The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 17, 2011, 11:11 PM   #1
AFLO

NYPD special edition

I have a Smith &Wesson Model 36 .38+P Limited Edition NYPD Model 36 2” Snubbie. I was wondering if anyone knew what the logo was on the grip of the gun? This is not my gun but its identical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l2_pistols_sw_model_36_nypd_variant_dao_38374.jpg (48.9 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by AFLO; January 17, 2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: picture
Old January 17, 2011, 11:12 PM   #2
armsmaster270

Post a pic.
Old January 17, 2011, 11:13 PM   #3
AFLO

just did
Old January 18, 2011, 12:36 AM   #4
BikerRN

That's the Pachhmahr logo.
Old January 18, 2011, 05:39 AM   #5
Glenn Dee

NYPD Officers could purchase their "OFF DUTY" revolver from any legitimate firearms dealer within the state of NY. The NYPD Equipment section also offered S&W, COLT, and RUGER revolvers for sale to members of the service. In my experience the model 36 revolvers sold by the equipment section were squair butt versions. Your version seems to of the round butt version (based on the wood grips in the picture). Also the bobbed hammer was never an option on the model 36, and per regulations would have probably caused the gun to become unauthorized. Other than the S&W shipping records, I dont know if there is any way to determine if a gun was sold at the equipment section. NYPD revolvers are the personal property of the individual officer.

However there was a version sold at the Equipment section, that wasnt very common in the civilian stores. This was a squair butt blue steel model 36 with a 3" heavy barrel. These were designated as the service revolver for female police officers for a short while. A lot of guys purchased them as off duty guns, or plain clothes duty use.

Other than inquiering S&W as to what distributor recieved your serial # there is no real way of telling if it was an NYPD gun. As I said before even if it wasnt sold by the NYPD, and officer may have purchased it at any licensed firearms dealer in NYS.

I'd advise posting on the S&W forum. I know there are a few former NYPD armorers who hang out there. Maybe they can give you some happier news.

GlennD.
Old January 18, 2011, 07:55 AM   #6
Mannlicher

I have a S&W Model 60, that was an issue gun for NYPD detectives. It is factory DAO, bobbed hammer, three inch barrel.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan