The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 28, 2014, 02:26 PM   #1
drmajor

Remington Recall- YUK!!!

Was in talking to gun smith last week about my son's Remington 700 trigger action. He mentioned a recall and yes my son's in on it.

Got on the Remington sight and signed in to send the rifle back.

Today, i contacted them on time frame. YUK!!

FROM REMINGTON:
"The box to return your firearm should be arriving in approximately 5 to 7 business days.

Turnaround time is estimated to be at least twelve weeks from the time the firearm is received.

Thank you,
Customer Support"

[/COLOR]

That is at least 13 weeks w/o his rifle!!! Deer Season opens this Friday and this is his only gun.

When I negatively responded, they came back with..:
" I totally understand your frustration. Due to the enormous size of this recall, it is taking a long time to process the firearms. The workers are working hard to get them back to the customer as fast as they can.

They offered 40% once on their web site for Accessories.

Only solution- buy another rifle- fully at our expense...NOT a Remington.

What a shame that clients have to bear Remington's wrong and right in hunting season....

SAD...
Old July 28, 2014, 06:26 PM   #2
tahunua001

Remington is apparently the GM of the gun world lately. the R51 is also being recalled.
Old July 28, 2014, 10:34 PM   #3
nemesiss45

I got myself a timney trigger instead of sending my gun in to be inspected. it is cheaper than buying another gun and I got mine in about 3 days direct from timney.
Old July 28, 2014, 11:19 PM   #4
hoghunting

Quote:
I got myself a timney trigger instead of sending my gun in to be inspected. it is cheaper than buying another gun and I got mine in about 3 days direct from timney
Completely agree, it's an easy installation and a much better trigger.
Old July 28, 2014, 11:25 PM   #5
reynolds357

You would think that Remington would have learned by now how to build a trigger. Guess they do not learn very well. They are recalling the "safe" trigger that replaced the "dangerous" trigger that they never recalled? Remington logic I guess.
Old July 29, 2014, 12:38 AM   #6
emcon5

Does his trigger show any symptoms of having an issue? He could, and this is a crazy idea I know, practice safe gun handling, and send it back after deer season.

None of the people "killed by the defective Remington trigger" would be dead if some jackass hadn't pointed a loaded rifle at them.
Old July 29, 2014, 06:17 AM   #7
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis 45
I got myself a timney trigger instead of sending my gun in to be inspected. it is cheaper than buying another gun and I got mine in about 3 days direct from timney.
I wouldn't send the rifle back, I'd do exactly this as well. Recall sure has everything screwed up right now. I've been trying to find a M700 ADL in .223 or .204 with no luck. The local Sportsmans Warehouse has a few ADL rifles in stock but nothing in either cartridge I need.
Old July 29, 2014, 08:38 AM   #8
Orion6

Quote:
Was in talking to gun smith last week about my son's Remington 700 trigger action. He mentioned a recall and yes my son's in on it.

Got on the Remington sight and signed in to send the rifle back.

Today, i contacted them on time frame. YUK!!

FROM REMINGTON:
"The box to return your firearm should be arriving in approximately 5 to 7 business days.

Turnaround time is estimated to be at least twelve weeks from the time the firearm is received.

Thank you,
Customer Support"
[/COLOR]

That is at least 13 weeks w/o his rifle!!! Deer Season opens this Friday and this is his only gun.

When I negatively responded, they came back with..:
" I totally understand your frustration. Due to the enormous size of this recall, it is taking a long time to process the firearms. The workers are working hard to get them back to the customer as fast as they can.

They offered 40% once on their web site for Accessories.

Only solution- buy another rifle- fully at our expense...NOT a Remington.

What a shame that clients have to bear Remington's wrong and right in hunting season....

SAD...
As already stated, get a Timney and move on. I helped a buddy install one on his recalled rifle and he's very happy with it. Very easy to install and good instructions on YouTube.
Old July 29, 2014, 06:00 PM   #9
Jo6pak

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5
Does his trigger show any symptoms of having an issue? He could, and this is a crazy idea I know, practice safe gun handling, and send it back after deer season.

