The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 20, 2013, 04:54 PM   #1

Seeing sights at night

Do you all feel that you could honestly snuff out a bad guy at night with factory sights on your handgun of choice? (Cant remember the name of the sights on my xd9, but they are the white dots). Has anyone actually shot in the dark at targets? I cant shoot on my property, so i cant answer my own question. Any help?
Old January 20, 2013, 05:39 PM   #2
g.willikers

Knowing how to use a flashlight is a must for shooting in the dark.
As much for target identification as anything else.
Everyone, even your visiting mother in law, looks the same in the dark - scary.
An airsoft pistol is good for night time practice.
Old January 20, 2013, 05:52 PM   #3

I have a tac light on my m&p. ct laser on my kimber. Nothing on my xd9. I have very good l.e.d. small flashlights i could wear on my belt when packin the 9mm. But i like the comfort factor. (Less on my belt the better.) very good point about everyone looking the same in the dark. Never put that spin on it. Kinda feel creepy that i never thought of that. I might as well put a viridian tac light on the xd9 as well. Very eye opening reply. Thank you
Old January 20, 2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Light by my gun on my night stand for in bedroom social work but oif I go into the house It is replaced with one of my shotguns. A little more confidence factor in looking down a long barrel at boogerman light or no light. House is never completely dark, we have all kinds of night lights both inside and outside. Were to old to be stumbling around in the dark. Seeing my revolver sights in the dark would be like trying to fish for trout in a bathtub. Night sight days are long gone for old peepers.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 20, 2013, 06:28 PM   #5
coachteet

Heck no!! I definitely wouldn't rely on sights in general in the dark/low light situations. In most outside the home self defense situations, you aren't likely using your sights anyway. They tend to be reactionary, point-and-shoot scenarios at very close range. I keep a laser on my pocket pistol, and my HD pistol has a streamlight TLR flashlight mounted.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Puddle

+1 for a good flashlight. You can pick up a small/medium sized Surefire for about 100 bucks. Just keep it next to your home defense firearm of choice so you can easily find it when you have to get your weapon.

Mine sits next to my HD handgun of choice right in the Gunvault with a spare magazine.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:36 PM   #7

I should have specified that i was talking about a scenario that would take place outside the home. I apologize for being vague. I do keep flashlights in my mini vaults with my home protection handgunS.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:17 PM   #8
MLeake

I would really avoid using expressions such as, or thinking in terms of, "snuffing out a bad guy." First, because it may unconsciously condition you toward actions that go beyond lawful self-defense; and second, because if you ever are involved in a self-defense scenario, odds are the police and DA will check out your online forum participation, and decide your actions were premeditated.

As far as seeing the sights, if light is suitable to identify a target, there is usually enough reflected light to see the sights.

The fact that you never thought about target identification is extremely disturbing.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:46 PM   #9

Mleake

As far as the verbage i use, this was a saying we used in the military. Didnt really think "big brother" would research my posts. Point taken. As far as being disturbing, i dont mean im gonna pull the trigger without knowing. I too was shocked that i had not really thought about. Which i should have. Ive learned a lesson that will stick with me forever. I was actually thinking about a dark alley type situation. I shoulda chose my words better. Point taken.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:52 PM   #10

Fwiw, i have seen battle. My wording on this topic wouldnt leave you to believe that. For this i apologize mleake