The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 9, 2013, 05:09 PM   #1
BOBno1

Double Action Browning Hipower

The Browning Hipower has been produced mostly a single action semiautomatic handgun. Can a SA Browning HP be converted/gunsmithed to become double action?
Old April 9, 2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Not really.
I understand that Larry Seecamp did two BHP conversions and concluded he did not want to do any more. Whereas he converted 1911s to DA until finding that he could make more money building pocket pistols than gunsmithing.

There was such a thing as a Browning DA, not the same as the BDM.
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/be/...da-bda9-e.html
Old April 9, 2013, 05:20 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

No.

The Single Action only BHP/FN is not like some guns originally designed to be DA/SA but with some versions adapted to be SA only. There's too much that would have to be added and changed, and no space in which to do it

FN has made models that LOOK a lot like BHPs but which are DA/SA; they're not true BHPs.
Old April 9, 2013, 06:28 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

SFS...

Cylinder-slide.com offers a cool SFS system for P35/HP type models.
The Safe Fast Secure design allows the pistol to work a lot like a single action but you carry it hammer down(safety on).
I looked into buying a factory new FNH Hi Power 9x19mm in the mid 2000s.
If I had the $ I would have picked it up.
See Karl Sokal's Chestnut Mountain Sports in VT or www.cylinder-slide.com about custom HP work.

CF
Old April 9, 2013, 06:52 PM   #5
shouldazagged

A BDA--Browning Double Action--version was manufactured for a while. I remember seeing one some years ago. Don't know if they can be found today or not.
Old April 9, 2013, 07:02 PM   #6
g.willikers

For far less money and hassle, just get a CZ75, 'etc, and have both a SA and DA in the same gun.
Old April 9, 2013, 07:04 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

safe fast shooting....

The Cylinder & Slide SFS system is safe fast shooting.

Old April 9, 2013, 07:11 PM   #8
RickB

Browning, that is, FN, made at least two or three different models that resembled the HP, the BDA among them, but with DA triggers. None of them was very popular, so you should be able to find one, cheap.
What are we trying to do? That is, why would you want to convert a HP to double action?
Old April 9, 2013, 08:04 PM   #9
BOBno1

I think I need a teaching moment.

DA, cocked and locked with safety on, hammer rests forward and you disengage safety and pull trigger.

vs.

SA, cocked and locked with safety on, hammer is cocked and back.
Old April 9, 2013, 08:52 PM   #10
BOBno1

My friend, retired military, police says that for concealed carry a person is foolish to use a SA firearm. I just know that I love my Hipower that I've had for 40 years.
Old April 9, 2013, 09:44 PM   #11
Laz

Quote:
says that for concealed carry a person is foolish to use a SA firearm
Why is that? Did he elaborate?

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old April 9, 2013, 11:49 PM   #12
BOBno1

I'm going to get him to come to my house tomorrow and show him this and I'll give you his reasoning and then you can kick his ass in public. He is a great guy. I'll respond tomorrow. OK
Old April 10, 2013, 01:10 AM   #13
tipoc

Quote:
Browning, that is, FN, made at least two or three different models that resembled the HP, the BDA among them, but with DA triggers.
In the U.S. in the 1970s Browning marketed a gun made for them by Sig (the P220) as the Browning BDA for several years.

Later in the 80s FN designed it's own da/sa gun. It had the trials for a new service sidearm in the U.S. in mind, which the M92 won.

You can see a pic of it here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_BDA

Not many were sold in the U.S. as I recall.

tipoc
Old April 10, 2013, 09:11 AM   #14
ClydeFrog

Browning BDA .45acp...

I read a interesting item a long time ago, that in the series pilot for NBC's Miami Vice, "Sonny" Crockett used a BDA .45acp pistol as a sidearm.

The producers later changed & tweaked a few elements of the cop series and changed Crockett's main gun to a then new(prototype) D&D Bren 10 10mm.
This prop pistol was also converted to fire .45acp blanks to save $ and speed up production.

CF
www.imfdb.org
Old April 10, 2013, 11:16 AM   #15
RickB

Quote:

DA, cocked and locked with safety on, hammer rests forward and you disengage safety and pull trigger.

vs.

SA, cocked and locked with safety on, hammer is cocked and back.
Normal conditions of readiness would be:
DA = hammer down on loaded chamber, pull trigger to fire (uncocked and unlocked). Most DA guns do not offer a "cocked and locked" option as they either have no manual safety, or the safety doubles as a decocker.

SA = hammer cocked, safety on (a/k/a cocked and locked); flip safety off then pull trigger to fire.

I've never carried anything but a cocked 'n' locked single action auto, including a Hi-Power, for self-defense.
Old April 10, 2013, 03:34 PM   #16
BOBno1

RickB
Normal conditions of readiness would be:
DA = hammer down on loaded chamber, pull trigger to fire (uncocked and unlocked). Most DA guns do not offer a "cocked and locked" option as they either have no manual safety, or the safety doubles as a decocker.

SA = hammer cocked, safety on (a/k/a cocked and locked); flip safety off then pull trigger to fire.

I've never carried anything but a cocked 'n' locked single action auto, including a Hi-Power, for self-defense.

I can't find the guy today. After reading your info, it shouldn't matter. I've never concealed carry my Hipower but have taken it with me in my car most always. I have never and would be a little afraid to carry the gun with the hammer back and I can't say why. I do like the concept of simply pulling the trigger.
Old April 10, 2013, 05:06 PM   #17
curt.45

the right one is DA the left one is SA both LOOK like a browning Hipower but they are not and they were a lot less $$$.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4100020rs.jpg (43.1 KB, 81 views)
Old April 10, 2013, 06:20 PM   #18
RickB

The DA Hungarian H-Power. Actually more like a S&W 59 than a Hi-Power, though the looks are somewhat HPish. That gun has led a lot of people to believe that all HPs are DA, since the HP trigger, located in the middle of the trigger guard, resembles that on a lot of DA pistols.

Here are a couple of "Browning" (FN) DA pistols that clearly resemble the HP: http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/be/...da-bda9-e.html
Old April 11, 2013, 02:09 AM   #19
cheezhed

I have an Arcus 9mm pistol that is quite similar to a HI-POWER. I shoot it often
and like it a lot. It was reasonable in price and accepts the same mags as a
HI-POWER.