None of the people "killed by the defective Remington trigger" would be dead if some jackass hadn't pointed a loaded rifle at them.
^^This.

But, yeah, put in a Timney and be done with it
Old July 29, 2014, 09:52 PM   #10
ronl

I installed a Rifle Basix trigger in mine and couldn't be happier. I was considering upgrading the trigger anyway and the recall made my mind up for me.
Old July 29, 2014, 10:09 PM   #11
gyvel

Can someone enlighten me as to how far back the recall goes? Or possibly steer me to the site which addresses the recall? Thanks.

Edit: I found it, and apparently, since my 700 was made in the late 60s, it is not part of the recall.

Last edited by gyvel; July 29, 2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old July 30, 2014, 11:16 AM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmajor
Remington announced the recall on April 11th. It's not their fault that you didn't find out or that you didn't send it in until now.

Also, since not every gun is a deer gun and not every season is deer season, it's always SOME sort of hunting season, somewhere, all the time. How exactly are they supposed to do it NOT during "hunting season"? Should they STOP processing the recall during hunting season so you can keep your gun for a few weeks?

Keep the gun and send it in AFTER the season, it's not suddenly going to blow up. There has been a problem with the 700 trigger for YEARS, although this recall doesn't really address THAT problem. There's really not much reason to be in a huge hurry to send it in now. With safe gun handling practices, the worst that can happen is a bullet in the dirt and a lost opportunity at an animal. Or, as suggested, get a much better than factory Timney or other trigger and be done with it in a few days instead of weeks.
Old July 30, 2014, 02:46 PM   #13
Picher

If you have, or can get a pin punch and brass hammer, you can install a Timney trigger (or other one) on your rifle. It takes about 15 minutes if you follow the instructions. You may also need a pair of needle-nosed pliers to bend the bolt-release lever the correct angle to function well...very simple.

The Timney is very impressive. After about 50 rounds of "break-in", I turned the upper front adjustment screw in to take out a bit of backlash, but leaving enough to ensure clearance. (If there's zero backlash, triggers can wear out quickly.)

Mine is what I call a "dream trigger" that's neither too heavy or too light...at just under 2 1/4 lbs., it's just right for warm season hunting/shooting. It contributes significantly to making accurate shots, especially offhand and field rest shots. (For cold weather hunting, while wearing gloves, I prefer 3 lb. pulls.)
Old July 30, 2014, 02:53 PM   #14
tobnpr

First thing I did when I bought my son's 700 was put in a Timney...
Factory triggers suck, recall or no recall.

Remington knows that no one is going to actually send back a rifle they need to use....expect Timney's to be in great demand...I'll bet they're happy about the recall!
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old July 30, 2014, 04:42 PM   #15
emcon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger
Keep the gun and send it in AFTER the season, it's not suddenly going to blow up. There has been a problem with the 700 trigger for YEARS, although this recall doesn't really address THAT problem.
That may be changing, if some reports are true:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/loca...2ffcb67d2.html

I still think the whole thing is nonsense, and I have two Walker trigger equipped Remington 700s which will keep them if recalled.
Old July 30, 2014, 05:08 PM   #16
mete

I'm not convinced at all. It's the sad practice that people get hurt and blame everything but their own stupidity. Then the media makes a big thing of it.
The older trigger especially when corrected by a good smith to eliminate the "lawyer " weight ,Or the pre-lawyer ones are fine !!
Old July 30, 2014, 10:15 PM   #17
tangolima

I have a 30 years old rem 700. I sent it in when the 1st recall came around 10 years ago. They modified the safety so that I could open the bolt when safety is on. It is the only thing in the original design that I have issue with. The original trigger is fine the way it has been. Well I have to admit that they under estimated people's stupidity.

