The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 18, 2011, 04:34 PM   #1
cannonfire

AR Trigger Guard Problem

I bought a Magpul MOE trigger guard for my AR build. I tried installing it the other day and the pin will not go all the way in, probably 1/3 to 1/2 of the way in. I've tried to pull the pin out, it wont come out, I tried to make sure the trigger guard was on correctly but the pin is partially in the trigger guard. I've given it a couple of real good whacks with the punch and hammer, but I'm afraid any harder and I will break it. And to top it off, I can't pull the pin out with a pair of needle nose pliers either

Somebody please help.
Old January 18, 2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Put the receiver on a hard wood block with a hole that will pass the pin.
Make SURE the "ear" on the frame is well and fully supported or the ear will snap off, ruining the receiver.

Get a GOOD punch of the right size and cut it off so it's just long enough to pass through the receiver holes.
Use that to drive the pin out.
Using an old, bent or too-long punch will tend not to move the pin.

Again, WARNING be careful to support the ears of the receiver, these snap off and ruin the receiver.

To install the new trigger guard, make sure the pin isn't deformed or damaged.
Make sure the guard and receiver holes aren't damaged or burred.
Make sure it's the right size pin. (mistakes happen).
Make sure it passes freely through the trigger guard, and isn't too tight a fit in the receiver ears.
Test fit the trigger guard and make sure the hole in the guard does line up properly with the holes in the ears.
Use a stone to lightly taper the end of the pin that goes into the receiver first. This will help get it guided through.
DON"T just hammer away. The pin will need firm taps to install, but will slide in without major force.
Old January 19, 2011, 02:42 PM   #3
guncrank

What DF said and try driving the pin opposite of the way you where before , because it sounds like the end of the pin is mushroomed.
CEW
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old January 21, 2011, 12:10 PM   #4
cannonfire

the problem is is that there is no hole on the other side, so the only thing I can do is try to keep punching it or use pliers to pull it out, none of which are working. I'd hate to bring it to a gunsmith but it looks like this may be the only way to go
Old January 21, 2011, 03:19 PM   #5
DnPRK

You need to drill it out with a drill press. Do not use a hand drill because superman cannot hold it steady enough.
Old January 21, 2011, 07:55 PM   #6
guncrank

OP you know that the front hole , behind the mag well is for a plunger right?
The roll pin goes in back hole.
If you put roll pin in front hole , you will need to drill it out.
A carbide drill bit is best, in a drill press , better would be a mill.
CEW
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old January 21, 2011, 08:25 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

A possible option is to use a pair of good Vise-grips that haven't been beat up or sprung yet.

Grip the pin as tightly as you can, even if you have to squash the pin.
Then rotate and pull to remove.

As above, the pin goes in the REAR hole, not the front.
Old January 22, 2011, 07:04 PM   #8
cannonfire

Obviously I'm new to all of this, but I called Magpul today and they said there there was suppose to be a screw, not a small pin, thats why it wasn't working. So they are sending me out that screw.

Thanks for all of your replies, sorry for being a noob
Old January 22, 2011, 07:36 PM   #9
HiBC

It is not convenient to get to my AR's right now,but I have run into this before.I think I can recall enough to point you in a direction,maybe someone else will follow up with complete info.
On the original guard,there is one fixed pin,and one end is a detent.You are supposed to be able to use a bullet tip to swing the guard down for a winter trigger.
If you drive the roll pin in on the wrong end of the bow,you do end up with a blind hole situation as you describe.
It has been a long time,but,as I recall,we had enough space between the guard bow and the ear on the lower to use a dremell type thin abrasive cutoff wheel to go between the parts and slice the pin in half.That done,all that was lost is the roll pin.No damage was done to the reciever or the guard bow.No drilling is required.Worst case,cut some of the Magul bow and buy another.
Look at things a while and see if that makes sense,and,put the pin in the end with the holes all the way thru.