The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 28, 2014, 09:00 PM   #1
spawndn72

45 acp powder and bullet choices

So, I have decided to get back into reloading and it looks like it's slim pickings for powder out there. With the thought of "jump on it when you find it", I have managed to get 4 lbs of AA#7 and 2 lbs of Hodgdon CFE pistol.

There is load data for both of these for 45 acp, with not much out there in terms of feedback for the CFE and less than stellar reviews for the AA#7(for the 45 acp).

Since this is the only powder I have managed to find, what do you guys think my choice of bullets should be? This will be for a 1991 German made P220 and a Colt government model 1911.

Thanks,
Todd
Old May 28, 2014, 09:15 PM   #2
filthy phil

Only loading. 45?
#7 works great with the heavy 9mm's (147 plated xtreme)
Old May 28, 2014, 11:30 PM   #3
DaleA

If it's just for paper punching at the range 200 grain lead semi-wadcutters have been my standard for a long time. With Bullseye powder.

Some of my friends used 185 grain lswc and saved a little money but in my 1911 the 200 grain bullets were a bit more consistent.

Of course these days depending on where you are you might not have much more choice of bullets than powder.

Good Luck.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:04 AM   #4
mmb713

Accurate Arms and Hodgdon both publish data online. I would check their reloading data for the powders you have and see what bullets weights they have data for and go with those.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

CFE Pistol will probably be your better choice in 45 Auto. AA#7 is too slow for 45 for anything but full throttle heavy bullet loads. You could look around for someone to swap with for a faster powder better suited to 45 Auto.

For bullets I recommend Xtreme plated bullets in 45 Auto. They can be loaded using jacketed data of the same weight bullet. You will never exceed the velocity limit of 1200 fps in 45 Auto with any published data. They are available direct from the manufacturer at a good price and are usually in stock. They make for some very accurate loads too.

http://www.xtremebullets.com/
Old May 29, 2014, 12:32 AM   #5
Nick_C_S

I wish these "this powder was all I could find" posts were more rare. Meaning, I wish this darn shortage would ease up. I'm beginning to think it's the new normal.

Can't speak for CFE. But I have experience with AA7. Unfortunately, AA7 is a slow powder and in the world of 45ACP, it's only going to be able to produce a "balanced" load by using the heaviest of bullets - 230g minimum.

With the right bullet (heavy), I think you can make some decent rounds. But it's going to be a challenge. And they are necessarily going to be full-throttle rounds. They just are.

What you don't want to do is try to make a round that isn't suitable for the powder. AA7 is what it is. If you try to underload it with a light bullet and/or low powder charge, you are going to be disappointed. Inconsistent ignitions/performance; lots of powder fouling; etc.

Good luck. Keep searching for powder. I saw some AA5 at my LGS last week (I didn't buy - I have plenty). AA5 is exceptional for 45ACP, over a broad range of loadings. Maybe some will show up there soon.
Old May 29, 2014, 05:56 AM   #6
hodaka

Yes, what Nick said. The only powder I have found lately is CFE and I'm going to try it soon. #7 is not that good for .45 so you probably want to save it for something else like a .357 mag.
Old May 29, 2014, 09:40 AM   #7
Nick_C_S

Quote:
AA7 is not that good for .45, so you probably want to save it for something else like a .357 mag.
AA7 is exceptional for 357 Mag. Pushes 140g & 158g JHP's really fast. 4" or longer barrel length recommended, however.