The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 27, 2011, 11:33 AM   #1
foxman444

Background search

I am applying for my pistol permit in Ulster Co. NY for the use of hunting and trapping. I passed the 50 year old mark and the old long rifle is getting a little clumsy to carry on the trail with all my other equipment.
How deep does the investagator go into medical background? Am I proctected by HIPPA? I did a stint as a volunteer in an out patient rehab over 10 years ago and and 12 days in a hospital for depression 4 years ago.
I want to honest with the app. but if the prospects are dim I'd rather just let it go. Any advice would be helpful.
Old June 27, 2011, 11:56 AM   #2
geetarman

I think your best bet is to answer the question truthfully. You don't need to give them the epic narrative answer.

If you try to hedge and they find out, you will most likely cook your own goose.

Hope it all works out for you.

Geetarman
Old June 27, 2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Not being a NY resident I don't know how the NY questions are worded. For the Federal 4473, the question asks if you have ever been "committed" to a mental institution. That means, sent there against your will, pursuant to a court order.

Thus, your volunteer stint would not require a yes answer. Your 12-days for treatment of depression might. I won't ask you to lay out your entire medical history on an open forum, but I will suggest that before answering any questions on any forms, you should be sure you have read the questions carefully, and understand exactly what they are asking. Don't volunteer any more information than is asked for.
Old June 27, 2011, 04:59 PM   #4
hermannr

Committed to a MH institution means that you went before a judge and the judge said you were a danger either to yourself or society, so for the greater good, you will be institutionalized. Did you go before a judge? At least out here that is an automatic 14 days, not 12...is why I ask?

If you went before a judge, you must answer yes, then explain. If you went into an institution voluntarily....I do not know NY law. You will have to read the law yourself, or seek proper legal advice.