The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 7, 2012, 08:55 AM   #51
Opinated

Most of my shotgun use has been with older hammerless doubles with the thumb safety on top. Easy to see the position of the safety and easy to operate. The Mossberg appeals to me for that reason. I do have a 500 and a Remington 870, both lightly used. I do not like the Remington safety. But the Remington cycles smoother. For home defense, I keep the Mossberg with live shell about halfway into the chamber and action about half open, safety ON. To use, the slide is moved forward to close the action and the safety is pushed forward.
Old September 8, 2012, 10:13 PM   #52
PT-92

9mm,

Mossberg/cheap is a great example of an oxymoron . Not being sarcastic but that's a fact. Now one might say they prefer the 870 over the 500 because they believe it's better quality but it would not logically conclude, by doing so, that the 870 was chosen because the 500 was "cheap" (IMO).

I have Remington Semis so I am a big-time Remington fan--Yet I have the 500 as well as a Maverick 88 (with over 3K fired for trap) and my Mossy's are great guns.
Old September 8, 2012, 10:27 PM   #53
D.Ogle

I've owned my M500 pump 12 ga. for 42 years,about 10000 rounds through it mostly buckshot,have never had a problem with it Cheap in price so to say,but cheap no way.
Old September 9, 2012, 07:27 AM   #54
TheNatureBoy

Cheaply made. Who cares? Just screw a modified choke in it, shoot some
2 3/4 number ones and don't worry about it.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:25 PM   #55
scottd913

any one thought to thank all the stars in all the heavens that you can purchase a quality firearm at an inexpensive cost like a Mossberg. in fact i wrote a letter to Mossberg just today thanking them for not being just another GREEDY company trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of us. I also thanked them for making such a fine dependable weapon such as all the 500's and mavrick88's i have and have had.
scott
Old September 12, 2012, 10:50 PM   #56
9mm

about to buy it, lgs is getting more in stock in a few weeks. Maybe not a truck gun though, I rather get a cheap $100 single shot for that now. You all talked me into this lol.
Old September 13, 2012, 08:09 AM   #57
PT-92

Quote:
scottd913
i
any one thought to thank all the stars in all the heavens that you can purchase a quality firearm at an inexpensive cost like a Mossberg. in fact i wrote a letter to Mossberg just today thanking them for not being just another GREEDY company trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of us. I also thanked them for making such a fine dependable weapon such as all the 500's and mavrick88's i have and have had.
scott
Agreed and you're correct IMO in that it's so rare nowadays to see American Companies offer good quality products at great prices--in particular when the Chinese are dumping (essentially cloned) high quality shotguns (computer chips etc...) onto the U.S. market at rock bottom prices. Even their 930 line of semi-autos are affordably priced .
Old September 26, 2012, 09:22 PM   #58
9mm

I got it last week, very happy with it. Modded with Houge grips, way better than hard plastic factory. I like both my 870 and 500, they both are park finish. The 500 has an double extractor which is nice. Only thing I don't like is no ramp to protect the shells from falling out like the 870 does. I have a 410 mossberg 500 which from time to time a shell will fall out when loading.
Old September 26, 2012, 09:58 PM   #59
PT-92

Quote:
Today, 09:22 PM #58
9mm

...Only thing I don't like is no ramp to protect the shells from falling out like the 870 does. I have a 410 mossberg 500 which from time to time a shell will fall out when loading.
That's a good point as I have heard people argue both ways--Shooters such as you that like the Remington elevator ramp and opponents of it that love the fact that there is no 'obstacle' to fumble with during tactical reloads and the like. All about personal preference.

-Cheers
Old September 26, 2012, 10:11 PM   #60
9mm

Yeah, I went to shoot the 410 once, and was like click! and notice a shell on the floor.

But once I held this, I feel its made well, no rattle or creeps. The 410 feels "cheap" IMO. It's more a hunting gun also, theres the ribbed barrel and not smooth top.

Took a month but worth the thinking about it, if anyone out there wants one you should buy one.

My 500 is different than some of the others I notice. The stock isn't "cheap" it's a solid fill, I notice this combo pack of 18/28 barrels the stock was hallow and could smash it with my hands. My stock is nice and heavy plastic stock.
Old September 27, 2012, 05:43 AM   #61
Pistolgripshotty

Mssberg