The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 11, 2012, 12:23 AM   #1
bonefamily

Own, shoot, but don't carry

I hope I don't open any cans of worms here, but how many own and shoot their guns just for the fact they love to shoot and don't carry for self defense purpose?

While still being relatively new to firearms, and have purchased my gun (now guns) initially for CCW reasons, I have become more fond of shooting them at the range than I think I might be for carrying them. In fact, I can see myself getting into target shooting clubs and the like, I like it that much. I still have yet to take my CCW class as I wanted to get better skilled with shooting before doing so, but now I question myself if carrying for self defense reasons is something I really want - still on the fence with this...
Old December 11, 2012, 12:44 AM   #2
geetarman

I shoot at the outdoor range once a week and at an indoor range once or twice a week.

I do not carry very often on my person but I do carry a weapon in my truck. Usually a G30.

I really don't feel the need to carry 24/7.

Someday. . .I may wish I had. It has been a problem for me to adapt to carrying on my person.

My son carries most of the time and is completely at ease with it. I am not. Just too old fashioned I guess.

Carpe Cerveza
Old December 11, 2012, 01:02 AM   #3
Dr Big Bird PhD

I wont ever carry unless I move.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 11, 2012, 05:41 AM   #4
Nickel Plated

Quote:
I have become more fond of shooting them at the range than I think I might be for carrying them.
I don't see why the two have to be mutually exclusive. I love shooting guns, and I would still carry one every chance I get once I leave NYC.

Quote:
I really don't feel the need to carry 24/7.
The way I see it, If you're gonna carry some of the time, you may as well carry all the time. You are of course free to do as you wish, I just never saw the point in carrying "sometimes".
Old December 11, 2012, 07:09 AM   #5
mikejonestkd

I spend the vast majority of my days in a gun free zone, so carrying is not an option. I do have one with me when I travel, and would carry more often if I could.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Nine the Ranger

I don't carry myself, although I'd like to.

Age is the reason for me, not preference.
Old December 11, 2012, 09:07 AM   #7
Atbat82

I shoot at the range, keep a gun on my nightstand, but I do not carry. I'm pretty new to this and I'm just not comfortable yet with carrying. Plus, I can't carry at work and I'm not sure how I feel about leaving a gun in the car...

Sent from my iPhone
Old December 11, 2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

For many years, I owned guns and hunted, but neither visited the shooting range, nor carried. In fact, I never shot at an actual "range" until I was 40-something. I started carrying, oh, about a year and a half ago, but I cannot carry at work (municipal buildings, courthouses, etc.), so I just carry when I legally can.
Old December 11, 2012, 09:17 AM   #9
Stressfire

I bought my first pistol because I enjoy shooting.

Carrying didn't come into play until about a year after that. I don't live in or frequent typically "hazardous" areas. Nor am I what most would consider in the "easy prey" classification - 28 YO male, good health

So my reason for carrying is, on one hand, a matter of being able to defend myself and loved ones lethally if no other option is available, and on the other, simply because I can
Old December 11, 2012, 09:36 AM   #10
Sparks1957

Quote:
I spend the vast majority of my days in a gun free zone, so carrying is not an option. I do have one with me when I travel, and would carry more often if I could
That sums up my situation pretty well. I carry when and where I can
Old December 11, 2012, 09:59 AM   #11
Gaerek

My whole purpose of getting back into shooting was for defensive purposes. I love hitting the range and shooting whatever, but I carry every day. As I've seen it put, if I have pants on that can hold my gun belt, I have a gun on. The idea of carrying sometimes or only when I think I'll need it is sort of a dumb idea. I don't know when I will need it. If I did know when I'd need it, I wouldn't need to carry. The only time I don't carry in public is when it is illegal for me to do so.

I will say, if you don't want to carry, that's your choice, and the choice of most people in the country, and it's perfectly acceptable...for you. I've had two close calls occur to me in the past two years at times I wasn't carrying (in areas that would be considered sage) and I don't want to be in that situation again. Heck, just last Thursday I witnessed one of the worst cases of road rage I've ever seen. I luckily wasn't involved, and the raging driver never left his car, but it could have escalated pretty quickly. Let's just say while I was watching it, I had my phone out ready to call 911, and I patted my hip to feel the reassurance of the gun there....just in case.

EDIT: I want to point out that I'm not exactly an easy looking target at 6'5" and around 320lbs. 31 YO male. I live in what is considered a safe area. I'm just not going to take chances with my life and the lives of my family members.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:03 AM   #12
pgdion

I owned and shot long before I ever carried. Just got my permit a couple years back and actually don't carry very much myself. Mostly because my work precludes it. I have 2 guns that are good for carry but they see much more range time than they do carry time.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:45 AM   #13
southjk

I'm still considering getting a carry permit so that I can carry when I want. My days during the week consist of picking up and dropping off daughter at school and going to work. Neither place allows guns anywhere on the property so there is no point in carrying during the week. Only time I could carry would be weekends or trips.

To those that can't imagine carrying only sometimes then you obviously don't have to go where guns are not allowed or just carry anyway.

