The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 1999, 10:59 PM   #1
bner21

I am trying to get started in waterfowl hunting. I have a 12 gauge Winchester ranger model 120, but it has a high gloss finish on the barrel. And since I have seen a lot of duck hunters dressed in camo, I didn't really think that would be an appropriate shotgun. I would like to get a shotgun that would be good for both goose and duck hunting. I was thinking a Remington 870 express but I was quite sure and I wanted some other opinions before I made my purchase. Also, I thik my budget leans more towards a pump action than a semi-auto. Thanks in advance.
Old December 27, 1999, 12:07 AM   #2
TheOtherMikey

You can get a camo cover for your shotgun. I have seen them advertised in some of the mail-order catalogs. Contact them and see what you can get. No sense of getting rid of a perfectly good shotgun just to get a camo type paint-job.
Remember, camo type paint jobs are there to lure the hunter rather than the hunted. It works just like fishing lures.
Keep what works for you and adjust to meet conditions. If you shoot in a blind, what do you care if your shotgun is camo'd? Once the shooting starts, the waterfoul are hauling ass away from the guns. camo or otherwise.
Keep your head, and don't worry about getting the newest and the best. The time proven models are the ones to stand by.
Mikey has spoken!
Old December 27, 1999, 06:49 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'm a stout supporter of the 870, but the other guy had a point. There's ways to camo that bbl, including the camo tape from Hunter's Specialties. Goes on and comes off easily.

The gun chaps stuff looks clumsy to me, but some folks like them.

One thing, there's been a passel of waterfowl taken with uncamoed shotguns. Maybe it's not as important as we think...
Old December 27, 1999, 02:57 PM   #4
gfrey

Hi,
I too recently started in waterfowl hunting... I bought a used selfloader that takes 12ga 3".
I was offered the wood stock and foregrip, or the synthetic stock and foregrip. I took the synthetic, and I have taken several geese.
Maybe you should look into this change for your shotgun, stock/foregrip is lots cheaper than another gun.
(HINT:Lack of movement will get waterfowl closer to you than a camo gun.)

FWIW
Ger