The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 17, 2012, 09:11 PM   #26
tlm225

I've had three phases in my life-

-Sell them to pay bills/put food on the table
-Sell/trade for the next "gotta have" gun
-Buy and keep, I don't have many but they all serve a purpose and accomplish it well

In the first phase I was a cash strapped young man with a family in the military
In the second phase I was solvent and trying to find the gun
In my final phase I've figured out what works for me
Old May 18, 2012, 12:33 AM   #27
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamItOne
I personally am very happy with all of my firearms, I usually spend a good deal of time debating on guns. Maybe I've just gotten lucky with my buys. But I can't see selling one to fund another purchase or because I got bored with it...
I traded up twice in a row. I bought an inexpensive new .22 semi-auto rifle and traded it in toward what I thought was a more desirable used .22 lever action. But after shooting each of them for a while, I found that neither of them really met my needs.
So I traded in the .22 lever action toward a much more desirable center fire rifle that was a limited production and which I still own today many years later. Even though there was a small monetary loss on each of the 1st two trade in's, I wouldn't have been able to come up with the cash for the last gun as easily as by simply trading in a gun which I wasn't totally thrilled with the performance of anyway.
Now I've also reaquired the same 1st model of .22 semi-auto again, which I did have a particular use for a short period of time. But I don't use it that much and I now have other .22's that are more suitable for the purpose. So I may keep it for occasional use, or let my kids have it some day, or sell it if I think that there's another gun that I want more.
People keep what they really want to keep and they sell the guns that may not really care much about either way. If that's considered to be boredom then so be it. But I tend to think that keeping a gun is more about weighing its current suitability and usefulness against buying another gun or using the money from the sale for something else altogether.

Last edited by arcticap; May 19, 2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old May 18, 2012, 03:04 AM   #28
GM2

Never sold one, have given one away to Brother-in-law, Have more than I really need and plan on keeping them for the rest of my life, then they will be passed on to Children and Grandchildren . (Not to soon I hope )
Old May 18, 2012, 04:02 AM   #29
nauga

Howdy, new guy here.
I love my guns, I think they're beautiful from a purely mechanical point of view. I have as much fun disassembling and cleaning them as I do shooting them.
Every time I sell one I regret it for a few days or years. Well, except for an SKS I owned once. Oh, and a CAI Tantal Sporter. One was ugly, and the other was a POS.
Not long ago, I acquired then sold a stainless Ruger MkII Government Competition model. I called the guy and told him I'd give him a piece of reloading equipment if he brought it back. That gun was just too pretty to let go.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:30 AM   #30
CajunBass

Same reason I'd sell a shovel, or a used car.

I don't want it anymore. If I wanted it, I'd keep it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 18, 2012, 09:42 AM   #31
Skans

I go through different "gun phases" just like most people.

Phase 1 - cheap revolvers
Phase 2 - Varmint Rifles
Phase 3 - Semi-auto 9mm's
Phase 4 - Assault Pistols (semi-auto; late '80's)
Phase 5 - Military Style Rifles
Phase 6 - High Capacity handguns and anything "banned"
Phase 7 - Machinegun
Phase 8 - O/U Shotguns
Phase 9 - small carry guns
Phase 10 - The "Classics" - Pythons & 1st Gen Colts.

I'm sort of entering into a new phase - becoming interested limited production high-quality semi-autos. I'm still in the acquiring mode for the classics, military style rifles, and carry guns. Every now and then I'll purge the things that are just taking up space and don't "do it" for me anymore. Here's a short list of things I've sold in the past:

1960's S&W Model 10;
INA knock-off of a S&W snub-nose .38;
Remington 700 22-250;
'50's Chinese SKS;
Closed Bolt Ingram M10;
Open Bolt Cobray M10 Carbine;
Taurus PT-99; Ruger 10-22

I'm sure there were others, but that's all I can recall for now. Of those, I don't really regret selling any of them - well, maybe I wouldn't mind still having that Model 10 - it was a great shooter. But, the money acquired from selling these guns went back into buying higher quality firearms. I think I may be ready to purge a few more things, but before I do, I want to have something "earmarked" for acquisition.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:50 AM   #32
huntinaz

I like buying and selling guns. If I see a good deal on something that I am maybe only moderately interested in, I'll buy it if I know I can make money. Then I take it out and shoot it. Sometimes I love the gun and keep it, sometimes it goes on the chopping block next time I see something I know I want. Sometimes I buy something I think I want and it ends up not living up to expectations. I have no trouble selling something I don't care for, or if I want something else more. Unless it's something I really want though, I'm buying at prices that I can at least break even on. Most of the time I make $50-$100 on resale.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:58 AM   #33
RickB

I've never sold a gun for any reason than to fund another gun. I sold four guns in 2010, to buy a gun that was supposed to be introduced that year, but am still waiting. I've been tempted a few times to spend the money on my car.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:34 PM   #34
BGutzman

You sell because you realize you bought a gun that doesnt go bang every time you pull the trigger AND you have eliminated the possibility that the ammo is at fault. - see Taurus

or

You realize you bought a gun to be a mall ninja and now you have matured. - See Glock
Old May 18, 2012, 01:35 PM   #35
9ballbilly