Last edited by southjk; December 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old December 11, 2012, 12:03 PM   #14
Gaerek

Quote:
To those that can't imagine carrying only sometimes then you obviously don't have to go where guns are not allowed or just carry anyway.
Not at all. You work around it. I won't carry illegally. Not worth the potential for losing my permit. I have to drop my daughter at school and pick her up everyday. Luckily, in Arizona as long as you have a permit (Arizona has Constitutional carry, permits give advantages though) you can have your gun on you in the car. If you leave the car, it has to be removed and left out of sight in the locked car. If we didn't have the provision, I'd still carry. I'd just park off property and leave my gun there while I take my daughter in. It would be worth the extra 200 yards of walking just to be able to have my gun.

Another thing you can do is ask other locals what they do to be legal, and still carry as much as possible. You'll find that things like "gun-free" schools are rarely a hinderence to those who wish to carry.
Old December 11, 2012, 12:23 PM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
how many own and shoot their guns just for the fact they love to shoot and don't carry for self defense purpose?
I have a weird disconnect with some gun owners. Some folks only own carry guns. That's the one and only purpose for them.

I find that incredibly unfulfilling and a bit tragic. Most of my guns aren't guns I'd carry. I've got a whole collection of neat .22 pistols that I enjoy recreationally, and I've got some great target pistols, and I've got others I simply enjoy owning and only shoot once in a while.

We won't even get started on how few of my rifles would even remotely qualify as home defense/combat guns.
Old December 11, 2012, 12:27 PM   #16
Yung.gunr

Pretty much everyone in my family has guns (Dad, uncles, brothers cousins) it has always been something we do when we get together.
But, only myself and two LEO cousins are only ones who carry. It's strange because a different cousin (not LEO) carried a couple years ago when the KT pocket autos were new. Now he doesn't????... I guess when he moved to a more rural area he didn't feel the need.

Anyway, I'm not able to carry at work, but every other time I have some kind of gun on my person. I'm not what you would call an easy looking mark either. Male, rather large and younger (feeling older now with the kids, receding hairline and white beard hairs).
Old December 11, 2012, 12:41 PM   #17
pax

Quote:
I still have yet to take my CCW class as I wanted to get better skilled with shooting before doing so...
This is common thinking, but it's backwards. You don't become "good enough" to take a class. Ideally, you take a class while you are still new and unskilled, then practice to get better. The guys who have been shooting for years are the terror of experienced firearms instructors everywhere. (Don't believe me? Read this.)

The purpose of a class is to show you what to practice and how to practice it. If you practice doing something wrong 2000 times, it's a sure bet that on the 2001st time, you'll do it wrong. So you get to a class first, learn what you need to know, then get to the range to practice and become better at doing it smoothly.

There's no real downside to getting your carry permit, even if you decide not to carry right now. If something in your life changed and you decided you really need to be carrying, having the permit on hand means you can start doing so right away. In the meanwhile, that carry permit tells your local politicians that X number of their constituents care about their gun rights, which definitely helps the rest of us. And in many states, the permit allows you to buy guns more easily or inside shorter time frames.

pax
Old December 11, 2012, 01:42 PM   #18
JMP

I have a few pistols that would be great for carry and have my ccw permit but have never carried and don't think I probably ever will. Most of my guns are only shot at paper and just a few are used for hunting.
Old December 11, 2012, 02:07 PM   #19
Buzzcook

I don't carry, I do shoot.

I would be concerned if someone carried but didn't go to the range.
Old December 11, 2012, 02:52 PM   #20
L_Killkenny

I'm not gonna say I never carry but when it comes to gun ownership then SD, HD, CC, etc, etc is down the list for me. As a matter of fact the only reasons I have a carry permit is 1) because I can and 2) so I don't have to worry about proper storage when transporting to the range or field. I have no gun that would be considered an ideal carry gun. They are either to big in size or too small in caliber. I lived for decades without a permit and would feel safe enough if I never carried again. Yes, I'll carry again but I don't fear the reaper if I don't.

Carrying can be over rated and is not for everyone. Ya gotta watch how you act more (no more giving the bird to a driver that cut me off), gotta watch how much ya drink, etc.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:15 PM   #21
ohiomossyoak

Ohio law allows me to own firearms and OPEN carry,but does not allow me to get a CCW permit..Makes sense right?(sarcasm).....
Old December 11, 2012, 03:25 PM   #22
pax

Hmmm?

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-...rmation-center

Are you under age?

pax
Old December 11, 2012, 03:28 PM   #23
Skans

I've been a gun owner for about 30 years and just started carrying in the last 5 years. The area around where I work changed and that's what prompted me to start carrying. To carry or not carry is a personal decision. For me, it's just another PITA thing I need to remember during the day.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:44 PM   #24
Apom

I shoot but currently don't carry. I want my CCW but just can never get to it. I'm not all that worried about being unarmed. I have the Lord Jesus Christ watching over me according to a bunch of folks. If the good Lord says its my time, no amount of firepower will protect me.
Old December 11, 2012, 09:34 PM   #25
Glenn E. Meyer

Predestination of your death is not our topic for discussion. Thank you.