The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2000, 04:55 PM   #1
Mylhouse

Hello,

Does anyone know how to load subsonic .308 ammo? I understand the case volume is a problem, so could it be solved by using some sort of filler or flake powder?
If it is too difficult to reload for, does anyone know where I can get some? I heard Black Hills makes it, but for $30/box of 20! Ouch! Much appreciated!
Old April 1, 2000, 07:17 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I don't know of any specific load, but for starters: With a 169-grain gas-check in an '06, 20 grains of 2400 gives around 1,900 ft/sec or so.

So, somewhere around ten grains of 2400 or equivalent burn-rate powder oughta get you in the ball-park.

We got into this subject, here, several months back. "Reduced loads for ?", I don't exactly remember. I don't remember if oatmeal as a filler was panned or not.

I used to use five grains of shotgun powder with a 00 ball in the '06; no filler. I got reasonable squirrel-range accuracy.

FWIW, Art
Old April 1, 2000, 10:06 PM   #3
Mylhouse

Thanks, Art. I tried a search on "Subsonic .308" and came up with only 5 topics (including my own). The posts were helpful, but not completely relevant. My best friend's brother in law is a Class III dealer, and has a .30 suppressor. He invited us to go shooting his arsenal, as long as we brought the ammo. I wanted to try out his Remington 700 .308 w/ suppressor without hearing the sonic crack. If we could "cook" up a load without buying the Black Hills stuff (which I guess would have to be special-ordered), and not blow ourselves up in the process, that would be great.
Old April 1, 2000, 11:36 PM   #4
zot

if you used a 220 gr. or 240 weight bullet
with a reduced load of SR4759m couldn't ya
get sub with 15 gr.s with the 220 bullet?
I've used Unigue in 7.62x39 with 160 gr. lead gas checked with 8 gr.s of powder,
sounds like a target .38 load, I don't own a suppressor, I just like to plink with out the
blast sometimes.