The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 7, 2008, 02:50 PM   #1
moonpie312

Laws with black powder.

does anybody have a website or something that i can read up on the laws of carry with black powder?
Old August 7, 2008, 03:01 PM   #2
playtheblues

Not sure what you are looking for, and each state would be different. As for federal law, even felons can possess BP firearms, with the exception of in line rifles.
BB in SC
Old August 7, 2008, 09:38 PM   #3
moonpie312

well i live in texas and ive heard that its perfectly legal to carry BP in plain sight, in the vehicle, on person, just not in any government buildings. is somebody lying to me?
Old August 7, 2008, 09:42 PM   #4
mykeal

Call your local county prosecutor or police/sheriff's office.
Old August 7, 2008, 09:45 PM   #5
moonpie312

good thinking
Old August 8, 2008, 01:35 AM   #6
Shotgun Willy

Definitely check with the Powers-That-Be, and get it in writing.
Old August 8, 2008, 07:36 AM   #7
Jim Watson

While a cap & ball revolver, say, is not covered by federal laws like a breechloader, carrying one to "go armed" would probably be considered no different from a magnum.

I am not a lawyer, but neither is the cop on the beat.
He sees you wearing a gun, he is going to want to see a license or he may well run you in.
Old August 8, 2008, 09:18 AM   #8
Deadguy

Most laws on the subject say "weapons", that would include cap n ball revolvers, just as it includes knives and standard firearms.
Old August 8, 2008, 09:27 AM   #9
Hawg

Just because a bp weapon is declared a non gun by the BATF doesn't make it a non gun by local laws.
Old August 8, 2008, 12:17 PM   #10
mike6975

i live in va. and people can carry firearms unconcealed in most places(excluding restaruants,bars and were it's posted)all the time, but it's nothing unusual for me to be at a grocery store with my two youngins and see someone in plain sight carrying a pistol and not look twice at them.as far as ccw how do we really know they have one unless it's blatently obvious or were lookin at them really close like and then what does that say about us?.
Old August 8, 2008, 06:31 PM   #11
samsmix

And, while I hate to be a party pooper (Hey, I carried a '51 brass framed .44 while delivering pizzas in a bad neighborhood; it was all I owned at the time.), someone is going to say the following, 'cuz we're all thinkin' it: WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO?

I know this is the BP & CAS page, but you can get a decent Com-bloc service pistol for less than $200. Why bet your life on nearly 200-year-old technology?

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old August 8, 2008, 07:01 PM   #12
mike6975

i won't flame you but with the newer guns(bp)we can put a conversion cylinder in one,chop the barrel if need be and have fast draw rigs that will rival anything to date.all in all it boils down to we are bp nuts(me at least)and carry one because we want not because we have to.thanks for opinion i appreciate you askin us.

mike

"never trust somethin that bleeds for seven days and doesn't die"
Old August 8, 2008, 07:03 PM   #13
mike6975

hey did you notice we have the exact same join dates only two years apart?

W....E.....I.....R.....D

MIKE
Old August 8, 2008, 08:21 PM   #14
Gunruner

Black Powder C&B arms carried for protection are reguarded by most municipalities the same as cartridge firearms, for legal purposes. I'd feel very confident with a .45 Cap N Ball for defense as they are accurate in the extreme and I'm excellent with a single action. That's what I carry when I go into the woods/desert and I shoot mine alot.
P.S. 2 legged varmints are the easiest to protect yourself from. Shoot them in the face. Fight over. A .31 round ball should be sufficient..........MIke
Old August 8, 2008, 08:43 PM   #15
Raider2000

As far as needing to carry a C&B Revolver for self defence against maybe a 2 legged predetor, NO but wanting to cary one of mine out into the woods for maybe a 4 legged creature, Yes

You'd be supprised as to what a .44 caliber C&B Revolver can do in the right hands & will be reliable for the first 5-6 shots too.
Old August 8, 2008, 09:24 PM   #16
moonpie312

well frankly its not that its all i have or anything its just because i like black powder. theres nothing better than a western holster with sixgun in it. im seriously thinking about moving to an open carry state.
Old August 8, 2008, 09:42 PM   #17
mykeal

You should carry the gun you are most proficient with, and you should practice both accurate shooting AND safe handling techniques with that gun regularly.

