The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 6, 2012, 10:38 AM   #1
SIMP

Wanting a larger caliber

I've got a like new Baretta Neos 4.5" Blued pistol that I'm considering trading in for a larger caliber pistol. I have no idea what the shop will offer me but I'm wanting a larger caliber pistol. I jumped the gun on the Baretta and made an impulse buy as opposed to thinking it out. Anyway, I have no idea what they'll offer me for the pistol but I feel sure they'd trade me for a new Hi-Point C9.

I've go this little angel on my shoulder telling me to hang on to the Baretta as it's a better quality firearm and on the other shoulder, there's that little devil telling me to trade for the C9. Which one should I listen to and which one should I thump off my shoulder?
Old November 6, 2012, 10:43 AM   #2
jimbob86

Hang onto the Berretta.

If you REALLY want the Hi-Point, save, scrimp, sell plasma, yard sale, whatever ..... do not trade away a perfectly good gun for a gun of unknown value.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:47 AM   #3
aarondhgraham

I'm with JimBob,,,

Keep the Beretta for two reasons:
  • You will probably not get very much in trade-in for it.
  • Even when you have a centerfire you still need a .22 for cheap plinking.

You have already spent the money for the Beretta,,,
It costs you nothing more to have it live somewhere in your home.

But it's your gun so do whatever works for you.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 6, 2012, 12:12 PM   #4
SIMP

Yeah, agreed, bye bye little devil. I'm going to hang onto my Neos. I think I'll wait and save a little more $ then buy a 9mm I really want.
Old November 6, 2012, 01:38 PM   #5
bitttorrrent

I have the Hi-Point c9 and am actually going to buy the Neos 6" soon. Funny, if we were across the street we could trade.

I have a number of .22's, but I want the Baretta so I can mount some red dots I have on top. I can't easily with my other .22s.

But I do recommend the C9. It is very reliable and accurate and shoots everything I have put into it. The only thing I want to change is the trigger on it, it is plastic and I just don't like it. There is an aluminum one that can be dropped in, so I will be doing that mod soon, but I think it is a great gun for the price.

And yes, don't sell the Neos.
Old November 6, 2012, 06:41 PM   #6
BigJimP

Selling guns you really like ....is a bad deal down the road....

There will always be something different or new - that you might want. But when you have a gun you really like in a caliber like a .22......then it'll make the next decision easier / and less reactionary probably. Kind of like don't go grocery shopping when you're hungry - you pick up all kinds of crap you didn't really want or intend to buy....
Old November 6, 2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Ozzieman

Keep your Neos and forget the Hi point.
A good value product for a 9mm is the Stoeger Cougar.
It was an original Beretta built gun that Stoeger purchased the manufacturing equipment and has been building then for many years.
The Cougar is similar to the 93 in controls and grip size. I have a Beretta that has over 5000 rounds and it’s been flawless

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...ger-cougar.php

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 6, 2012, 07:18 PM   #8
PeeShooter2

I regret every gun I have given up; keep the Beretta .

Old November 7, 2012, 03:46 PM   #9
SIMP

Well, I now have my eye on a Ruger P95 Stainless at a local shop. I think that's the one......
Old November 7, 2012, 08:58 PM   #10
SIMP

I've been reading a bunch about these guns and watching video reviews. Seem a great bang for the buck.

Do you recommend stainless over blued?
Old November 7, 2012, 09:24 PM   #11
geetarman

Buy what you want, keep what you have. You will lose large trying to trade that gun off.

Keep it. You can thank me later

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 7, 2012, 09:53 PM   #12
Nathan

I'm guessing there is some kind of priority's issue going on here. You have a Beretta NEOS 22. Good choice.

You feel you need/want a larger caliber handgun, possibly for SD, or just to have.

Let me suggest somethings you likely have which could be modified to create gun money.
- rent
- car
- cable TV
- Cell phone
- video games
- clothes

I have all of those items in my budget, but I have modified them to keep me in the guns I want/need. I have a car. The guy who sits 2 seats down from me a work drives a newer Honda Accord. I drive a 2003 Honda Element. Likely 1/2 the payment.

Rent. . .I lived in the cheapest apartment in my area when I first lived in an apartment. . .Saved me $100 - $300 per month.

I could go down the list, but you get the picture.

About the Beretta. . .IMO, you probably get alot of trigger time due to ammo cost. It would be a shame to lose that practice.

About a larger gun. As you get things inline, think about what you really want and need. I personally didn't like the HiPoint idea because I spend $15 - $25 per 50 rounds of ammo. I would rather shoot less and step the gun up to something like a used police trade model 10 38 spcl $250 or a used beat looking Glock 9mm or 40 s&w for $350.
Old November 7, 2012, 11:49 PM   #13
Misssissippi Dave

If you like the looks of the stainless better than go with that one. Stainless compared to carbon steel, normally the stainless will add a few oz to the over all weight. I don't think one is going to shoot better than the other. For concealed carry I prefer all black pistols. Less light reflection day or night.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:01 PM   #14
ET.

I regret every gun I've given up...I regret not giving up my Hi-Point C9.
Old November 14, 2012, 06:03 PM   #15
SIMP

Well, I bought an Uncle Mike's Sidekick Holster for my Ruger P95 and it seems a tad too small. Anyone else tried a size 15 Uncle Mike with their P95? Thinking I need a bigger one but I'm not real sure.
Old November 14, 2012, 06:24 PM   #16
lee n. field

Quote:
Anyone else tried a size 15 Uncle Mike with their P95? Thinking I need a bigger one but I'm not real sure.
The Uncle Mike's Sidekick is a pretty generic holster ('3 1/2" - 4 1/2" barrel large autos, open ends'). I'd try to find something fitted to the P95. Uncle Mike's kydex might be a good bet, on the inexpensive end. Szie 16, for "Ruger P93, P94, P95, P97". Or Fobus.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; November 14, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old November 14, 2012, 11:25 PM   #17
SIMP

How does this look to you? Too small for the P95? To be honest, I'm sure what a "proper" fit is. Thanks.
Old November 15, 2012, 08:28 PM   #18
Misssissippi Dave

The trigger guard should fit inside the holster. This is to protect the trigger from being fired by accident. I would say by the picture you do need a larger holster. With those type of holsters the rear sight is also covered.
Old November 16, 2012, 05:44 PM   #19
SIMP

Thank you Dave. Gonna check out Van's as they have a bunch to choose from.