When Remington later announced that they would do away with original trigger design in they new rifles, I immediately bought on eBay a trigger of the old design, in case I need a replacement down the road.

I will not send my rifle this time around. It is only me. I don't hunt, and I don't do silly things with my rifle, and I keep it in top notch condition.

-TL
Old July 31, 2014, 08:53 AM   #18
drmajor

Remington Recall

Well, we sent the gun in....reluctantly.

Wish I had thought about the aftermarket trigger first.. good solution.

However, my son bought a Ruger The American Rifle in 30/06 for a replacement till it gets back. If offers him some good solutions... Not blued and no wood for hunting in our swamps.

The action is not as smooth, but trigger break is predictable and it has a nice balance even with a 50mm scope mounted.

I like my 2008 Rem 700. It has been shot enough to make things nice and smooth. But I must confess, I get tired of trying to stave off the moisture effects of where we hunt.
Old July 31, 2014, 08:51 PM   #19
reynolds357

One problem with most aftermarket triggers is that they are probably statistically no safer than Remingtons trigger. When they get worn or out of adjustment, bad things happen to them as well. Winchester 70 has the exact same problem as Rem 700. Why do we hear so much more about the Remington? Maybe because there are so many more Remingtons out there. The aftermarket companies do not have to build a fail safe trigger, because they always have "improper installation" to fall back on as a liability buffer. Have yall never had a Timney, Rifle Basix, or Jewel go off when it was not supposed to? I have had all three. I have also had 2 different Mod 70 Winchesters do it. The old Remington 700 is not the least bit scary to me. Never messed with the new trigger, so cant form opinion on it. I think if I had one, I would open it up and pick the exessive loktite off it and forget about sending it anywhere.

Last edited by reynolds357; July 31, 2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old August 1, 2014, 08:57 AM   #20
gyvel

I took a look at some Timneys. They ain't exactly cheap...
SIFE
Old August 1, 2014, 09:30 AM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyvel View Post
I took a look at some Timneys. They ain't exactly cheap...

Try one, you won't care what it costs.
Old August 1, 2014, 01:19 PM   #22
Saltydog235

I had purchased a 700 Long Range through Buds on the Lay-A-Way plan, I paid it off in April. On 7/30//2014 I had them refund my money on the rifle. They have no time frame on when Remington was going to return the gun to them. Maybe down the road I'll pick up one up but I saw no reason to let them keep my money without the product being sent.

Sucks to, the first thing I do with a 700 is replace the junk factory trigger with a Timney. In fact, I got a brand new Timney set at 2.5lbs sitting in my dresser waiting on the gun.
Old August 1, 2014, 02:35 PM   #23
reynolds357

Timney is expensive. Timney is also nice until you shoot Jewel.
Old August 1, 2014, 02:38 PM   #24
kbuilta

"Remington announced the recall on April 11th. It's not their fault that you didn't find out or that you didn't send it in until now. "

Don't feel bad, it wouldn't matter even responding right away, which I did:
- 4/11: They announced it
- 4/13: I registered online
- 6/04: They emailed box label pdf files and opened a ticket #
- 6/11: Boxes arrived at home
- 6/12: Box was given to UPS with rifle inside and shipped to Remington
- 6/17: Tracking said the rifle was delivered to Remington
- 6/27: Remington officially "received" it and issued a Repair number.
- today: still hearing crickets when I check on the status

So, how long was the repair supposed to take once they received it? Twelve weeks? That clock didn't start ticking until 2-1/2 months after I registered for the recall fix (2 days after the announcement!!). I figure I got put in line after all the gun retailers since Rem already had my money. Again, it didn't matter if you put it in now. Let's compare return dates when we get them back and we'll see how much difference it made! Probably not much.

Glad I have other things to shoot.
Old August 2, 2014, 06:30 PM   #25
mxsailor803

I agree with a couple others earlier. A Timney or Shilen trigger is less than 200 bucks and it performs better and wouldn't have the wait time. Sorry your boy has to wait.