The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 12, 2008, 09:22 PM   #1
ltmcleoed

any nc coyote hunter?

i live in eastern NC and didnt know if there were any other NC coyote hunters who could give me some tips(or just tell me how to call them in, cause i cant!!!)? we get them to talk to use but thats about it. thanks
Old March 15, 2008, 12:54 PM   #2
tarheel101

Wish I could help you but I'm in about the same boat as you. I'm in the Piedmont and hunt Anson and Montgomery Counties. I hear them yelping and barking going in to my stands in the mournings and find plenty of tracks and scat around.
I checked with the Forrestry Service about hunting them on game land and you are welcome to shoot them but you have to be hunting something that is in season and with the appropriate firearm. So during deer season you can carry a centerfire rifle, small game season you can carry a rimfire or shotgun, turkey season you can only carry a shotgun. And if nothing is in season you can only have a .22 pistol with 6" or less barrel.
I wish they would make some way to accomodate predator hunters with a special permit or something, it would benefit the game as I am sure fawns and turkey/turkey eggs are surely high on the menu of coyotes.
I am amazed to see coyotes dead on I85 and I77 in very densly populated areas, I would never have believed it 20 years ago that there were any in NC.
Just wish I had more time to spend in the woods and maybe I could figure out how to get a few of them.

Tarheel
Old March 15, 2008, 02:14 PM   #3
shepherddogs

I too am mystified by the ways of the Carolina coyote. I hear them howling and yipping at ambulance and police sirens so I know they're around. I bought an inexpensive Johnny Stewart electronic caller and can't get them to show up and get shot. I've wondered if a better caller might help. The caller brings in every hawk in the county but the coyote never shows up.
Old March 20, 2008, 12:08 PM   #4
Tuckahoe

You may want to check out the NC preditor hunters association lots of tips there. What area of NC are you in? www.northcarolinapha.com/
Old March 20, 2008, 05:04 PM   #5
ltmcleoed

johnston county, clayton to be exact
Old April 2, 2008, 11:22 PM   #6
Tuckahoe

Cool, I lived in the Cleveland area as a kid. Boy that place has changed.
Old April 3, 2008, 09:10 AM   #7
ltmcleoed

no kidding, one of my most coyote populated places to hunt is in cleveland. right off 42. where are you now?
Old April 3, 2008, 09:45 AM   #8
45Marlin carbine

Transylvania county. yotes are down in the river flats by the cattle farms and in the Forest. I hunt the forest, sling ripe sardine juice on a bush near a ground stand. and hang the can on a limb. get the smell in the air and see what comes a'running.
Old April 3, 2008, 10:05 AM   #9
ltmcleoed

45marlin carbine, yall have groundhogs out that way? i shot my first couple this past summer, pretty intertaining stuff.
Old April 3, 2008, 11:59 AM   #10
45Marlin carbine

yep, they're bad to burrow around creekbanks. but I don't have time to go after 'em much. plenty here.
Old April 3, 2008, 05:59 PM   #11
ltmcleoed

Are farmers/land owners willing to let people they dont know go out and shoot them? I really enjoyed shooting them this summer and im trying to find some places to go hunt'm. Some people now a days wont let anyone near there property and then some are just the opposite. In the last couple years i've had to sign two liability waivers just too bow hunt. I dont mind signing at all it was just nicer when people didnt care.
Old April 3, 2008, 08:40 PM   #12
DKA

I have not had much luck on coyotes either, they are survivors, heard someone say at the end of time, only coyotes and roaches will be here.LOL Really think that the population is not large enough at present to keep them in a certain area. Most of the ones that have been killed close by here, were taken by deer hunters from tree stands.
Old June 13, 2008, 11:22 AM   #13
hillbillyboy

i coyote hunt in southern durham county NC. Duke university had the bright idea of releasing them thinking they would control deer populations. They saw calves and decided they would like to eat those instead. i shoot the suckers on sight. a great site for coyote hunting is www.varmintal.com he has some great stuff and instructions on how to build your own digital call, i build one and it works great
Old June 14, 2008, 11:50 AM   #14
MCKNBRD

Tagged for future reference...I'm in Thomasville and we've seen them alongside 85 and some folks are starting to complain.

Might have to pick up a .223 for a little coyote medicine. Don't wanna waste expensive .308 ammo on them...

If anybody needs a little help with them, I'd love to learn how to get them called in and take care of your problem for ya...

