The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2009, 03:22 PM   #1
tpcollins

.40 S&W and 10mm - same bullet?

The specs in my Nosler guide shows the same .400 dia bullet for both .40 S&W and 10mm. I just bought 10mm bullets (first time) I assume these will work for my .40 S&W.

And as far as the Lee pistol dies, they indicate one set for .40 S&W-10mm so I assume the only adjustment is for the length of the case? CAn you tell I've never reloaded for my .40 S&W ?
Old March 27, 2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Shoney

Yes, they are the same diameter. Yes, you can use them in the 40SW.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 27, 2009, 03:27 PM   #3
ShootingNut

tp,
Ya I can tell, but that's O.K., learning has to start somewhere. And, when it comes to reloading, I don't know if you ever can say you know everything. I sure don't I know that much.
But, the answer is yes to your question, one in the same bullet. And as you said, the cartridge length is the difference.
Stay with it and keep studying, it is fun but just keep it safe!
Regards,
SN
Old March 28, 2009, 12:25 AM   #4
Sport45

For punching holes in paper they'll be fine.

I don't know about the .40/10mm, but in .38/.357 there are different bullets in the same weight for each when you get into hunting and SD. A .357mag bullet can be too tough to expand at .38 velocities. Similarly, a .38 bullet can come apart on impact when driven to .357mag velocity.
Old March 28, 2009, 02:29 AM   #5
troy_mclure

the recoil can be pretty heavy too if using the heavier(>180gr) 10mm bullets in a .40s&w.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 28, 2009, 07:56 AM   #6
Dragon55

Ditto... on the recoil

I just shot 100 rounds of 200gr. More recoil but surprisingly pretty groups at 15 yds. I guess because I was choking the grip so hard for the last 90.