If that happens to be a cap and ball percussion revolver, then so be it. You're much better off with a gun that you know well and can shoot accurately than something you only shoot once a month or less.
Old August 9, 2008, 10:25 PM   #18
moonpie312

well mostly im shooting my dads Ruger Old Army. and i absolutely love it. just bp all around is great. the big cloud of smoke and the smell like none other. if texas was open carry, you bet your boots i would have that old army strapped on my thigh. i can hit good with it.
Old August 10, 2008, 10:06 PM   #19
Gbro

Quote:
As for federal law, even felons can possess BP firearms, with the exception of in line rifles.
I don't think it has anything to do with felons, Its just simply anyone can buy without any questions asked.
Many good people with black marks from the long past would buy and enjoy pre 1898 arms and not have any problems as long as they remained law abiding.
I have posted this before, but there was a stinking punk living next door with a felony record that was prosecuted and sent back to prison with a charge of Felon in possession of a firearm. That firearm was a BB gun. He would shoot tweety birds in our yard and it didn't mater that the wife was in the yard working in the flower garden.
Old August 12, 2008, 03:33 PM   #20
jrm

I realize that the OP asked about TX, and each state will likely have different laws on the subject. Always check with the local powers that be if you want to make sure you are legal.

However, NY law may provide an insight into the original question.

In NY, you need a permit to posses, use, carry, or even touch a handgun.

However, certain blackpowder handguns are considered antiques (even replicas) and can be purchased and owned without any type of permit. So far, this seems to be similar the OPs understanding.

If you read further into it, you will find that as soon as you posses the "means to load" that blackpowder handgun then you now posses a "weapon" which requires a license and comes under all the restrictions of a "modern" handgun.

Beyond the simple possession/carry restrictions, there are also other legal considerations. If it looks like a gun and you carry it around or "brandish" it, you are likely to run afoul of the police, especially if you do not have a carry permit.

Again, local laws vary. But it is usually safe to figure that there are virtually no loopholes when it comes to carrying weapon.
Old August 12, 2008, 04:22 PM   #21
sundance44s

One thing some folks find not so clear with the conseal carry permit , it does mean what it says ...If you are carrying it must be consealed ..If it is in sight and someone calls the cops while you are in a store shopping because you bent over and the clerk saw the grips of your pistol ..The cops will come and you will be treated like a bad guy with a gun , untill they unarm you and you produce the permit ...just do what they say , and keep your hands far away from your gun ...( This happened to a friend of mine ) .. In this day and time I can understand how this would happen ....Dirty Harry guns are cool but very hard to conseal . It wouldn`t matter if it were a BB gun , You need to understand the laws ..and they do differ from state to state .
Old August 13, 2008, 03:39 PM   #22
W. C. Quantrill

I have a Texas CCW, and take the classes regularly. Texas Law does not care what you load your cartridges with. A revolver is a revolver, and a semiautomatic pistol is a pistol. You could load them with nitroglycerine and the carry law is the same. Some local gestapos define the laws differently, so you are at the mercy of the locals, cause the Texas Rangers really dont give a hang.
Old August 13, 2008, 07:08 PM   #23
rem870hunter

m/l and bb guns/air rifles are considered firearms in NJ. and on top of that to buy a m/l or bb/pellet pistol you need to get a pistol purchasing permit to buy one. you can buy m/l online or in another state but for it to be legal it must be sent to a FFL etc.
Old August 14, 2008, 05:18 PM   #24
Double J

B-P Carry

--Illinois law considers B-P guns the same as any other. If you are restricted from having "guns, knives,or any other weapon" then it's a sure bet a probation officer will have a keen interest in a B-P weapon also.
--Black Powder is also an explosive, regulated by the BATF&E, so walking into, let's say a court house would not be a good idea.
--There are so many different regulations that you should consider a specific area then serch for the answers to your questions.