I think most long time gun owners go through a normal evolutionary process as their needs and wants change over time. For me it started with (aside from the obligatory .22) heavy caliber revolvers as my main focus was big game hunting. After that I mostly gave up hunting and also served as a LEO. At this point the long barreled revolvers left in favor of mid-caliber 9mm, .40 S&W double action autoloaders. Finally, thirty years later, I use handguns for SD in the great outdoors and informal target shooting. The four that I currently own will, I think, remain with me for the rest of my life without any change. They are: 1. Ruger mkIII .22lr
2. S&W bodyguard .38spl+P
3. RIA 1911A1 match .45acp
4. Ruger Blackhawk .45 colt
Old May 18, 2012, 08:04 PM   #36
Justice06RR

I've sold them in the past to buy a different one and learn/experience a different platform/brand. I'd really would've loved to keep them all, but i'm not made of money.
Old May 18, 2012, 08:22 PM   #37
rtpzwms

Death.... mine, nuf said.
Old May 18, 2012, 09:08 PM   #38
RaySendero

Well...I've traded 2 and sold 4 in my lifetime. Wish I had 2 of'em back
Old May 18, 2012, 09:32 PM   #39
zulthor

As other have said, I usually sell guns to fund purchasing different guns.

I am not a collector. If I have multiple guns that fill the same roll I sell one.

I'd rather have one gun really tuned to my specifications than have a bunch of off the rack rifles.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:14 AM   #40
buck460XVR

If I sell a gun, it's generally cause I don't shoot it, AND it has no sentimental value. The reason I don't shoot it may be because I don't like it, or because it is of a platform than I don't need. Guns are just tools, and useless tools have no place in my life. Tools passed down or given to me by ancestors or friends are cherished, regardless of their worth.
Old May 20, 2012, 01:55 PM   #41
InigoMontoya

Sign me up as another who never sells.

Nor have I ever traded.

If I buy a gun, I intend for my widow to have to deal with it (hopefully later rather than sooner).

If I want a better gun, I go buy it... But that doesn't mean I have to get rid of the "inferior" gun. It simply becomes a loaner gun or perhaps a field gun when I expect to be in really rough terrain and don't want my "good" gun to get all scratched up.

And then there are the guns I've purchased and have never fired... Nor do I have any intentions of firing them. Best example of that would be a 1936 German Army issue Lugar. It's nothing special from the perspective of a collector of fine arms. One of the serial numbers doesn't match. Doesn't matter. It's special to me and I'll likely never fire it.
Old May 20, 2012, 02:20 PM   #42
mapsjanhere

I recently sold a couple to finance two other purchases.One was a Russian capture frankenluger, the other a 4" 44 Mag. Bought both as shooters, didn't like either of them. Got an unfired S&W 29 out of it, 10" barrel. Not sure yet if I ever fire it.
Old May 20, 2012, 04:06 PM   #43
graysmoke

Pending on what happens within our nations politics. Soon nobody will be selling their guns or ammo, and holding on to them.
And I believe, it will be very dificult to purchase certain firearms and ammo.

Semi-autos will be hard to find, and purchase due to restrictions. Making revolvers the most desired, and must have handguns.
Prices will Sky-Rocket on revolvers.
Old May 21, 2012, 09:43 PM   #44
doofus47

Guns have uses or, well, they don't get used.

And that would be a shame.

I sell guns when I don't have a use for them or their use overlaps so I eliminate them for logistical reasons--there's only so much room in the safe...

I sold my Tokarev and remaining ammo when I realized that a year had gone by and I had always pulled another pistol first on range day. Liked the pistol, but not as much as my more recent buys.

I sold my M&N44 when I realized that I was never going to get the call up from my Texas buddies for hog hunting. Loved the short, accurate, easy aiming M44, but with no use, it was best to move it along.

I sold my Hakim after my brush gun project fell through. I then realized that my 30-06 and its backup were a complete overlap of my 8mm bolt rifles as far as hunting was concerned, so I sold the Mausers.

I sold my #2 biathlon rifle when I realized that I liked my #1 much better. The season is too short to try to maintain 2 rifles.

I"m looking for a reason to stay in the 9mm Luger game, but I might be closing out that niche later this year as well.

K.I.S.S
Old May 21, 2012, 11:59 PM   #45
johnwilliamson062

I buy lots of used guns try them out and then sell them.

I bought an AR pretty much knowing I would sell it later. I just wanted to get some trigger time on one and you can't rent 'em by the month.

There are a lot of gun designs out there and I can't afford to own them all at one time or to securely store them all.
Old May 22, 2012, 01:12 AM   #46
Sphawley

For myself I am a very young guy at 22 with a vast collection of weapons...and at this stage I never plan to sell a weapon, once mine always mine.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:14 PM   #47
nimbleVagrant

Recently sold a P220, just 'cause it was there takin' up space. It was a great little pistol but there was nothing really special about it; no more or less accurate or reliable than any other P220. If I ever want another I can go to any gun shop or show and find one.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:43 AM   #48
Master Blaster 2

I have sold a few this year to make room for more that I have bought. Didn't need money. Needed the room.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:04 AM   #49
youngunz4life

Quote:
Why do you sell a gun
1)I have no choice and need the money desperately and/or the gun is unreliable in my opinion

or

2)I just want a bill of sale for my file cabinet to 'cover my butt' whther one is necessary or not when I am basically giving a weapon to a family member who buys a house after marriage as one of many examples, etc, etc ,etc.

*($5 sale or whatever number you choose to write....I don't transfer a weapon in any fashion without something showing it is out of my hands)
Old May 25, 2012, 08:07 AM   #50
whitefeathersniper

get bored with it
didnt turn out as what you thought it was going to be like
to fund other hobbies
it sat for years unfired
interests evolve
you see something better
to pay bills

Tags
gun , sell