything looked great. The conditions were excellent, and I used proven methods that usually work for me. Results; zip, zero, zilch, nada. After I finally threw in the towel, I looked at the hunt/fish screen on my GPS, and sure enough POOR DAY.

I don't know if I'm a believer yet, but--- I'd like some more opinions. jd
Old January 11, 2010, 01:16 AM   #2
reloader28

I haven't went by my GPS, but around here anyway, I've found that on a full moon or no moon the fish dont bite near as good as the rest of the time. Coinsedense or not I dont know, but I've checked for the last 5 years.

As far as hunting ,I dont know as I have not paid attention cause we have a short season.
Old January 11, 2010, 01:40 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I think that to some extent, the capacity to forecast based on the moon phase is there... But I think that it cannot possibly cover very many species... For instance, I feel that the reason predators find one phase good for night activity is the same reason prey animals would be put off to night activity.

Animals that may be equally active day or night can use the moon phase to their advantage but other species that are only diurnal or nocturnal will not be quite as influenced by moon phase IMHO...

If the tables also take in almanac history of weather pattern averages, I feel the table would be HOOEY as those are likely highly inaccurate.

But what do I know? I am just an uneducated redneck simpleton
Brent
Old January 11, 2010, 03:23 AM   #4

I think those tables are more accurate for fishing than they are for hunting.
Old January 11, 2010, 08:55 AM   #5
CajunBass

There is something to them. They do use the moon phases and such basically the same way they're used to predicte the tides. The same forces that pull on the oceans, pull on every living thing (we're all mostly water after all).

When I was a kid, my grandfather used say there was no sense going fishing if the cows were laying down. I always thought he was full of used beeswax and simply wanted to keep me working, but over the years I've come to realize that he was right. When fishing tidal water, especially, I've noticed that when the entire world was "dead" the fishing would be dead also. No bugs, no turtles, no snakes, nothing moves.

Then suddenly, as if someone threw a switch, everything it seemed would come to life. Bugs started to fly and hum. Birds did the same. Turtles and snakes become active. Baitfish would start to move, and predator fish would respond. And yes, cows would get up and start to feed. Those times seemed to more or less corrospond to the tides, even when fishing inland waters, but not always.

The tables serve as a guideline, but they're not cast in stone. Local conditions will affect them, like weather, hunting or fishing pressure, boat traffic and such, but it's something else you CAN look at.

Personally I've always found the best time to go hunting or fishing is when I can.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 11, 2010, 12:06 PM   #6
Wild Bill Bucks

I think the reason they work on fish better than game, is because, underwater, is a more consistent environment. To many quick changes, in temperature, weather, ect.

I fish for mainly big fish, and have noticed a definite increase in feeding among fish during the first three days before the full moon, with definite drop offs in feeding, on, and after the full moon.

The first three days before the full moon seems to work better in the months, April through October also, and are generally better after dark. I do a lot of night fishing as there is less pressure on the lakes.

I have noticed very little difference in the movement of game animals during the span of the moon, but as stated before, this could have a lot to do with changing weather conditions, and hunting pressure at the time.

Deer might move a great deal better, during the moon phases, when there isn't 100,000,000 hunters in the woods with them.

Last edited by Wild Bill Bucks; January 11, 2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: God I wish I could spell !!!
Old January 11, 2010, 01:38 PM   #7
davlandrum

I always try and line up an elk bow hunt with no moon. My theory is they will not feed as much at night, and will therefore be more active in the day.

The problem with my theory is 1) I am a lousy elk hunter , and 2) the days I can go hunt are the days I can go hunt - I don't have enough flexibility to really try and time things...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old January 11, 2010, 08:48 PM   #8
Pat T

I have a friend who is an avid bow hunter for whitetails here in PA, and he is convinced of the effectiveness of watching the moon phase. In a nutshell he says if the moon is up, the deer are up. He's stayed on the stand during wet crappy weather because he knew in an hour or so the moon would be rising and activity would pick up, and it's paid off for him. Probably nowhere near as important during rifle season when they are all spooked after the first couple hours of the first morning, but there are those who will testify to the veracity of this...
Old January 11, 2010, 09:29 PM   #9
jdscholer

On my GPS, any given day will be listed as poor, average, good, or excellent. Also listed for any day, is the best time, which is about two hours; one best time in the AM, and one in the PM. THEN it lists a good time, which is only one hour long, and about six hours after the best time.

I don't know the science behind these times, or how they correspond to the moon or sun. I have on several occasions checked the GPS after we have been successful. (usually fishing, but a few times hunting) The successes have often happened within or close to the times listed as excellent; coincidence or---

I suppose to find out for sure, a guy would have to keep a journal. Anybody done it? I may be too lazy. jd