The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 17, 2011, 06:05 PM   #1
irish52084

Fighting dirty?

I don't know how many of us have thought about this, so I thought I'd bring it up.

How hard and dirty are you willing to fight in a street fight? Do you adjust your level of "fight" based on perceived threat? Are you unwilling to fight dirty? Do you train to fight or defend yourself with something other than a firearm, or at least to get to your gun?

I know for me, if I feel threatened I have no qualms about fighting dirty. I don't think twice about the old groin kick/punch, eye gouge, biting etc... If you're going to attack me you better be willing to accept some serious pain in return, cuz I'm in it to win, not to look good doing it.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:08 PM   #2
tape

my fighting days of rolling around on the ground is over, the only fight I'm going to be in is a gunfight.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:11 PM   #3
irish52084

So are you saying that if someone grabs you and drags you to the ground you just give up if you can't get to your weapon? Surely this is not true.

I'm not talking about strictly fist fights here, but more or less how you respond to a situation forced upon you with physical violence.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:18 PM   #4
bigbaby

Once it starts your instincts take over. The only thing 'dirty' would be getting your ass kicked because you were thinking; especially about how you should respond. If someone owes you money or has disrespected your sister maybe you measure your response, but if you are attacked, you must assume it is your life that is on the line.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:19 PM   #5
tape

I'm 50 and disabled, and yes, if I can't get to my weapon I through. I have a dislocated fractured vertebrae in my neck and plagued with chronic pain, I'm easy to give an asswhip'n too.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:37 PM   #6
ClayInTx

Outside the ring there is no such thing as a dirty fight, and sometimes inside the ring.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:42 PM   #7
Ichiban

Fist fights are for the school yard and the ring. Any physical altercation I get involved in will not be started by me and will be perceived as a life or death situation, thus it will fought with no "rules."
Old May 17, 2011, 06:43 PM   #8
BeachHead

It doesn't matter if it's a life or death encounter, or a fight where someone just wants to rough me up -- I'd fight to win.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Pahoo

A real fight, is kind of like sex; If it aint dirty, you're not doing it right. ....

I'd like to think that there is one more good fight left in me but some mornings, I really question that. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old May 17, 2011, 06:54 PM   #10
Roger Ronas

Losing sucks. You fight to win, there are no rules in a fight.
Just like I don't understand "Rules of engagement" or rules of war, when you are in a war it's all out fight to win.

RCR
Old May 17, 2011, 06:58 PM   #11
BeachHead

My thoughts exactly. Would you want to risk getting the snot kicked outta you or possibly worse, all because you thought it'd be sporting to fight on a level playing field? No. Capitalize and take advantage wherever and whenever you can.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:06 PM   #12
gearhounds

Outside of professional competition, there is no such thing as a fair fight. To me, as an LEO, a fair fight is the one I win.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:13 PM   #13
ripnbst

"Just like I don't understand "Rules of engagement" or rules of war, when you are in a war it's all out fight to win."

Well there are rules of war so that when we are in Afghanistan and Iraq we don't kill everything that moves. The tribal wars in Africa where they rape and kill women, those are wars with no rules.

Streetfights are meant to be fought dirty. I have never been in a true "fight" knock on wood. But if I were, one of us is going to the hospital no doubt about it cuz I am not stopping until its that way on one side or the other. If you are conscious, I'm striking you again. If I am conscious, I'm striking you again.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:16 PM   #14
dreamweaver

there are no rules in a street fight.
do unto others before they do unto you.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:18 PM   #15
tape

never been in a true fight lol, I got pool cue and beer bottle imprints in my skull
Old May 17, 2011, 07:24 PM   #16
highvel

Fair is whatever it takes!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old May 17, 2011, 07:33 PM   #17
publius

My days of "bar brawling" over stupid stuff ended in college. If I get in a fight today it will be real and dangerous, eye gouging, groin kicking/grabbing/, biting are all on the table.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:47 PM   #18
tony pasley

Rules for fighting-" I win."
Old May 17, 2011, 07:52 PM   #19
WC145

Fighting dirty?

Is there any other way?
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old May 17, 2011, 07:52 PM   #20
chadstrickland

as someone already said..in the street there is no such thing as a fair fight...fight as if your life is on the line..because it may well be...
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old May 17, 2011, 07:58 PM   #21
C0untZer0

Kicking someone in the balls is fighting dirty.

Shooting him in the balls - well there's just no phrase to adequately describe that.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:58 PM   #22
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Well, I expect this to be closed shortly, and not without reason (only the least of which is the attempt to evade the language filters- thanks "tape").

But the fact is that if someone attacks you, they are already fighting dirty.

This 2011. Not 1011. There is no honor or chivalry in modern society. There is law. Well established and well enforced law. And if you break the law, expect to be punished by the person you attack firstly and the state secondly. This is not England. While you may be arrested for defending yourself, self preservation is every man (or woman's) right.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:04 PM   #23
egor20

IMHO a "fair" is a place to look at horses, sheep and goats, eat cotton candy and ride the ferris wheel. A fight is a bit different. I prefer fairs myself.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old May 17, 2011, 08:11 PM   #24
tape

you're welcome Swamp
Old May 17, 2011, 08:18 PM   #25
Catfishman

I'm all for defending myself to the end. But, every situation is different. Sometimes, I would avoid groin kicking, etc. I don't want to be on the ground hoping for mercy from a guy(s) with sore XXXXs.