Byrdman
Old June 15, 2008, 01:08 PM   #15
sureshots

Mcknbrd

Hey, I'm in Lexington, I like to hunt Coyotes. I use A 223cal.and 22-250cal. Problem is finding places to hunt. How about you?
Old June 15, 2008, 07:47 PM   #16
Selfdfenz

Tuckahoe

THX for posting http://www.northcarolinapha.com/
Interesting site and I already turned up a couple of threads on making inexpensive callers. If the MP3 idea would work with one of the radio shack amps and bull horn-type speaker, sound volume would not be a problem. That would cost well less than 75 dollars.

This whole issue of NC coyotes has me fascinated. I saw plenty in TX but never hunted any. The couple I have seen in NC were both killed HWY 321 in or near Hickory. One was huge!

I'm sure we have'em up past Lenoir.

Interesting but unscientific observation on my part: in TX the pack puts up a big racket just before sunrise every day. I have yet to hear that anywhere in NC. That may not be saying too much. It seems to me the western coyote and the eastern transplants have different behaviours. I wonder if what works out west will work as well here?

I'm going to give that econo-caller a try.

Best to you all,

S-
Old June 15, 2008, 08:54 PM   #17
ltmcleoed

the carolina coyote is very different then out west. i dont know why but it seems like they are extremely less vocal and are much harder to get in close. i've been hunting them in johnston county for almost a year and only had one pair come in close enough to shoot. i have had them howl back and forth with me for an hour but never get closer then 400 yds. and thats 400 yards through the woods. i have an older buddy who lived in montana and he said it was way different out there, they were still hard to hunt but the success rate was way higher
Old June 16, 2008, 08:06 AM   #18
Selfdfenz

In the colonization from west to east I wonder if it's possible some kind of natural selection took place that resulted in an eastern population that just doesn't use the same communication processes or hunting processes as the western coyotes. I doubt the eastern coyotes are near population saturation like they are many places out west. Could be when they do saturate an area their manner of doing business will change and they will get competitive enough to come to calls that don't work too well right now.

They are interesting critters. I lived in the Metroplex in TX for many years. I've seen coyotes cross 4 lane streets in very developed residential areas early in the AM. Actually they were the healthiest dogs I saw in TX as the country versions look pretty thin and flea bitten most of the time. They seem to be able to live and prosper very close to humans.

When car-struck coyotes started showing up on the side of the road in Hickory of all places I realized they are probably here in greater numbers than I anticipated. I'm a little further west on the edge of the national forest. Were it legal to do it this would be a great time of year to hunt them there as water is a tad limited and what the coyotes hunt will be concentrated. I can't imagine the WRC would get after a fellow for using the NF and gamelands to test out a new caller as long as no firearms were present. At least that's my plan.

Best

S-
Old June 16, 2008, 08:11 AM   #19
Selfdfenz

In the colonization from west to east I wonder if it's possible some kind of natural selection took place that resulted in an eastern population that just don't use the same communication processes or hunting processes as the western coyotes. I doubt the eastern coyotes are near population saturation like they are many places out west. Could be when they do saturate an area their matter of doing business will change and they will get competitive enough to come to calls that don't work too well right now.

They are interesting critters. I lived in the Metroplex in TX for many years. I've seen coyotes cross 4 lane streets in very developed residential areas early in the AM. Actually they were the healthiest dogs I saw in TX as the country versions look pretty thin and flea bitten most of the time. They seem to be able to live and prosper very close to human.

When car-struck coyotes started showing up on the side of the road in Hickory of all places I realized they are probaly here in greater numbers than I anticipated. I'm a little further west on the edge of the national forest. Were it legal to do it this would be a great time of year to hunt them there as water is a tad limited and what the coyotes hunt will be concentrated. I can't imagine the WRC would get after a fellow for using the NF and gamelands to test out a new caller as long as no firearms were present. at least that's my plan.

Best

S-
Old June 19, 2008, 07:45 AM   #20
ed2006

I live in PA but the members of a forum I belong to "call" the Coyotes , I don't know what that means ( I don't hunt) but you can visit the forum PAFOA.org and use the search feature , some of the hunters there are into coyotes. I am in the City of Philadelphia and I have not seen them yet , but I am sure they will be here soon , some of those coyotes you are talking about may be hybrids between red wolf and coyotes or dogs and coyotes , if so they will be bigger than the western coyote.

Ed

good luck getting rid of the vermin (coyotes)